“What a disappointment!”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Turkish
Saint Louis, Missouri
“What a disappointment!”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

On the recommendation of a highly rated local chef I took my assistant to dinner at Sumela on October 21, 2013.

The place is absolutely nothing to look at. The waitstaff that we encountered was very nice but clearly not very professional.

My assistant ordered a dinner salad with chicken. I ordered hummus and on the recommendation of the local Chef ordered the beef tenderloin shish kebab dinner. The hummus was good. My assistant salad was "nothing to write home about". My dinner which was supposedly beef tenderloin was tuff, massively over seasoned and over cooked. The accompanying items that came with the dinner, rice, vegetables and a bean dish were all either tasteless or disgusting.

The major draw to High Point North Carolina is the home furnishings market. During market One can literally eat from morning tonight. I'm not rare occasion when I decide to go to a restaurant I would hope that they would be at the top of their game given the massive number of visitors that are in the city.

Though the cost of this meal would have been considered reasonable relative to High Point market cost I would not return. If you can't put out good food when markets going on I can't imagine how you can stay in business in this otherwise sleepy little town.

Definitely drive by this one.

Visited October 2013

• Turkish first
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Understated Restaurant w Excellent Food”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We tend to look for good Restaurants with healthy Mediterranean Cuisine. Casual and super affordable. Chopped salad and Mediterranean salad are two of the best salads in the triad. Try some of the many side dishes and appetizers...or the main entrées, you can't go wrong. In town for the Furniture Market and just want good quality, fresh healthy food? Give it a try.

Visited October 2013
High Point, North Carolina
“Great lunch spot!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We go often for lunch, but in my opinion it is slightly overprice. The owner is Turkish and super friendly. The chicken salad is wonderful, all white meat and no onions! The hummus is outstanding, a great appetizer. The burgers are large and tasty. The baklava can be on the dry side, but has a good flavor and is only $1.25, so a good price.

Visited June 2013
South Carolina
“Average Gyro's”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stopped in for a late lunch using the yelp app and gyro as the search word.
The menu has lots of mediterranean /turkish choices that I would like to try and update my review accordingly.

The gyro was just ok,nothing special and the meat looked and tasted like something the sysco truck would drop off.
The pasta salad I chose for my side was really good.

There were desserts available in the display cooler that looked delish but I had no time to try any.

My server was friendly and kept my cup full.

• Visited May 2013
Greensboro, North Carolina
“EZ goin' Mediterranean near the High Point markets”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Heard about this place from a NC Weekend review on the local PBS station and had to check it out. Plain and simple, and oh, so tasty if you're in the mood for some Turkish and/or Mediterranean eats.
Try the spanokopita - a slightly different take on the Greek version with different phyllo layering, or the Lamahcun - a Turkish meat pie (more like a quesadilla without the cheese) with very interesting spices-yummy. Mixed appetizer had baba ghanoush, hummus, stuffed grape leaves, and piyaz ( a white bean salad). Adana - beef and lamb mix - good too. Vareity of kebabs, gyros, etc., plus American mainstays and pastas. But go for the Turkish!

• Visited March 2013