“Great Experience”

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
There are newer reviews for Best Western Hickory

Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel several times. It is a great place to stay and very affordable. It is conveniently located right near the Hickory Mart convention center.

A better hot tea selection would be nice.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 9, 2012

It's great to stop overnight at an unfamiliar hotel and walk into a very clean room with nice furnishings and a polite staff. The building was well maintained and we had no problems with noise, even though we were close to a busy highway. We are members of Best Western Rewards, so the staff gave us free bottled water and snacks as well as a free newspaper on arrival and another free newspaper the following morning. The continental breakfast was more than adequate. We were pleased with our stay at this hotel and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Excellent staff, very clean rooms, super price, particularly if you go through Priceline.com. My dad had just been released from the hospital and we needed a place to stay for two nights before he could return to his home where construction work was going on to clean mold spores from the air. The staff at the Best Western clearly understood the needs of an 88-year old man with vision problems. They put us in an adjoining room on the first floor. The hotel has exterior doors so we were able to park at the door and he could easily walk in. We were very grateful that the hotel would allow locals to stay there. This was someone of an emergency situation and the staff rolled out the red carpet for us.

Room Tip: Realize that Priceline.com may put you in a smoking room. Be sure to call the hotel and ask for non...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This Hotel could easily go from a 2 to 4 star rating, if they installed an elevator to get to the 2nd Floor. I did not see and I don't believe it is disclosed on the Hotel's description travelers have no choice but to take the stairs located on the north and south sides of the building..This sux, pure and simple. We arrived at the Hotel at approx. 9:15 PM from a 10 1/2 journey from FL. Our check-in went well and the Desk Mgr. handed us our key for the second floor and told us to, "Have a good night." Oh, I forgot, we had unloaded virtually all of our baggage onto a luggage cart for our stay. Seeing no elevator in the lobby, I schlepped the luggage cart down to the end of the first floor in our quest to find an elevator to get to our room... At the end of the first floor we two choices: Exit to the pool or take the north stairwell to the 2nd floor. 'Figuring I had "missed the boat," due to being tired, I schlepped the loaded luggage cart back to the front lobby area seeking to find the elusive elevator so we could get to our room. NO ELEVATOR TO BE FOUND. Finally, I stopped in front of the Check-In Desk and said, "O.K. where the Hell did you hide the elevator? I've been up and down the corridor schlepping this cart, I'm tired and getting peeved by the moment." The Desk Mgr. calmly looked up whiel checking in more guests and said, "Sir, we have no elevator, you have to take the stairwells to your room." I said something to the effect of "You've got to be [--] me, right/? His calm response was, "No sir, we don't have an elevator, sorry." I schlepped all of our luggage UP THE STAIRS and two thirds the way down the 2nd Floor to our room, by then, I couldn't see straight I was so angered. 'Had I know in advance the Hotel did not have an elevator I would not have stayed there. As with all the other write-ups, the Hotel's renovation went well and the breakfast was impressive. So unless you are a really light (luggage) traveler make absolutely certain your room is on the 1st Floor. In our 41 yrs. of marriage and travel, we both can agree we've NEVER encountered a situation like this ever. Be forewarned as I would have greatly appreciated someone else identifying the Hotel had no elevator for the 2nd Floor.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PlantCityBubba
Reviewed October 31, 2012

It appears the rooms have been recently renovated and the furnishings are pretty good. But it appears that in the exterior rooms, they tried to cut some corners. The stay was still fine. The room was mostly clean and well. The staff was nice and I am a strong believer in free breakfast and free wireless internet. A stay in the hotel portion is probably a little better. The exterior doors were a little loud and you could hear people outside due to thinner walls/lack of adequate insulation.

That's the biggest thing to know: There are two portions to the hotel. A motel section and a hotel section.

Room Tip: Make sure you call and insure your room is a hotel room and not one of the motel rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2012

When I booked this hotel It said it has a pool when I got to Hickory they said the pool is closed because it is cold . The average temperature for that week was 75 to 80 degrees
I book A none-smoking Rooms . every night when I came back from my workshop the room smelled smoking when I complained about it they said the room under you is smoking. ARE THEY FOR REAL ??
BUGs every night I find a bug in the room ..what the [--]
The Worst part is the breakfast: frozen omelet that you need to Microwave to eat ...Paper Plates and Plastic cutlery.. that was first time in my life I get served in paper plates in a hotel
Finally reception Rude , lazy and not responsive