“Wedding venue review”
Review of J.H. Adams Inn

J.H. Adams Inn
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in High Point
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We had our wedding at the JH Adams Inn in August of 2010. We fell in love with the Inn at first sight, it is stunning. Everything started out wonderfully - they answered emails within hours, had answers to my many, many questions and were fabulous.

The staff that started out so wonderful turned very bad. It started by not being there when we scheduled a meeting. Then not returning emails. Then 1 month before the wedding, we find out that they booked ALL of the rooms at the Inn the weekend of our wedding. There was a University moving in and a PGA championship in town. They even gave away our bridal suite. Luckily, the bridal party was able to stay in a historic house behind the Inn, but all of our guests had to stay 30 min away in Greensboro. They managed to relocate 4 roomful of people- but then when our guests called to book those rooms, they said they were all booked up... a serious lack of communication.

The week before the wedding, I emailed Mena for a final bill- I included the guest count, amount of alcohol, etc. A week and 2 days later I got back a "rough" food estimate. I did not get a final total for the wedding until after all the wedding guests left and I had to personally meet with the staff to pay the bill, instead of enjoying my wedding night. Then they tried to overcharge us $500 for the facility fee.

The bar tending staff was horrible during the wedding. We had 2 bars, and only one was manned at a time- which means we paid to have 2 bottles of each wine opened (costing us about $200) and not having anyone to serve them. They also put a tip jar out for our guests to tip them- despite us paying 30% gratuity included in our price.

The coordinator, Mena, didn't show up until 4pm on the day of the wedding and left at 6pm right after the ceremony. She was less than helpful with dealing with the staff.

This is just the tip of the iceburg of things that the Inn did to cause enormous amounts of stress for us on our wedding day. I loved the Inn, but was so disappointed with the staff. The food however, was fabulous. All of our guests raved about it. But they did almost run out of everything, even though we were 10 people below the count that we gave them.

I don't want to sound all negative, but we had a horrible experience with the Inn. But luckily my bridal party and dj were fabulous and made sure it all got taken care of so none of the other guests knew what was happening behind the scenes.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
10  Thank disappointedbride_10

Reviewed August 10, 2010

This is a wonderful Inn with personality. The staff is awesome and the prices are reasonable for the accomodations. The hotel is convenient to downtown and all sorts of eating. The rooms are beautifully furnished, comfortable and clean.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2010

We recently had our wedding at the JH Adam's Inn and I like to think of myself as a positive person so I would like to first mention the good things...
-The establishment is absolutely gorgeous. We had our wedding ceremony/reception in the tent covered courtyard and could not have asked for it to be more beautiful. We also reserved the whole downstairs for the reception to be able to use that space as well which really opened it up to where people had options of where they would like to spend their time.
-Their prices are very reasonable to reserve the space and they give you a really good deal on rooms if you block off some for your guests.
-The rooms are decorated very nicely. Each room has a different style and design which makes it have the feel of a quaint bed and breakfast.
-The staff for the most part were friendly to our guests but this is where we kind of get into the kinks...

The negatives...
-If you do decide to have your wedding at this location, please make sure that you hold onto your drinks because if you put them down for a second (I am talking full beer/full glass of wine, etc) they will clear it out for right underneath you which I feel is a ploy to make more money off of your event. If you bring your own beer, they charge $1 opening fee per bottle and $10 corking fee per bottle of wine, which I understand because of alcohol taxes but it really started to annoy me as well as our guests because of how much alcohol and money they were making us wasting.
-At times, during the wedding planning process I felt like they had all their "duck in a row" so to speak because they came across as pretty organized. I knew that they host a lot of weddings, but when it came down to it I felt they were the complete opposite. At one point in the night, they lost one of our cases of wine (which miraculously reappeared later) and what tipped the scale for me is the top tier of our wedding cake. I don't know about anyone else, but the last thing that is on a couples mind of their wedding night is remembering to pick up the cake. I was told by guests that they saw them boxing up the cake so I didn't think much else about it that night. When we got back from our honeymoon a week later, I decided to call (since I hadn't received any messages from them) about the cake to see about picking it up and they had thrown away our cake and our expensive wedding cake topper. No phone call inquiring about someone picking it up... NOTHING!

I would definitely recommend having your wedding at the Adam's Inn but just wanted to give you a heads up if you are considering this location as an option for some things you need to look out for.

• Stayed: May 2010
2  Thank troothbetold
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Booked a night when there was a huge wedding going on, but did not hear one sound in our room. Staff extremely accommodating and pleasant. Great b-fast in the a.m. Loved the size of the room and the bathroom. Really good experience overall. Made a reservation for Christmas Eve!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2009

I just got back from a furniture shopping trip in High Point, NC and stayed at the Adams Inn. Loved this hotel and would definitely stay again. The rooms are beautifully decorated like the bedrooms in our homes. The bathroom was large with a large soaking tub and plenty of light (for middle-aged women like myself that can't see to put on make-up!!). If you are looking for a small boutique hotel this is it. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Beth looked up an opening time for me for one of the furniture stores. The restaurant was lovely and very good food. You can also eat outside in the beautiful courtyard. My waiter Brett was super nice. Will definitely stay here again for the next furniture shopping trip!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We just stayed here for 3 nights. The service was wonderful. The people at front desk were extremely nice and helpful. The location was very good for furniture shopping and we got a discount on the room fee for mentioning that. At night we were offered a complimentary glass of wine. The breakfast was a bit meager. If you are a large breakfast eater, this is not the place for you. What was offered (toast, bagels, cereal fresh fruit and on Sat and Sun danish pastries) was more than adequate for us. There was no turn down service anymore. We stayed in a room with a veranda which was very nice and quiet, no street noises. The room was well furnished, the linens nice and the bathroom a good size.There is a large parking lot behind the hotel. There is a restaurant, but we did not eat there so can not review it. There was a wedding at the hotel Saturday night so all hotel guests were excluded from the bar and restaurant. It does make a lovely site for a wedding! Overall, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dkfCT
Reviewed May 24, 2008

My husband and I chose this property while in town for my brother-in-law's graduation from Wake Forest University. Given that we had three days on non-stop ceremonies and celebrations to attend, the J. H. Adams Inn proved to be a welcome respite from our exhaustive itinerary!

Our second floor room (#26) was at the back of the property, so we never heard any street traffic when trying to squeeze in a nap or enjoy a good night's sleep. The bed was extremely comfortable and I liked how the turndown service included both chocolates and a note about the following day's weather. It was a very thoughtful touch, as were the complimentary bottles of water replenished every day in the mini-fridge.

The oversized bathroom was gorgeous, and although I am not prone to long tub soaks, the size of the bath had me reconsidering. Had there been bubble bath provided, I just might have succumbed. Still, there were plenty of other complimentary toiletries, including cotton balls and Q-tips. Again, very thoughtful touches.

My husband and I were a little disappointed that breakfast did not include a hot entree, but the continental fare was still substantial. I especially enjoyed the granola with raisins, pecans and dried cranberries.

We also dined in the restaurant, now called Hampton's, one evening and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The cheese plate was especially good, the night's selection including Gouda, mozzarella and fried Brie with raspberry sauce. We had the restaurant to ourselves and it was a lovely romantic experience.

Should our family remain in the area, we would definitely return to this property when visiting them. The Inn is just 20 min. or so from Winston-Salem and easily accessible from the highway.
Plus, at $139 a night, we considered it a real bargain given the quality and service we experienced.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
#7 of 14 in High Point
Graylyn Estate
Graylyn Estate
#1 of 39 in Winston Salem

Been to J.H. Adams Inn? Share your experiences!