“Not Good”

Emerald Hollow Mine
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Hiddenite
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The one and only public emerald mine in the world, covering 69 acres.
Mocksville, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not Good”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband thought he would take me for Mothers Day! Well here I am thinking we are going to dinner and we got there. I got red clay on my clothes and for what we paid we got diddlie in stones... also it was a mess on the benches... Would I go back No..

1 Thank AJS1017

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Super place super people”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The place is a gem all in it self. The dig area was fun to walk around and see all the places people had dug hole. Digging was a blast because if U find one big chunk of white quarts it makes it well worth it The creek is the most produtive as far as the amount of stones that u find and it is enriched but that's known b4 U go down to it the young blonde lady that helped us was very sweet and very knowledgeable and always had a warm fire for us to come back to and wam up. I would say that the two days we spent there were awesome days of fun. With just super people weather it be the or the other visitors just great people I would go back in a heart beat.

1 Thank Goose398
Winston Salem, North Carolina
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Fun Day Mining”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We went mining for stones and gems. We found a few semi-precious stones that we were able to have made into pendants and earrings. Make sure you allow enough time, it will be a long day. If you go in the summer like we did it will also be VERY hot. Take sunscreen and a hat.

1 Thank l3travel
Conover, North Carolina
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“A little disappointed”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I dont know what I expected, I did enjoy my time there. But I guess I
expected more involvement from staff or guide or something. I did enjoy being out and walking around. And there was school childeren there that apparently they had seeded the areas for and the kids were having fun.

1 Thank loretta8315
Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A Great Family Activity”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This summer 2012 was the second time we have been to Hiddenite Gem Mine in the past 4 years and both times it has been exceptionally fun. They do have the traditional buckets you can purchase and use in the sluice, but I HIGHLY recommend for the most fun to go gem mining in the creek. Both times we have mined in the creek and have found lots of gems- mostly crytals and quartz like amethyst, rose, and clear quartz. You can also find fossilized wood and other fun stuff. They are always happy to tell you what you have found when you take them back up to the office.
Even in the summer it is nice and cool at the creek because they are located in the foothills and the entire creek is shaded by trees.

Visited July 2012
4 Thank OhioJamerican

Been to Emerald Hollow Mine? Share your experiences!