“Whatever happened to Hampton Inns?”

Hampton Inn Hendersonville
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hendersonville
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Whatever happened to Hampton Inns?”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

8/19/2013
I usually stay at Hilton-affiliate properties (HHonors account) but I had not stayed at a Hampton recently... and not a newer one that has been "cheapened down" to rival HI Express. The room is smaller that earlier Hamptons. The bathroom lacks an exhaust fan. The coffeemaker uses those scary disposable plastic trays for the dollar store coffee maker. The tub/shower surround is simulated plastic tile & creaks in use.

The TV was a LodgeNet driven device... to watch TV it said press # or info buttons on the remote: there was no # button & info merely illuminated all buttons RED! After a call to the desk I learned to "push the + channel select until it responds" then it should work to enter channel numbers. Well, sort of... in the next 30 minutes I discovered about 8 channels that it would let me select (next morning, only one). The selections were poor & vanilla offerings... most exciting was the Giants losing to the Colts. Ho-Hum. Perhaps the remote needed batteries changed... or maybe... the whole thing is designed to drive all choices to PPV movies of games! Ya think? I do.

Then came breakfast! Hampton Inn... weren't these the guys FAMOUS WAY BACK for FREE BREAKFAST? Well, rest assured SO FAR Hampton Inn has not screwed up coffee, milk, hot chocolate, PB, jelly, cream cheese, cereal, or fruit! One amazing thing was ONE waffle maker that actually produced good waffles... IN 4 minutes with a waiting line of 5 people (as a mom made waffles for dad & 3 kids).

Eggs & sausage/bacon you say? WHERE? Oh... in the white bags of frozen mystery breakfast next to the two microwaves. French toast, sausage biscuits, something I could not identify, and something resembling a quesadilla (salsa single serves nearby gave it away). This accounts for the pictures on the bags which also matched FOUR of the SIX PICTURES across the top of the microwave. Left top next to the pictures was a button labeled "ONE 2X"??? Boldly going ahead, I selected French toast and 2 sausage biscuits. PUSHED a BUTTON... any one pushed seemed to make the microwave operate of ONE MINUTE 5 SECONDS... and hoped for the best 3 times. I got passable French toast, two terrible sausage biscuits (biscuits got tossed due to soggy nature). I ultimately has 2 slices of French toast and 2 sausage patties, decent coffee, and a bowl of special K.

No eggs, toast, and bacon. No eggs, toast, and sausage. No eggs, biscuits and sausage gravy! OH for the "good old days" now fallen by the wayside! I should also say that the "pastries" on display were all of the "plastic faux pastry" kind found in those 8x10 foil trays in the stores not too ashamed to display them.

Should I have paid more elsewhere for a real place serving a real breakfast? Should I have paid less... no that invites serious regrets. AH... best idea is to pay a reasonable price for a FULL-SIZED room and go to Cracker Barrel next time.

Neither the front desk clerk nor the manager seemed concerned with my unhappy experience... I mentioned TV and less than expected breakfast. SO MUCH for the "satisfaction guaranteed 100%!" NO WAY you are staying FOR FREE, sucker!

I will give them that the Hamptom Inn seems CLEAN... in fact the stick-on inside the elevators BOASTS that the bed linen is clean... each day for each guest. Heck, I thought that for $100+ that was a given anywhere!

I will NOT be staying here again... which did not bother the Monday morning staff.

1 Thank grantg2
Bruce_Pope, General Manager at Hampton Inn Hendersonville, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear grantg2,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us via your online review. I am very sorry that you were dissatisfied with your recent stay at our hotel. We would love to speak with your about your experience. Please call me at the hotel - (828) 697-2333 - or email me directly at Bruce.Pope@Hilton.com .

Bruce Pope

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Haven't stayed with Hampton Inn's often, but was very pleased with this property. Desk clerks were friendly and enjoyed having the option of 24 hour coffee, etc. The room was attractive, and extremely clean. My one complaint was the noise, both from the traffic on the highway outside and in the hallways. Constantly hearing voices and door closings...needs some work on sound proofing. It might help to ask for a room on the opposite side of the highway for outdoor noise. Overall a very nice hotel though.

Room Tip: Ask for room not facing the highway for noise reduction
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bruce_Pope, General Manager at Hampton Inn Hendersonville, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Tina B.,

We appreciated having the chance to have you as our guest at the Hampton Inn during your recent visit to Hendersonville, NC. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and to other TripAdvisor members regarding your stay at our hotel.

I am so glad to hear that you found our hotel to be extremely clean and that our staff was friendly and helpful to you. I also am happy that you enjoyed the little perks we offer to our guests, such as the 24-hour coffee bar. While we appreciate knowing the things that please you, we also like to know where we can improve. I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with the quietness of your guest room, and I hope that you will find a non-highway room to be a better choice for you during your next stay with us.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write an online review of our hotel. We hope that you will be able to return again soon to the mountains of western North Carolina, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hampton Inn.

Supply, North Carolina
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Well maintained facility and friendly, helpful staff. The room was nicely furnished and very clean. The bed was comfortable. I really appreciate that duvet covers are replaced with clean ones for each new guest. I would definitely stay here again.

Dear QuiltNLady,

Thank you so much for staying with us at the Hampton Inn Hendersonville during your recent trip to western North Carolina. I am so glad that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us.

It's always nice to get such specific positive feedback from guests. I will be certain to pass your comments along to our staff. They will enjoy knowing that their hard work is appreciated by our guests.

We hope that you'll be able to return again soon to our part of North Carolina, and we hope that you'll allow us to welcome you back to the Hampton Inn!

Newport News, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

It was clean, with friendly employee faces, very good food, excellent coffee. The employees go out of their way to make sure you are taken care of. It is so nice to have a Hilton- Hampton Inn in Hendersonville, N.C.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Bruce_Pope, General Manager at Hampton Inn Hendersonville, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Mallory J.,

I am so glad to hear that you've had such positive experiences with us here at the Hampton Inn Hendersonville. Thank you for choosing to share your story with us and with other TripAdvisor members via your online review.

It's always nice to hear that a guest has been completely satisfied with the amenities and services provided by our hotel. I am happy to hear that we upheld the high standards of a Hilton property that you were seeking during your trip to western North Carolina. Additionally, I will be certain to share your remarks with our employees. They will love to hear about how much your enjoyed your trip.

Thank you again for the 5-star review of our property! I hope that you will be able to return again soon to the Hendersonville area and that you'll allow us to welcome you back to the Hampton Inn.

Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Basic hotel, nothing too fancy, but probably the best in the area. Needed a place near Flat Rock for business and this was the best option, in my opinion. Was satisfied with room. Wish there were some weights or a weight lifting machine in the fitness room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Dear JZ26,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your recent experiences with us here at the Hampton Inn Hendersonville. We are so thankful that you chose our hotel for your lodging needs, and are glad to hear that you were mostly satisfied with your stay.

While we appreciate knowing the things that pleased you, we also like to know where we can improve. I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with our fitness center, and I thank you for the suggestions on how we can improve it. We will pass those along to our corporate office.

I hope that your business travels will bring you back to our area again soon, and that you'll again choose to stay with us at the Hampton Inn. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hendersonville.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed 3 nites in late July. Second time we have stayed at this hotel. Clean room, comfortable bed, good breakfast, coffee available 24 hr in lobby, good location, friendly staff. WiFi a little weak. Convenient to attractions in area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bruce_Pope, General Manager at Hampton Inn Hendersonville, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear HEC8,

Thank you for writing a 5-star review of our hotel on TripAdvisor! We appreciate that you chose to stay with us and we thank you for sharing your experiences at our hotel with others via your online review.

I am so happy that we were able to provide a great place for you to stay during your 3-night visit to our area in July! Many of the things that you mentioned in your review are key selling points that we strive to provide for each of our guests here at the Hampton Inn. I do apologize that you found our WiFi to be weak; if you experience any issues like this during a future visit, please report it to my staff and we'll work to see if we can correct the situation.

Thank you again for taking your time to write a review of our hotel! We hope that you'll be able to return to Hendersonville soon, and we look forward to welcome you back to the Hampton Inn!

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Not very clean. Not much attention to detail.

Rooms have VERY poor lighting choices. Even in the middle of the day with the window coverings totally open with bright sun shining outside, it was very dark in the room. There isn't a big overhead light and the lamps are dim.

Okay Wifi.

Very poor selection of television channels. No HGTV, no Bravo, no TLC. Just basic cable plus HBO and a few extra news channels (like CNN).

Pretty good breakfast. The french toast you can warm up in the microwave really isn't bad.

This is definitely not the best Hampton Inn I've stayed in.

I could hear a lot of noise in the hallway--slamming doors mostly. Caused me to wake up a few times each night.

The room also felt pretty humid and I couldn't get the temperature right. It seemed either too cold or too warm.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear claired13,

Thank you for staying with us at the Hampton Inn during your recent trip to our area. I am glad to hear that you were satisfied with our hotel's breakfast and that our service levels were acceptable to you.

I sincerely apologize that there were many things that you were dissatisfied with during your stay. If you would like to discuss any of these issues in further detail, please contact me directly at Bruce.Pope@Hilton.com or (828) 697-2333.

We would love to have another chance to become your hotel of choice in western North Carolina! Please consider giving us that opportunity during your next visit to Hendersonville. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hampton Inn.

Bruce Pope
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hendersonville
Best Western Hendersonville Inn
#6 of 11 in Hendersonville
Mountain Lodge
Mountain Lodge
#3 of 5 in Flat Rock

Been to Hampton Inn Hendersonville? Share your experiences!