“Very nice...great taste...good service...right size portions...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maize Cantina - CLOSED

Maize Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
Greensboro
“Very nice...great taste...good service...right size portions...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

A relatively small footprint in a non-descript strip mall is a bit of an unusual location, however once inside I was very impressed with the quality of the service, the cleanliness of the restaurant and the food. The menu is a nice change of pace from more common mexican/southwest fare. The portions are "right sized", that is they are not overwhelmingly large, so not a place to share entries unless you choose to also have appitizers, etc.. I look forward to a return visit.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Fresh and Flavorful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I dined here last night and I was very pleased. We both started the evening with cocktails that did not skimp on spirits. We shared a spicy shrimp appetizer in a light cream sauce ( lol ) with toast points. Very nice. Shrimp was cooked to perfection and the cream sauce was delightful. My entrée was a salad made of romaine, spinach, olives, goat cheese and red onions. I am forgetting an ingredient but regardless it is one of the most impressive and memorable salads I think I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. I added grilled steak which again was cooked perfectly. My husband ordered the Santa Fe sandwich which is slow roasted pork, cheese. bacon and avocado. He was quite impressed. Again, these are flavors that are blended to enhance your experience. The food is fresh and prepared daily. A delightful blend of flavors, great service, fair prices and wonderful ambiance. Good luck to a well run family business.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank acocktailaday
“Great New Mexico food in North Carolina”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

If you are near High Point, you will want to stop here. The food although a little spicy was excellent and very very tasty. There are many choices. Green and red chilles

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Was excited to go try and disappointed!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Went with a group of friends and luckily not in a hurry . We were seated right away... But not given menus for either food or drink. After a good 10 minutes we had to ask for a waiter and menus. Waiter seemed confused when we asked if any specials or any of his favorites. We ordered drinks and appetizer... They came but waiter still had not asked for orders. Finally we gave our orders. We waited one hour for our food... When we asked the waiter where our food was several times, he again seemed confused and went to check on it. There were five of us, food arrived and two orders were cold... Remember this is an hour later, we are very hungry! Three were ok, certainly not worth the wait.. We asked to see the manager and we were told to busy to stop and come see us. Never came to our table! Waited for checks and decided this place needs a lot of help. Don't know if the owner and manager is the same person ... But they certainly have a ways to go to get it right. The actually restaurant decor is beautiful... So I hope they can get it right. Probably wont go back

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Denna K
Greensboro, North Carolina
“New Mexico is now 1674 miles closer to High Point, NC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We've been to Santa Fe, NM twice in the past 8 months, and while there, I reviewed several restaurants. Although we'll return to Santa Fe, we no longer need to go there to get good New Mexican food. It is now available here in High Point / Greensboro, NC!
The difference between New Mexican food and Mexican food is considerable. The former is much more refined and creative than the latter---NM's more interesting and tastier. Maize Cantina has nailed it! Their food is every bit as good as some of the better places we ate at in Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Espanola, Cerrillos, etc.
We had a late lunch there, and were impressed with the restaurant's ambiance. Simple, spacious, comfortable, with tasteful decoration. But many nice looking places' food does not match the decor. Such is not the case here. Good food / good atmosphere.
My lunch consisted of carne adovada, made extra spicy for me. The meat is slow roasted pork shoulder that has been cut into chunks and is served with an amazing sauce whose recipe I won't get--even if I ask. As a side, I had calabacitas--pan fried corn kernels, finely diced zucchini, and garlic. And, or course, I had pinto beans with onion (and hot chili sauce by me).
My wife chose tacos de pesca. She received two nice tacos stuffed with seared mahi, aged white cheddar cheese, finely sliced greens, and a wonderful crema agrio sauce. She, too, ordered the calabacitas. For dessert, we shared a tall martini glass filled with natillas, which is similar to flan, but creamier and less solid. We had two spoons, two cookies, and two smiles.
It goes without saying that we'll return to Maize--no doubt about it. It is so much easier than flying to Albuquerque and then driving up to Santa Fe, but the food's just as good. We remembered as soon as our plates arrived that New Mexican food is a melding of Spanish, Mexican, and Native American influences. It's all about creativity.

• Visited August 2013