“A newcomer that's on its way”
Review of Beautiful Moon Cafe - CLOSED

Beautiful Moon Cafe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I never did make it out to their old location...it was a bit inconvenient and with three children, my days of aimless wandering in the country are somewhat limited. I was beyond thrilled to see them move into the old Carriage House on Dobbs St. in downtown Hertford.

I went with my three children, ages 6, 8 and 10. The two youngest ordered the 5 dollar kids sandwich plates. They chose ham and instead of the usual cheap white bread one gets at most local places, their bread was a delicious, crusty, panini style bread. The ham was high quality, shaved and just salty enough. They ate the Utz chips that accompanied their sandwiches with gusto.

My eldest child went for the "Build Your Own" sandwich, opting for a hot roast beef on the same bread. This meat was also high-quality and fresh. He was VERY impressed with his meal.

I ordered the Cuban sandwich, which until recently, I could only have at home, or perhaps in Miami, FL since no one else does one locally that I am aware of. It was SUPERB. The sliced pork tenderloin, the juicy ham, the mustard, buttered bread and chopped dill pickles. PERFECTION.

The children all had sweet tea like proper Southerners while their half-yankee mom opted for hot tea instead.

For dessert, we all shared a slice of lavender-orange olive oil cake. It was ethereal and would be a perfect addition to a cup of tea if one just wants dessert. The only complaint here would be 7 dollars for a slice of cake...seems a bit high for the area but it didn't take away from the experience of eating it. ;-) I recommend it. (If the idea of lavender as a food ingredient startles you, it shouldn't. If done properly it only enhances your experience.)

All in all, I am pleased and I feel very comfortable recommending this restaurant. The owners seem to appreciate both fine food and the area which can be a difficult thing to merge.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I went to Beautiful Moon for dinner with a large group, so we went with the expectation that the service would be a little slower. Things moved along reasonably well through drink orders. However, when the wine arrived, the glasses had about an inch of wine in them -- a very small pour. When one person in our group commented on the size, the server brought her more wine -- but she was the only one of about 10 who received additional wine. Since there was only 1 server for our group of 14, it took awhile for everyone to get their food. Dinner came, and it was quite good. I had salmon that was cooked perfectly, not a bit dry. The real problem came when the server came to clear our plates after dinner and started scraping the food off at the table! So much for the nice, upscale atmosphere they're trying to achieve. I will probably go back at some point, but I'll probably give them a little more time to train the wait staff.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Great Steak dinner for Husband. Asked how many shrimp came with the Shrimp Scampi, was told between 10 and 12 , there were 6. But the Scampi was very good. Asked for more bread to finish a great Artichoke Dip, was told "Peolpe usually wait for the bread that comes with dinner to finish their dip" I looked at my husband and said "I guess that means NO" And she did not bring extra bread. Upon leaving there were no salutation from the staff at all. But the food was very good and timely but I don't know if I'll be visiting again. Customer Service is everything.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

You have to be looking for this place or you would not find it on your own as it is outside of town and off Highway 17 a little ways. But if you are more than just passing through the area this is a very good place to stop and get a meal.

I am by no means a food connoisseur but everything on the menu was complicated and likely requires an actual chef to prepare. We had the Shrimp Casino and Beef Bourguignon and everything was delicious. There is something for everybody on their menu and everything was very reasonably priced, if you were in the city you would easily pay 2-3 times as much for the same high quality of food. Of restaurants in the Edenton, Hertford, Elizabeth City area, this is easily one of the nicest ones around.

The restaurant is part of a complex of buildings, that includes a series of "bed and breakfast" cabins and a wood working workshop. The Beautiful Moon is in an century old 4-square farmhouse and the dining areas are spread out among a series of rooms with all the furniture made in the Hobbs Furniture wood working shop.

It is a little hard to find, especially after dark, so you want to get directions from a local or call them before you go over. (252) 426-2500. www.beautiful-moon-cafe.com

Reviewed December 24, 2013

We have been to this restaurant many times over the past nine years, through changes of chefs. This chef is a winner! We prefer limited menus, since as this restaurant offers, so that the chef can concentrate on perfecting a smaller selection of dishes. Four of ate in a private dining room on the first floor, furnished with Ben Hobbs' beautifully crafted furniture. Service was excellent, if a bit slow (only one waitperson). Three of us had craft beers, which they enjoyed. All had small dinner salads with either blue cheese dressing (good, but no chunks of cheese) or balsamic vinaigrette (very good). Entree choices inclued beef bourguignon (sauce a tad too watery), shrimp scampi over homemade (yum!) linguini, wonderful baby back ribs, and shrimp in a creamy sauce. Collards were excellent; the potatoes needed more seasoning. Unfortunately, no room for dessert, but the peppermint cheesecake and homemade cream puffs looked tempting! Additionally, prices were reasonable. All in all, a very nice meal, and we will definitely return!