“5 Stars for if I would of found the Big One!”

Emerald Hollow Mine
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Hiddenite
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The one and only public emerald mine in the world, covering 69 acres.
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“5 Stars for if I would of found the Big One!”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Other than not finding a massive gemstone I can not complain about this place - not one bit - everyone there is exceptionally nice and informative. The lay out works and there is something for everyone. Dog friendly makes it a absolute 'Gem' of a place to experience. My favorite source is always the creek, just something about the shine in the water makes the find more of an instant satisfaction vs the dirt and exhaustion at the end of a dig. Time well spent with friends, some known, some met then, some to meet on future visits.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank sheilovealways

High Point, North Carolina
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Fun Day”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I took my 15 years old and two of his friends here on a Saturday and they had a blast.

As in some of the reviews, I did not find the people to be to bad. They were not overly friendly, but there was a man that walked around while we were slucing asking if we needed help identifying our gems. My favorite part was the creeking. I know they put the gems in the creek but it was still fun looking. Nice time outside with family and friends.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank THoughNC
Irving, Texas
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“One of the our best trips ever!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

If you have the time and energy, this is the place. You can enjoy it alone, with family or friends. I do recommend you go early, we got there as soon as it opened and an hour later there was no parking and the place was packed. There is something to do for the entire family, kids were having a great time and the parents even a greater time than there kids!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Agatag
Raleigh, North Carolina
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Kids had a great time, especially mining in the creek!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went this last weekend and while there were quite a few people, it didn't seem too crowded. My 9 year old, and 6 year olds had a blast (which I knew they would) mainly with the creek mining.
The creek is knee deep at deepest and was fun. The water was cold! but refreshing. Tons of fun. My son finally said he was done hunting for rocks and just wanted to play in the creek.
For the sluicing, they make it clear if you are buying a bucket that has been 'salted' (meaning they have put other gems in). The Local buckets are hit or miss on finding anything so we didn't do one of those as I wanted the kids to find stuff. (and my kids don't care what they find, as long as its pretty)
This mine also had a digging pit for serious folks, and people were finding things in there.
You definitely will get dirty here - we got the dirtiest at the sluicing! then went back to the creek to wash off legs/arms. Definitely worth doing and we all want to go again!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank TDug
Cooleemee, NC
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A great day with a 9 year old”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I took my 9 year old grandson to the mine yesterday. It is a perfect place for him. He is a digger and loves finding "treasures". Even though we know they salt the creek and buckets, it was still a wonderful experience. The creek area is beautiful and this grandmother was right out there in the creek. I did find a piece of emerald that will be made into a silver wrapped necklace. The sluicing was fun and we did get very dirty but it was worth every grain of dirt on us. This place is not for "sissies" but a wonderful place for family fun. I do suggest you do some work before you go to getting familiar with gems. This beats kids sitting around playing video games by a long shot!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Ann S

Been to Emerald Hollow Mine? Share your experiences!