“Best dining in Unifour” 5 of 5 bubbles

Umi Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 264 Restaurants in Hickory
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Best dining in Unifour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Outstanding food and fabulous service. This Asian restaurant offers outstanding sushi and authentic Japanese dishes. It's quiet, soothing music, and has a nice but affordable wine list. Wonderful place for a quiet meal with family or a romantic dinner. If you want outstanding this is it.

1 Thank K L

Granite Falls, North Carolina
“"Incredible-Every bite melts in your mouth"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

How unique and what a find. I felt just like I was a guest in their home. What a cozy place and incredible food. Very intimate seating, soft music and elegant decor. We were kindly greeted by the owner and she had our table waiting for us upon arrival. It was fast and friendly service and the food was to die for. Every item, from the native Japanese flowers on the plate, to the delicate home town baskets our food was served in, all had "history" behind them that we enjoyed hearing about. We will back again and again and again. It doesn't look like much from the store front, but you will have an incredible dining experience once inside!! A+++++++ food, service and experience.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Paulette S
Hickory, North Carolina
“If you've been on the fence, give Umi a try.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised with our first visit to Umi!

This is a very small, yet very cozy restaurant. It had around 5 to 6 tables total, and the decor all around is nicely done in traditional Japanese.

The service is intimate, fast, and friendly.

We did not try any sushi, as my wife and I are not fans of it, but the sushi menu is quite extensive.

I will start off by saying this is all wonderfully authentic Japanese cuisine.

We started off with a tempura appetizer, which came as fried, battered shrimp, leafy greens, lotus, and green beans. It was excellent, as was the accompanying sauce.

Salads came with our meals, and while they appeared quite unassuming (they consisted of a bowl of spinach and multiple types of lettuce), the first bite was unexpectedly tasty. The dressing, which was something I am not familiar with, was excellent.

Our meals...
- My wife and I both ordered Yaki-Niku, which was grilled beef with miso and rice. The soup was awesome, with melt-in-your-mouth tofu, but the grilled beef itself was even better. My only issue is I wished there was more, because it was so good.
- My 5 year old daughter ordered the Kara-Age (Japanese style fried chicken) and loved it. My wife and I had a difficult time not sneaking bites off her plate, because it really was delicious.

To top it off, we had green tea ice cream for dessert, which was the perfect way to end the dinner.

Great restaurant to seek out if you're ever in Hickory and looking for something different from the typical chain dining experience.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank GEHky913
Miami Florida
“Great Sushi !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Great Sushi, loved the decor! My family was visiting Hickory from Miami and found this restaurant on TripAdvisor, so glad we did. We ate here twice in the week we visited. The sushi was very fresh, the citrus dressing on the salad was delicious and the hot green tea was the best. I would highly recommend Umi.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank TerryMiamiFlorida
Hickory, North Carolina
“Best sushi and tempura I have ever had!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Awesome food! Best sushi I have ever eaten. Their tempura is simply to die for!! The owners are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. They have a goat cheese sushi that is one of the best things I have ever eaten and I don't even like goat cheese normally. Definitely a must eat restaurant in Hickory.

1 Thank wallyk000