“Super place super people”

Emerald Hollow Mine
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Hiddenite
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The one and only public emerald mine in the world, covering 69 acres.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The place is a gem all in it self. The dig area was fun to walk around and see all the places people had dug hole. Digging was a blast because if U find one big chunk of white quarts it makes it well worth it The creek is the most produtive as far as the amount of stones that u find and it is enriched but that's known b4 U go down to it the young blonde lady that helped us was very sweet and very knowledgeable and always had a warm fire for us to come back to and wam up. I would say that the two days we spent there were awesome days of fun. With just super people weather it be the or the other visitors just great people I would go back in a heart beat.

1  Thank Goose398

Reviewed December 25, 2012

We went mining for stones and gems. We found a few semi-precious stones that we were able to have made into pendants and earrings. Make sure you allow enough time, it will be a long day. If you go in the summer like we did it will also be VERY hot. Take sunscreen and a hat.

1  Thank l3travel
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I dont know what I expected, I did enjoy my time there. But I guess I
expected more involvement from staff or guide or something. I did enjoy being out and walking around. And there was school childeren there that apparently they had seeded the areas for and the kids were having fun.

1  Thank loretta8315
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This summer 2012 was the second time we have been to Hiddenite Gem Mine in the past 4 years and both times it has been exceptionally fun. They do have the traditional buckets you can purchase and use in the sluice, but I HIGHLY recommend for the most fun to go gem mining in the creek. Both times we have mined in the creek and have found lots of gems- mostly crytals and quartz like amethyst, rose, and clear quartz. You can also find fossilized wood and other fun stuff. They are always happy to tell you what you have found when you take them back up to the office.
Even in the summer it is nice and cool at the creek because they are located in the foothills and the entire creek is shaded by trees.

4  Thank OhioJamerican
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We went in April of this year (2012).
Let me start off by saying, it is very nice area. I knew from other reviews about the enriched buckets, I'm glad they do this, so I get my little money's worth. We did the sluicing thing for a while and they put a lot of "finds" in there.

Then it was a trip to the dig area. I found some nice small quartz but I am a novice rock hunter (from the muddy south Louisiana) but they did try their best to help me find something. I don't understand why people are labeling this as salted. My only complaint with this is the hike from the hill side with heavy buckets. It's a long hike, but the smartest person was seen with his child defeated this task with a small wagon. We spoke with him and he found some decent stuff

Everything is marked off to let you know where the boundries are. It's still a nice sized of area. There was a field trip of kids there and they appeared to have lots of fun. Watching them in their little area (it was seeded for them for a reason) was halarious. Like an Easter Egg hunt.

The last thing we did was the creek. They don't allow metal tools for good reasons. Bare foot + metal is not a good outcome. The lady there told us they salted the front area for the school kids, (who already left) and said we could go pick around that area. There were some older people already doing that, so we went further down. I dug under a rock to about shoulder deep and got two nice pieces of green rocks (not emeralds I think it was fluorite). The water was nice and cold.

If you want to find some decent things, google "how to dig for emeralds" or something. It can help you. Just don't expect to find it lying around.

All in all this was one of the better places we went. I am currently planning to take another trip to this place again and visit the mine more than once. FYI, don't stay at the Ramanda in Statesville.... Trust me.

5  Thank Kelly C