“Nice But No Prize”
Review of Courtyard Hickory

Courtyard Hickory
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Hickory
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is a very attractive property in a great location. The lobby and tiny restaurant are neat and welcoming. So is the staff. But the room... well, it was small and dark, except for the clock radio that had to brightness settings: bright and brighter (I had to cover it with a pillow to sleep). The towels were thin as dish towels, and also small. The soap had a very strong and unpleasant odor. And then there was the fridge/microwave unit that made noise all night. The only other place I had seen such cheap appliances was in a Red Roof Inn. All in all, this was a disappointing stay, great on the outside, but below average on the inside. I'm afraid Marriott is slipping... at least in Hickory. I'll stay at the Hampton down the hill next time.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank PGinNC

Reviewed April 4, 2011

Left vehicle lights on overnight and the hotel staff were very helpful in helping get car started...The rooms were standard and the bed was a little hard. The shower had a few signs of mold in the grout. The room was of sufficient size and served its purpose...They do not provide a free breakfast . The cafe area is almost like a Starbucks that provides a good choice of breakfast items. Located conveniently next to the hwy. Restaurants require a vehicle to get to them. Overall a good place to stay

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2010

We went there while furniture shopping - they had a package deal that was as good as AAA rate that included a water, breakfast voucher for each morning for two and some treats. Very friendly staff over the 3 days we were there - gave us great ideas on restaurants, etc. Never could get the wi-fi to work for me. Appeared to be very recently remodeled - I'd say check it out if you're going to be in the area - go to the Mellow Mushroom for good pizza - just up the road!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VLR
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Courtyard by Marriott is a great chain. Every one is identical, clean, reasonable value, well-designed, great for business. This Courtyard is undergoing a lobby renovation, and I'm sure it will look nice when it's done. So overall, your standard, good Courtyard.

However, at this Courtyard, the "free" internet is a 30kB/second connection. Seriously, that is literally the same as what I had in 1995. If you want a normal (not slow connection), you have to pay $10.

Therefore, in all you might as well stay 10 feet away -- at the Fairfield Inn (also run by Marriott). Cheaper, free breakfast. And similar, 9 foot long pool.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed here in July, 2009. We were very pleased with this hotel. Rooms are nice, indoor pool was enjoyed by my daughter and hotel is in a nice area. We would stay here again if we are in the area again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Free internet, good breakfast, snacks, cold beer, nicely designed rooms, quiet. Great hotel for $130 a night.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I checked into the Courtyard in Hickory on July 25th, 2009. The hotel was, according to a worker out front, nearly empty "maybe 20 pecent full tonight". There were a dozen cars in the parking lot at best and it was 6 pm.

The lobby was deserted and there was no one at the front desk. Aftr waiting 3-4 minutes, I finally started calling to the back room and a young lady appeared - dour and apparenty bothered that a guest had shown up.

I explained to her that I had pulled a muscle in my back earlier in the day and asked if I might, as a Silver Preferred member of Marriott Rewards, upgrade my regular room to a whirlpool room. Or, failing that, if I might pay a bit extra to do so.

She said she could do that if I paid another $115 a night (I was paying $78. so it would more than double my rate). I declined. Then she said "We have a pool and a whirlpool and you are welcome to use it". Gee, thanks.

I should point out that she never once welcomed me, smiled or showed any sign of being human.

Over the past year, I have switched many of my hotel nights over to Hilton properties and this was my first night back at a Marriott after a long run at Hiltons. This night, I ended up missing a Hilton.

Pros of this property: Quiet and nice rooms. Great housekeeping staff who greet you and engage in conversation.

But over all, a sterile stay in an empty hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple