“Wonderful stay at an elegant Inn”
Review of J.H. Adams Inn

J.H. Adams Inn
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in High Point
New York City, NY
“Wonderful stay at an elegant Inn”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My family stayed at the JH Adams Inn during July 25 - 29, 2012. We were interested in looking for furniture and I happened to see a Groupon for this Inn so I purchased a package for a stay there. I have stayed at many luxury/high end hotels and inns and I must say, JH Adams ranks in the TOP 5 for me. Adams Inn is an elegant, beautifully attired hotel.

The staff was extremely friendly, helpful and patient, attending to all our needs promptly. True southern hospitality! The complementary breakfast was delicious, a nice variety, not just some fruit and toast. Really a full breakfast and the kitchen staff was always happy to bring out more food. They also offered a complementary glass of wine every evening. The dining is first class. They even offer Afternoon Tea with a delightful china arrangement and scrumptious pastries. Better than the Plaza Hotel in NYC (I've been there a few times, so I know).

Our rooms were clean, updated and very very comfortable. Wonderful furnishing all made by furniture manufacturers from North Carolina (like Drexel Heritage and Thomasville). They even have rooms with specific themes, like the Asia Room. My mom was in Room 20 and the bathroom was bigger than my apartment! Two Queen-size beds in a large room that was almost like a suite. The hotel is in a good location (Kripsy Kreme just a block away) and they have lots of information about the furniture stores and shopping in the area. The hotel is children friendly and romantic at the same time.

I have highly recommended J H Adams to everyone I know and a couple of friends of mine would like to go furniture shopping next year. I told them, stay at J H Adams! A TRUE GEM of the Piedmont Triad area of North Carolina.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank stefystef

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Staying at the J. H. Adams Inn was a wonderful experience. Even though it was an historical building, the rooms were updated, not old rooms with new paint, REALLY updated with nice furniture, VERY comfortable King bed, roomy bathroom with a really deep bathtub. Our room looked out onto the courtyard which could have been loud, but the room was well insulated, so the occasional people who did visit outside were not a disturbance. The air conditioning system was central - not a unit in the room, so it was quiet during the night.
And the food! We were there for a rehearsal dinner and my dinner was wonderful - beef tenderloin. Breakfast, which was included, was the standard expanded breakfast with eggs, bacon or sausage, cereal, etc. Their coffee was delicious. It was so nice to sit in the courtyard for breakfast and visiting.
Not one person on the staff was rude or even unfriendly. The 1st afternoon when we asked directions to the main desk of the housekeeping staff, and she walked us over to the main desk, Everyone was interested in helping us find anything we needed and recommended nearby neighborhood establishments for our needs.
I would recommend the J. H. Adams Inn anytime - it was a delightful stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank L'Anne S
Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

I have lived in the area my entire life. As a child, I recall going by this house quite often and seeing funeral cars parked on the side drive (driveway no longer there).
I find it interesting that the funeral home story never makes it into the "historical" information that the hotel advertises.

• Stayed June 2011
4 Thank Hunt12
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed March 11, 2012

This place was a pretty sudden decision...which I usually live to regret. NOT THIS TIME!!!
The Inn is in a fabulously remodeled mansion with all the charm intact. The soaring ceilings and archetectural details were amazing. The courtyard was so soothing, I regret we didn't have time to enjoy it more. The sweetest desk clerk greeted us like we were royalty. When I had trouble with the key card, she came to the room and fixed the problem immediately and apologized several times. After a long drive, we went to the small intimate bar for a drink and were surprised to find out we got a complimentary glass of wine. The bartender was friendly and informative, giving us a little bit of house and town history as well as tips on shopping places. Our room was amazing!!!! Again, the high ceilings and details such as plantation shutter were a nice touch. The tub/shower was so big you could get lost in it. The robes a plus. Our bed was so comfortable and the room so quiet we slept late and missed breakfast.

I cannot say enough nice things about the J.H. Adams Inn in High Point. I WILL be back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank horsinaroundwv
Seattle, WA
Reviewed March 9, 2012

We recently stayed here for two nights while furniture shopping in North Carolina. Unless you like chain hotels, I would not stay anywhere else in Highpoint. The rooms and bathrooms are very large and furnished by local furniture companies -- so no two are alike. The continental breakfast is fine, if not "great" but it is served in a gorgeous courtyard room in the main house that has a lovely huge patio out back. This room doubles as the restaurant in the evenings. We did not eat at the restaurant but heard that it is considered one of the two best in Highpoint. The atmosphere is certainly wonderful. There is a great little bar and a free evening glass of wine is offered to guests. The bartendress was a charming and solicitous woman. We really enjoyed her hospitality. The owner likewise is extremely friendly and helpful. She told us the history of the inn which was really fascinating. There are also photos of the original owners and photos of the original condition of the house.The main house has a few suites but most of the rooms are in an annex built in more modern times. It matches the house. There is a safe in the room and bathrobes are provided. Water pressure is excellent in the annex -- we stayed on the third floor. The inn has quite a roster of regulars -- especially for furniture market in the spring and fall. A great restaurant is Blue Water. We ate there both nights. Their crab bisque is world class and try the Summer Breeze -- a fantastic martini with various fruit-infused vodkas. If you are going furniture shopping, you should not miss "Furnitureland South" -- it has a MILLION square feet of furniture lines at discounted prices. The prices are discounted in a major way from retail environments. Better yet, go to town before market (Feb-Mar) in the spring and visit the EJ Victor and Theo Alexander showrooms and outlets. EJ Victor manufacturers very fine furniture and their uphostelry is made here in America. They manufacture the high end Ralph Lauren line. There is also a Hurtado showroom but it was not open when we were there. We had two houses to finish furnishing and bought a lot of nice furniture out of the EJ Victor outlet. Theo Alexander manufactures the Althorp (Princess Di's ancestral home) line among others. Their showroom had some amazing deals but you must arrange the shipping yourself. Lastly, there is an enormous (100,000 sq ft) furniture consignment place on Ward Avenue called High Point Art & Design Center. I could not believe the amount of furniture they had -- really unique stuff. They also have a store called Antiques and Interiors in downtown High Point. We didn't make it there -- only had two days.

Room Tip: Stay in a room to the back of the Inn. There is a busy street out front and it might be noisy. We di...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jeannie H
Watertown, South Dakota
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at the JH Adams Inn 1/24/12 - 1/26/12. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, and beautifully furnished. Each room is different and unique. They offer a complimentary continental breakfast in the morning and have a wonderful resteraunt and lounge area. The staff was very gracious as well. I would recommend this wonderful place to anyone that wants a quiet and comfortable stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank akklkoll
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Spent 2 nights here with my husband and loved it! The inn has a quaint independent feel, definitely void of the typical commercial feel of hotels. Each room has was "adopted" by local furniture companies, offering a unique touch to the rooms. We stayed in 14, or the 'red room' and loved the overall appearance and comfort of the room. The mattress was extremely comfortable, don't remember sleeping so well in a hotel before. The bathroom is huge with a tub large enough to fit two comfortably. Would definitely recommend to those looking for a reasonable priced stay away from the hotel chains in High Point, NC.

Room Tip: Loved Room # 14, also known as the red room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
#6 of 14 in High Point
Graylyn Estate
Graylyn Estate
#1 of 38 in Winston Salem

Been to J.H. Adams Inn? Share your experiences!