“harde to find”

Reviewed August 19, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed here when it was a Quality Suites. I am Corporate Lodging and was treated extremely rude by a man at the hotel in which I had to file a major complaint with Choicehotels about. However since it is now Days Inn and this excuse for a man is gone I can now give a good review of this property. I don't usually like Quality Inns or Days Inns but unless Days Inn changed it they could only have made it better (especially getting rid of this obnoxious, rude person). The rooms were spacious, clean and well appointed. Comfortable bed, good A/C. If they still take CLC I will gladly stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This stay was the worst experience ever! Trust me, don't choose this hotel if you want to stay in Hickory area. I booked a room for two nights from Choice Hotel. When I booked it, it was Quality Inn. Then when we drove to the hotel the building said Days Inn. The person in the front desk asked us to cancel our booking from CH and he was going to charge me again. I had to spend 30min on the phone and explained the whole thing to CH. It's funny that CH didn't know anything. Anyway she promised to give me a refund. But after a month I still didn't receive the refund so I called CH and they said that was a NO SHOW! CH asked me to contact Days Inn. It is so hard to get their general manager at Days Inn to speak with you. After calling DI for 3 days she finally got back to me and said "You should contact choice hotel. You stayed at Days Inn, and you should pay for your stay." How funny, I was charged twice OK? Their customer service was terrible. She gave me a refund at the end but the whole experience of calling and speaking with her and Choice Hotel is horrible. Not to mention that they only had rooms available on the first floor, the carpet was stained, and there were bugs in the room. You can feel that they don't care about customers at all.

Room Tip: Just don't choose any room from this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Our stay was kind of a mess. I received an email 1 week before from Choice Hotels that this property would no longer be a Quality Inn and I had to call the hotel to confirm my reservation. I called the (now) Days Inn, and the woman on the phone said no problem, and confirmed my reservation for 1 room w/ 2 double beds and 2 suites w/ 2 double beds.

Fast forward to the arrival. Showed up at 2;30 PM, and none of the 3 rooms were ready. OK, we'll go get lunch. Come back at 3:45, now 45 min after check-in time, and the front desk says that they think only 1 room is ready, but they send someone to check all 3. Ten minutes later, the woman comes back and says all 3 are ready. Great. Take the keys and go to room 1- door is propped open, room not yet clean. Walk down the hall to room 2- door again propped open, but room appears to be clean. As I am standing in the room, a woman comes in and asks "can you please look around and tell me if this room is clean enough for you?" I was sort of stunned, and resisted the temptation to ask if she had, indeed, cleaned it. Turns out they were short on housekeeping staff and some of the normal front desk people were cleaning. Sort of not my problem, but whatever.

By about 4:30, we were all into the rooms. Turns out they gave us 2 regular rooms and 1 suite, not 2 suites as we requested. Oh well, yet another mistake. The rooms themselves were a step below decent. The beds were ok, the bathrooms were fairly disgusting, peeling wallpaper, bad showers, and rusted door frames abounded.

I'm also not sure if the hallway air conditioning was working, as it was easily 80 degrees in the hallways.

Bottom line- do not stay, at least not until you see many positive reviews indicating the bad transition is over, and probably not until you see a renovation.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2013

First I would like to get this out of the way. Some people seemed shocked this is now a Days Inn. Well, since the sign says "Days Inn" and it is listed as a "Days Inn" the only reason you should be shocked is if you a problem reading. Now for the stay. My wife and I stayed here for a night while we were moving her father. The location was a plus for us, just off highway 321 but not so close that we had to listen to traffic all night. When we checked in the lady quoted a price that was higher than the price listed online with an AAA discount. She did not question the listing and said "We can do that for you." The lobby was nice and inviting. Our room also nice and comfortable. I went around the room barefooted and never felt that icky feeling you sometimes get in a hotel. We then went to the pool for a short swim because we were so tired. The pool is small but nice, clean, and enjoyable. The beds were comfortable although we did have to double up on pillows because we both prefer very thick and firm ones at home. The next morning we went to breakfast in the hotel. Breakfast is served on a second floor landing that looks over the lobby. It is very spacious as opposed to some breakfast areas that are tucked into a corner somewhere. The food consisted of eggs, sausage links, biscuits, gravy, cereal, pastries, apples, waffles, juice, and coffee. Everything tasted delicious and we both left satisfied. As we left my wife said this could be our go to place if we ever needed to stay over another night. Something else that was a pleasant surprise was that I needed a place to leave my car for the day since parking is limited at my father in law's new apartment. I asked the lady at the desk and she was more than happy to accommodate me. She wrote down my car information and that I would be there at the end of the day to pick it up. We arrived that evening and it was still safe in the parking lot. A very nice gesture that helped us out more than they knew.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel over 30 nights the past 2 years when it was a Quality Inn. Rooms are OK, but not great. It is better than some Quality Inns. The only reason i stayed here so often was to get Choice Rewards points. The Quality Inn Convention Center in Hickory is much nicer for usually a few dollars less per night. Seemed liked every time I stayed here, there was lots of noise from rooms above. Service was always lacking when I checked out as the staff was always outside on a smoke break...not very professional. Maybe this will change with new ownership. Since it is no longer part of Choice Hotels, I will not be staying here on future business trips.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business