“Best of Southern Cooking!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Roasted 'Tater
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Down Home Southern Cooking At It's Best ! We are a locally owned restaurant that specializes in seasonal food and menus that change daily! Please check out our Facebook and website for the updated daily menus! Hope to see you at the 'Tater soon!
Newton, North Carolina
“Best of Southern Cooking!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

I've eaten at pleny of places that have claimed to be real southern fare, including Paual Deen's place. But I will say I have found the best here in my hometown of Hickory! I've never been disappointed with the food or the service. The menu is limited but that is purposeful as they like to do a few things and do them well. And the price can't be beat for the quality and amount of food you get. All their items are made daily. Everything is locally grown and organic. They even give you the option of pickin something else. I found out that if you are unsure about an item, tell them and they will let you taste it. In addition, they tell you when you order that if you are not completely satisifed they will bring you something else. Who else does that? I can't recommend this place enough and have proud to have such a special place in our town.

• Visited December 2013

Hickory, North Carolina
“Saturday night special?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stopped in at the Roasted Tater and had the most expensive thing on the menu. I paid $21.95 for a surf and turf of fillet mignon and shrimp. The potato served with it looked like it weighed 2 lbs. In the end...that's all I ate. My taste buds are not suited for fillet mignon marinated in SUPER SWEET brandy, or shrimp that were garlic overpowered. Although the potato was certainly filling, I felt $21.95 was a bit much for a meal I could not eat. The server saw I'd not eaten my meal and did offer "something else from the menu" or a "free dessert." Not good enough for sorry inedible food and I had eaten the potato so I was no longer hungry. So...Roasted Tater...I ate your roasted tater and it was good. But I'll NEVER be back simply for the way you handled my situation.

• Visited November 2013
Conover, NC
“Tried it... and eh?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have passed by this restaurant on many occasions but last night I decided to try it out. The place is filled with antique washboards, buckets, fridge and posters. It has a style all of its own. The menu is very limited and the Wednesday the menu was Salmon Croquette, chicken and dumplings, a few salads and one black Angus burger. We ordered fairly quick and the waitress brought out a basket with two biscuits, butter and apple jam. The biscuit was really good and the apple jam/butter was delicious. I thought this was going to be a good place to dine... then the waitress brought the Angus burger on a sweet potato roll. The burger had a weird texture to it... I don't know if they soak it or what but I could not eat it. The burger came with a jam (bacon and grilled onions) which my friend stated was good as a stand-alone but not on the burger.

In all fairness, the waitress did offer to get me something else and that's why I did not grade them lower. They do charge .25 cents for ice water that they gave in a Styrofoam cup (strange). I can't say I will go back but other people seem to enjoy the experience and the prices are really reasonable. Check the website or follow on Facebook to find out what the daily special is as the menu changes daily.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Ladyjb3
Hickory
“Few restaurants like this one”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

I am gluten intolerant. This restaurant has a limited menu but they always have gluten free items on the menu. They even have gravy in some of the dishes that is made with a gluten free cornstarch. My husband and I have went twice in a week to this restaurant and enjoyed it each time. They have a different menu everyday and they put their menu on facebook every day. You go in and order and have your meal in 5 minutes. The service and the food are great. The meals are homemade.

• Visited November 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Disappointing lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Have passed by this place a few times, and decided to have lunch the. The menu is simple, and consists of 5 or so choices, and it is posted outside the restaurant. I am guessing that it changes from time to time. We were seated quickly, and drinks came right away (there is a $.25 charge for ice water!!!!!)
Ordered beef pot pie, which came almost instantly. Sides are included, and I chose coleslaw and fried sweet potatoes. The portion of pot pie was very small for the price, and the sweet potato was SWEET! Perhaps too sweet. The meal was not hot, just slightly warm, and the service was ok.
Overall, not the best choice, as there are so many other places near by to select from. Will not return.

• Visited June 2013