“As good of a German Place as Taco Bell is a Mexican Place”

Haus Heidelberg German Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 204 Restaurants in Hendersonville
Cuisines: Delicatessen, German
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2009

It's hard to find good places to eat German food and I was excited by the prospect of eating here after reading the reviews. Upon walking in, we were seated directly underneath a window unit air conditioner. The host moved us to another booth that would be a tad quieter and cozy. Overall, the atmosphere looked more like a bar stuck in the 70's than other German venues. Of course there were steins and such, but it didn't have the feel of a bavarian hideaway in Hendersonville.

The service was incorrect and the waitress seemed very flustered. Salads came with 2 of the goup's entrees' and she had to be reminded of this after she brough out all of the entrees. Jager Schnitzel was decent, but the mushroom sauce was too spicy. Same for the red kraut. It's not supposed to have heat (spicy). Bratwurst was okay, but unimpressive. The goulash soup tasted like peppered Campbells minestrone. The heralded reuben was soggy and lacked flavor. Overall, this place was not worth the time and effort. As a big fan of German food, it's doing a disservice to other places that serve this food. It perpetuates the stereotype that German food is heavy, oversauced, and not all that good.

4  Thank Krautman

Reviewed August 8, 2009

We recently returned from Bavaria so we were looking for some good German food. The atmosphere was good. There was a TV showing great scenes of all the places we had been. The sausages were milder than we remembered. I personally didn't like the potato salad as much as the dishes we had in Germany. My wife loved the ruben sandwich. While not perfect, I would return to try other dishes on the menu. Good service. Oh, try the apple strudel. It's great!

Reviewed June 2, 2009

As an immigrant from Germany, I am almost always disappointed when eating at German restaurants, because the food seldom resembles what I'm used to from home. The Heidelberg Inn is an exception. I had two different sausages which tasted just like back home. The red cabbage was perhaps a bit overcooked, but still good, and the roast potatoes were authentic. So was the beer! I think what makes the difference is that the cook is actually an immigrant from Germany who came over in the 90's. Since we're moving to Hendersonville, this restaurant will become a favorite for sure!

2  Thank transplant09
Reviewed June 1, 2009

We usually eat at this German restaurant whenever we travel near Hendersonville. The schnitzels are all good but usually get the jagerschnitzel with spatzle. The spatzle (noodles) really go good with the gravy. A typical german salad is served with tomato, green beans, and thin cucumber slices. They have a number of german beers. Usually get the Dinkel Acker Dark but they didn't have it this last visit. They have sandwiches also. Try their reubin. If you like german food, I'd recommend you try it.

1  Thank JRoOntheRoad
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We were excited to go to a German restaurant as we do not have one in our home town. My boyfriend and I had just purchased restaurant.com gift certificates and Haus Heidelberg was on their list, so we chose the $25 gift certificate and drove over. We had a nice dinner until we presented the certificate to the waitress. She told us "Oh, that was on special [which was NOT on special because it was printed in the menu at price] and I can't give you the special and take the gift certificate. I'm going to have to change your ticket."
We said ok, that's fine. How much more could it be? But when she brought the check back, she had added $15 to the bill!
We followed all the guidelines on the restaurant.com gift certificate. It had a minimum purchase amount and we were well within it. We will never go back to this restaurant.

3  Thank nicknack30