“NOT A SLEEP INN ANYMORE, MOTEL 6 NOW”
Review of Sleep Inn

Sleep Inn
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Hickory
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed here in February of 2012 for one night and one night only. Entire hotel smelled like cigarettes. Lights were burnt out in bedroom and bathroom. Cigarette burns on blankets and mattress. Do not stay here. Front desk was nice though.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank southernhospitality

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I booked the jacuzzi room which was located on the third floor - same floor as breakfast, which not not a problem for me. Check in was smooth sailing since I booked the room online. The room was quite small but comfortable. The bathroom was huge since it had the jacuzzi in it.The room had an odor to it - perhaps from the many guests who smoke. Nevertheless, about 2:00am, there were some guests next door who were very loud talking, and slamming doors and it kept me awake, but not long later, the noise stopped and upon checkout, I made the young lady at the front desk aware of my issues and she let me know that the manager "had taken care of" whatever was going on in the room next to mine. The location was tucked away, but I could still hear the young people racing their engines on 70. The staff was good and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnnualFamilyVacation
Sleep_Inn-Hickory, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Thank you for taking time to review the hotel. I do apologize for the noise from the other guests. I did respond to the noise immediately when it occured and tried to keep it as calm as possible. We look forward to you visiting us again the the future.

Steve W. Starnes, GM

Reviewed December 15, 2011

I had gotten a couple of rooms for myself and for my brother and his wife. From the outside it looks like your typical sleep inn design. When I walked into the lobby, the first that I noticed was that the couch looked dirty and dingy. The check in clerk, I believe his name was Dustin, was nice, but looked tired. I checked in I started walking down the hall. I started becoming more apprehensive about the hotel. The hallway was poorly lighted and narrow. The carpeting was old and worn. The hallway walls were dirty with sploches on them. When I got to my room, I found out that my double bed room was actually two very small rooms that they had removed the interconnecting doors from. This seemed a very strange arrangement. The carpeting in the room was also old and worn, with ciggarette burns in it, as was the furniture. I will say the room was clean. (It passed the sister-in-law test.) The bed was some what springey, but was comfortable. The next morning when I got up and took a shower, it turned to be a good shower. The water pressure was good with plenty of hot water. I thought it was odd to find the breakfast room on the third floor, but this was no big deal. I was told they had sausage biscuits , but when I when I got there at 9:00 they were not to be found. I asked who I assumed to the breakfast attendent if I could have a couple. She repeated what I said and walked away. I did not see her again. I found Dustin working again the next morning when I went to check out looking a little less tired and again friendly. My nights stay turned out better than I thought was going too, but from my past experience with the Sleep Inn chain, I was somewhat dissatisfied with the hotel. It was not up to the standards I become use to experiencing.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mmm154
Sleep_Inn-Hickory, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2011

Thank you taking time to review our hotel. We appreciate your honesty with your review. We are now under new management and are working to correct some of the issues you described.

We will be undergoing major renovations over the next several months and the issues with carpeting and furniture will be resolved at the point.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next vist to the Hickory area.

Steve Starnes, GM

Reviewed December 4, 2011

We booked this hotel based on price and location. It is a budget hotel with a good location far enough from the Interstate so it is quiet. My first impression was not good because the lobby smelled of cigar smoke. The check in was fine and the man at the desk was very helpful. The room was a little smaller than average. The was a small bathroom with the biggest shower I have ever seen. I did expect very little for breakfast but that was no the case. The breakfast room is on the third floor and that is a first for me. Also it was very well stocked which was a surprise.
I think that because of it's low price the hotel was full of contractors and crews working in the area.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sleep_Inn-Hickory, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2011

Mr. Jerry, Retired

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We always look forward to receiving feedback from our guests. It tells us what we are doing right and where we need to improve.

To specifically addressed some of the points in your review we have added a new air freshner to te lobby to counteract the smoke smell that comes from some of the guest rooms in first floor. I am very happy to hear our signature showers were a plus during your stay. The deluxe continental breakfast we offer is a hallmark for us. During 2012 we will be migrating to a full breakfast to further meet the desires of our guest.

Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to serving our again when you are in the Hickory, NC area.

Steve W. Starnes, GM

Reviewed November 22, 2011

The staff and management of the Sleep Inn hotel did their very best in making sure everyone who was involved with the Pageant had everything we needed as well as went out of their way to make sure we had the uptmost comfort and pleasant time while we were there. From checking in to the young man working the night shift, including the housekeeping staff were all extremely pleasant. Thank you!

Room Tip: The entire 3rd floor of the building was smoking which was a great ease for most of us who were ther...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Sleep_Inn-Hickory, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. The staff and I strive to make all of our guest feel comfortable and at home during their stays. Half of the third floor is now non-smoking to accomodate our guest who prefer non-smoking rooms. Unfortunately because of insurance requirements we are no longer able to unlock the windows on upper floors.

We look forward to your group's next visit with us and are very pleased to be your hotel of choice while in the Hickory, NC area.

Steve Starnes, General Manager

Reviewed October 15, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights with our Mini Aussie Shepard Jack, and it was like we were old friends coming for a visit. The GM Steve was courteous and genuinely concerned with our experience.

He told us that they were trying to make this a pet friendly destination and they are doing a great job. This motel is very conveniently located and is perfect for a budget minded traveler.

All the staff was friendly and I would recommend the Sleep Inn in Hickory to anyone.

Please note that this an older motel and everything is not shiny and new, but its clean and was quiet when we were there. There is a waffle maker in the breakfast room and there is a nice selection of food for anyone's taste. Big plus for strong water pressure in the shower.

You can tell that they are striving for improvement and that means a lot in my book.

If you have a dog, be sure to ask Steve about the carob dog treats , our guy loves them !

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jim S
Sleep_Inn-Hickory, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2011

Jim S.

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We value each and every guest that walks through our doors and thier opinions. Yes, we value the four legged furry guests as well.

The Team and I take all opinions, good, bad or indifferent and use that feedback to continuously improve the services, surroundings and overall stay provided to each guest.

I am very happy to hear that the treats provided were well received by your Aussie. He was such a delight for then entire staff as well as some of our guests.

The entire Team at Sleep Inn - Hickory, NC look forward to the both of you visiting with us again in the future.

Steve Starnes, GM

Reviewed October 12, 2011

we use this hotel often for my college's homecoming and the staff takes extra measures to ensure we enjoy our stay. the manager, steve, and his stay go out of their way to make sure we have everything we need. i would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank kenny j
Sleep_Inn-Hickory, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2011

Thanks for taking time to review our hotel. I was a pleasure to have you and your fellow alumni with us for the homecoming weekend. The hotel staff and management all strive to provide the highest level of hospitality for all our guests.

We look forward to next year when you and the guys arrive again to celebrate Homecoming.

Steve Starnes, GM.