“Loved it,”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hickory B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Loved it,”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Good value, friendly owner very comfortable delicious breakfast

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank JuliaJ446789

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Definitely my favorite place to stay in Hickory. I'm in hickory 4 times a year on business and Chaz alwaysmakes me feel at home.

• Stayed March 2011
7 Thank MadMorf
Palos Verdes Estates, California
Reviewed January 1, 2011

My husband and I had a quick romantic getaway ... while the grandparents kept the kids. We were there on a quiet weeknight. The innkeeper was lovely. The food was delicious. We loved their Southern Hospitality. The inn itself is just beautiful, cozy, and clean. I will send friends to stay here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AbbyLanes
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We decided to turn our business trip into a weekend retreat prior to the work week. A great decision! We couldn’t have been happier! Our room was quite comfortable, and the inn was beautiful. The innkeepers, Chaz and his wife, were such wonderful hosts. He was very helpful in recommending local restaurants, and the best places to furniture shop. Breakfast was fantastic! The fruit plate and pastries alone were enough to keep us satisfied. We enjoyed chatting with the other guests over breakfast. Even though breakfast seemed busy, Chaz made sure we were all taken care of, while being very charming. Having a chef cooking breakfast was a real treat! We had such a great time, we will make sure to return for another stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank travelerswife74
virginia
Reviewed April 2, 2010

My only experience with this Bed & Breakfast was in the attempt to make a reservation. Their website is great. Both times I called they answered the phone, didn't have to receive a call back (not a bad thing having to leave a message, just saying they were available) The innkeeper, Chaz, asked me the appropriate questions in taking the reservation: name, room I wanted, time of arrival, credit card information, etc. I had observed on the website that they offered various discounts which I mentioned early in my conversation. This seemed to really irritate Chaz. (read on...)
At the conclusion of gathering the reservation information that Chaz needed, I asked for a total on the cost of the one night stay...since there would be a discount appied. Once Chaz found a calculator, he seemed to have trouble with it working properly so I asked how would one figure the total...room rate minus discount then apply tax, or room rate plus tax then subtract the discount? He seemed to get very edgy and said, "I know how to do it, I just can't ....<unintelligible>"
I said, "thats okay, I can...." Chaz interupted and said, "No, No, you asked for the amount, thats what I'm going to give you."
I was very taken back but waited. He did give me the total and tagged it with "...is that okay? or would you rather find another place to stay?"
At this, I am truly wondering who might be on the other end of the line...is this really the innkeeper of this establishment? I said, "no, that fine. I am on your website right now and I can see the prices so I know what the approximate amount was going to be." Chaz: "Are you sure?" "Do you have any other questions?"
I did want to know if they had other guests booked, if so, how many. Chaz explained since it was Easter weekend they had no other guests...."is that okay? or do you think you might want to go somewhere else?"
By now, I'm no longer impressed with this establishment at all because of this conversation. I ask Chaz why he would suggest I stay somewhere else. He tells me that I am being abrasive, and he feels interrogated with the questions (he had asked me twice if I had any questions for him), that I had mentioned the discount 3x but he could understand that since he is a businessman (oh...really?) and since he would want my stay to be the very best I could experience, he just didn't know if he could provide that for me.
I was completely astounded at this coming from this "businessman's" point of view, especially someone in the hospitality field. I then agreed with Chaz and said "I think you're right, you should go ahead and cancel this reservation."
Amazing!....BTW, I did call 3 other B&B in the immediate area...one was full and the other two had only 1-2 rooms available each...so seems Easter weekend is going to be a fairly normal and profitable one for other B&B's of the area. Will be writing a review on where I did find a room...right down the road.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank marinewife5
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed February 6, 2010

While planning our trip to Hickory to see some friends we decided to make it a more romantic getaway and choose to go with a bed and breakfast, and what a wonderful choice we made in The Inn at Hickory.

Chaz was a wonderful host to the inn, and saw to all of our needs. Since it snowed on the night of our arrival, our Saturday activities were pretty well shot. The inn was quite and Chaz had no problem with a couple of our friends visiting and playing some games and watching a movie. He even set out extra coffee cups for everyone.

The inn itself was very nicely decorated, and the room was excellent. The only thing I would have liked was a small desk or secretary to sit my laptop at. The common areas were wonderful, comfortable and inviting.

We plan to return someday, maybe when snow has not shut the town down.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Cyclonic07
Seattle
Reviewed October 19, 2009

House was well furnished and conveniently located. Rooms are very clean and well furnished. Excellent support from hosts and breakfast.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple