“Unexpectedly good!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went for lunch. The usual suspects on the menu, but everything made carefully and with very fresh ingredients. Very nice service, good atmosphere.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We've eaten Japanese all over the world, including Japan. This is as good as it gets! Sushi and entrees are great.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Liked everything about this Japanese restaurant. I had the shrimp tempura, and my wife the veggie fried rice. Never had better tempura veggies or shrimp. I would return and suggest it to others. The waitress's service made the meal enjoyable.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We kept seeing Umi's sign while shopping at Mast General Store and along Main Street and decided to give it a try on Thursday around 11:30 a.m. The restaurant is very nice inside and we were seated within view of the sushi chefs. The lunch menu is very reasonable with several Bento Box combinations as well as sushi combinations. All of us enjoyed our meals.

The service was very good; prompt and efficient. The ladies in our party reported that the rest rooms were in excellent condition, which often serves as an accurate measurement of the venue overall. The private parking area is another plus. We had a very positive experience and will return soon.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

The sushi chef David Zheng went out of his way to make my dinner perfect last night. I moved to Hendersonville several months ago and have been missing a roll I often got in Virginia. I asked Chef David if he took "requests', and he recreated that roll for me. How gracious he was to make a special dish for me when there were several special rolls on Umi's menu that night!

The amuse-bouche is wonderful; it's contains crab, tempura crunchies, shredded lettuce, and a good sauce all mixed together. I enjoy the sashimi, which is presented artfully with shredded daikon and beet. Many of the special rolls include cream cheese or fruit, so I tend to stick with more classic rolls and sashimi. The spicy rolls are fairly mild, so if you like heat, ask for extra spicy.

On the down side - It seemed to me that the servers were over-extended. I had to ask for a water refill, there were tables with dishes from previous diners, etc. I find the sushi at Umi more expensive than it was in Virginia, but there were many more restaurants competing for Japanese food customers there.

I would highly recommend the sushi bar. I haven't tried the rest of the menu yet.