“Bowling with Salsa”

El Paso
Ranked #16 of 275 Restaurants in Hickory
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Naples, Florida
“Bowling with Salsa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Four of us went there for supper
You can go up front to a buffet and fill a small bowl, or several small bowls with one of several different kinds of salsa. We did this several times, and enjoyed the different tastes.
The four of us each chose a different meal and we all had very good food
I had Tacos de Chorizo, served with rice, beans, grilled with chopped onions and cilantro. VERY good. I ate way too much, almost one-half of the serving. Took the other half home for seconds the next day, and I even had thirds the day following that! Still good.

• Visited December 2013

nc
“Pet Friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Not knowing anything about Hickory, we stumbled upon El Paso for a quick Sunday lunch. Since they had outdoor seating, they said okey-doley to our well mannered pooch. Luckily Fido was in a accommodating mood and laid down quietly the whole time beneath our table.
The next table was a large group with many small children. Staff worked well and the table next to us wasn't a distraction and not even annoying....good job staff.

Our food was fresh and quite tasty. Our waiter kept the chips and bean dip a-coming. And refilled our drinks without a prompting.

Over-all, consider this a diamond in the rough. Tasty food and great service.

* on a sunny day, try to get the table in the gazebo.

• Visited March 2014
Hickory, North Carolina
“Excellent authentic Mexican cusine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

After reading trip advisor reviews wanted to try it. I was not disappointed. extensive menu. The Gucamole Regional was excellent everything we ordered was outstanding. Huge portions had to take half home. We will be back.

• Visited February 2014
“El Paso in Viewmont”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was craving Mexican food so we decided to give this location a try in Viewmont, the food was good but not exceptional. I wish the bar wasn't in the front where you walk in, the music was too loud so if you are looking for a quiet place to eat and converse with your party don't go here. I had their chicken fajita ordered extra guacamole which I shouldn't there was plenty that came with it. It was not overly seasoned, the chicken was almost bland but cooked as perfect as you can get for fajitas. Bill had a Raul's burrito he cleaned his plate so his was very good. I did like that they had a salsa bar with 15 different salsas, great idea. Like I said the food is very good not the best but no where near bad. It did satisfy my craving!!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Marysschrum
Hickory, North Carolina
“The quality is in the details”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

I love mexican food, and around these parts it's basically all the same. What I love about El Paso is the little things they do to make their food over the top delicious. Let's start with the salsa bar. I have tried most of the salsas and they are all very good, but let's focus on the pico. El Paso is the only place I've ever been that puts fresh shreds of cabbage in the pico. It's hard to describe, but the cabbage adds a crunch that makes this stuff irresistible. As designated salsa dipper, I always bring my wife two cups of the stuff and then have to go back to get her more. It should be said that the menu is huge. I've only tried a small portion of what it available, but it's all quality. My "go-to" item is the tamal. And here's the thing: I don't really even like tamales. But at El Paso, the tamal comes completely covered with steaming chunks of slow-roasted pork in a rich mole' type gravy. That pork is what takes this item over the top. We've lived here for 11 years and I'd name El Paso as one of the best restaurants in the area. It's especially nice on Mondays when our kids eat free. If I had to name a negative about this place it would be that the service is sometimes slow (though always courteous) and I'd like to see $1 domestic draft specials. Mexican food needs beer!

• Visited January 2014