“Lacking in service and a sad hotel”

Wingate by Wyndham High Point
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in High Point
business traveller
“Lacking in service and a sad hotel”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed at the Ashford Suites Hotel for a week.
The front desk staff seemed disinterested in providing information and very low energy. No mention of where to eat locally or the hotel events (later saw a sign in lobby regarding events when waiting for someone). The hotel itself is on the verge of being vintage in design. It is also sort of dirty feeling with stains everywhere.
Two positives are the breakfast is nice and the shower heads are old school (not the rain version that saves water).
Annoyances included room cards constantly not working (I kept them away from things that would erase them), cups and plates for breakfast are all styrofoam (seems super un-green), and no real care that an obviously disturbed (for lack of a better term) transient was wondering the hallways. The staff's way of looking for him was to wait for him to appear again in the lobby (I was on top floor when I encountered him). The staff did not inquire if maybe I was freaked out by having come across and then riding elevator with transient.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank fabufoodie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was so excited about staying at Ashford Suites a co-worker spoke very highly of the hotel,I made reservation maybe four days in advance,for my anniversary it was a surprise to my husband.Well the afternoon came we checked in the place was packed with children from a soccer tournament and they were out of control!!! At first we said we could handle the kids because they would quite down after playing soccer all day.Not!!!We went to dinner at a restaurant that was walking distance (Steak Street)and returned to find out that the a/c and the refrigerator was not working in our room!!! Thye front desk offered us a bucket of ICE!!! To make a long story short we checked out and we were only there for two hours!!! I asked for a refund and was told I would have to wait until the Manager returned on Tuesday!!! So I don't know if I am going to get my money back!!!!I I will never stay at this place!!! I hope I get my cash back if not I will file a complaint with the BBB!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Lolo619to336
Southern Indiana
Reviewed March 13, 2013

When I called the front desk for a reservation, they quoted me a higher price, so I booked online through one of the discount websites and got a very good rate for the evening. As has been mentioned in other reviews, there were a few little things that could be updated, but overall, the room was clean, and the bed was comfortable. It was pretty much what I expected. There was nothing really special, but nothing terrible either, and I'd stay here again if I could get a room for about the same price.

The room was nice for the most part, and featured a corner fireplace (really an electric unit with lights and fake logs), with a flat-screen above it, as well as a mini-fridge and microwave, set up in a small sitting area separated from the bed by a half-wall. The breakfast buffet was better than some hotels offer, with the usual dried cereals and juices, plus waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon and tater tots.

There were two issues I had, which may be isolated to the particular room I had. One was an annoying, howling, squealing noise that I suspect was some kind of water pipe/pressure issue. When other visitors started running showers, etc. early in the morning, the noise was loud enough that it woke me up. I rolled over and tried to ignore it, but it just kept on going, so I ended up getting up an hour or so earlier than planned. The other was when I went to iron my clothes, the iron was there, but no ironing board in the closet.

Room Tip: Maybe the back side of the hotel, opposite the parking lot would be more quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WanderingPencil
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

My brother and I were staying at the Crestwood Suites which was an absolute horror, roach infested nightmare in High Point. Do not be fooled by the exterior of this dump! At 4am we called the Ashford Suites Hotel. The overnight employee was very friendly and helpful- he got us a room that was clean, comfortable, and even had a mini fridge, microwave, flat screen tv and fire place! And they have a decent breakfast (scrambled eggs, bacon, muffins, etc). It was such a dream to find this place! And it is a great value!!! Great employees and customer service. I highly recommend this hotel :-)

• Stayed February 2013
Kernersville, NC
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here twice, most recently this past weekend. The staff is always friendly and efficient. We come to Ashford for a "no-frills-inexpensive-get-out-of-the-house" overnight stay. It's good for us because it's so close to our home, we're about 15 minutes away. Our room was clean (however, in need of renovating/updating), we had a gas log fireplace, jacuzzi tub and king size bed. The hotel has an indoor pool which is not fancy but we did use and the water was gloriously warm and we had it all to ourselves. There is fitness equipment (of course we didnt use it!) We walked next door and had dinner at Steak Street which was nice to be able to walk to and it is a nice romantic setting restaurant with live music. The hotel front desk clerk even gave us a coupon for free appetizer, $17 value which was a great bonus (tip: if you go there, make reservations... we had to was 1.5 hours for our table). Also, breakfast is included! Eggs, waffles, pasteries, sausage, cereals, milk, juices coffee... etc. Not too bad. So, for a 15 minute drive and a modest $85 (total price including fees and taxes), we were able to spend some quality time together out of the house, enjoy a nice swim, a soak in a jaccuzi, fireplace, comfy bed for a good night sleep and a hot breakfast. What else could you ask for for that price? Hey, it's not luxury but it's a great value and needless to say, we will return for our next needed overnight escape!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Best_For_Last_71
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I booked at the Ashford Suites in Highpoint, then plans changed. I called to cancel and the gentlemen said I was all taken care of. Later, I received a call from the hotel saying that they only accept cancellations on line. "OK," I thought. Then I went on line. After trying to find a way to cancel, and clicking on the "Change or Cancel" tab, I called the hotel. The ladu immediately told me that she would not accept cancellations via phone and to go online. I made her walk me through the steps until she got as far as I did earlier. "Now," she says, you can't see it, but if you move your mouse across the top of the page the "cancel" tab will become visible." She added, "It is very hard to see, we know that." She thought it was quite funny. Not so.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank DB2012866
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed here in July 2010 and had a great experience. Wonderful room, no noise. We stayed again October 2012 and it was different. The front desk people were not as friendly, especially the night time lady-she never acknowledged us ever. The man who managed the breakfast area was very nice, however.. Our room was okay but across from some very noisy people who didn't get quiet until after 11pm.. My biggest complain is that the room had the dimmest light possible above the vanity- I couldn't see anything while I was putting on my makeup! Also, as you walk into the hotel it smelled like Clorox.
We plan to stay in May and hope the experience is better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Radisson Hotel High Point
#8 of 14 in High Point
Seven Oaks Inn Bed and Breakfast
Wingate by Wyndham Greensboro

Been to Wingate by Wyndham High Point? Share your experiences!