“Choppy Experience”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Well. It was okay. But, come on. The place looks more like a Denny's than an upscale steakhouse. The waitress was nice enough. The food was okay. The prices were fine. But the atmosphere is lacking....dull might be a better description.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was our first visit to the Mendenhall Chop House. We had a party of twelve for dinner and had made reservations in advance. The table could only accommodate ten so we had to squeeze tightly in order to get the other couple seated....not a big problem but none the less, not ideal. The wait staff was very attentive and the food was very good, nice presentation as well. The atomsphere was not quite what I expected, however, it was nice enough. I thought it was a little pricey but we would probably go again.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Had a wonderful dinner for two during the busy holidays. Very attentive service throughout the meal and absolutely mouth watering steaks cooked to perfection. Will definitely return soon!

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Another business dinner of 5. Service was excellent. Arrived at 7:30 on Tuesday and the place was full. We had reservation's for 8PM and by the time we sat down the place had started clearing out. I had the lightly crusted baked Cod. it was the best! Once again everyone enjoyed what they had. This area of NC is full of great restaurants.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Went to the Chop House in High Point, NC on 19 Dec for my wife's birthday. Reserved a table for 1 pm for a leisurely lunch--I thought. Restaurant was crowded as was the parking lot so I let my wife out and found a parking space in a back/side lot. I was escorted to a table in the back of the restaurant where my wife was waiting. Room was full with Christmas parties, etc. Not a problem as we were not in a hurry. We both ordered tea and my ordered wine. Both came in a few minutes. We ordered from our waitress and she brought our salad dressings in small pourers shortly thereafter.

The room had cleared out as the normal lunch hour had passes. I looked up and someone was approaching with a tray of food. I said to my wife that our order was here and she said that it couldn't be since we hadn't received our salads yet. I was right! Her salmon and my steak had arrived, delivered by someone other than our waitress. We told her that we hadn't even received our salads yet. She said she would get us salads, which she did as we ate our meals which had arrived 5 minutes after ordering! So much for a leisurely lunch. In hind sight I should have sent the food back, but I didn't want to spoil the birthday celebration. That was a mistake on my part. When the substitute came back with the salads we also needed some catsup which she delivered about 1/3 through our meal. Halfway through our meal our waitress showed up with our salads! We already had salads--which we were not eating since we were eating our entrees--so she took back the extra salads. Obviously things weren't going well!

I had decided that there would be no tip and that I would talk to "the" manager when we left. My wife wanted dessert but I said no. We got the bill, paid, and I suggested my wife go to the car while I talked to "the" manager. I asked to talk to the manager but talked to "one" of the managers--Mark--who was NOT "the" manager. He assured me that that was not supposed to happen at this restaurant--but it did! We left the restaurant but I was still upset.

Later that evening I realized that we weren't offered bread with our meal. I called the restaurant to see if that was part of a normal meal and was told that it was. Now I was even more upset. I guess we could have taken the bread with us and eaten it as dessert.

This was our first and needless to say our last visit to this restaurant. The zero tip was TOO much--they should have paid us.