“Very good food.”

Cuisines: Delicatessen, German
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I must admit I have not had a lot of German food but my traveling companion was an expert and he was happy happy happy. He wanted German food and had found a place 40 miles out of the way when I found Haus Heidelberg listed at the hotel. We had the Haus Heidelberg Sampler and I am now a German food fan. I can't begin to tell you what we had but its listed on the menu so you can see what it was, other than great. They were out of Black Forest Cake but I couldn't have eaten a piece anyway. The interior was very German, lots of clocks and I loved the film of Germany. Excellent food.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

If you don't like sausages and pork wiener schnitzel, they don't offer any veal wiener schnitzel, don't go there. There are only two other choices besides them. I got the sauerbraten. Although the beef slices were tender, the sauce tasted like it was made only from sugar and cornstarch and was really awful. To add to the sugar overload, the red cabbage was cooked to mushy consistency and was also oversugared. I have had it before, and I know that it contains sugar and vinegar, but this was terribly sickly sweet as was the sauerbraten. Since this meal was $17.95, we expected something more edible. We also didn't like the house salad which was comprised of cold green beans, iceberg lettuce, and slices of cucumber and tomato in a heavy, creamy dressing. It didn't go together well, and there were no other salad choices. I wouldn't go back there, and I can't recommend it. None of the food was worth a second visit, and we were sorry we went there at all. The atmosphere looks like a cafeteria, and they have a video loop of Heidelberg on TVs all around the room that you can't avoid seeing. It was interesting the first 3 times but became really boring the next 30 times after that. The only positive thing I can say is that there are some nice beer choices. Variety is the spice of life, yet the food was lifeless there. I've eaten in good German restaurants before, and this was bottom of the barrel.

3  Thank CirceWPB
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Hubby had the sausage platter with hot potato salad and kraut. I had the jaegerschnitzel...both delicious and more than enough to eat. I also enjoyed the unique salad which came with the meal. We also liked watching the video of the beautiful German countryside which played throughout our meal. One suggestion would be to replace or re-cushion the seats...very lumpy!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

From the cutie who ushered us to our seat, to the to-die-for food and beer!!! Makes me want to move to the area! We were there a couple years ago and ate and drank all we could hold! We are planning a trip back to the Blue Ridge and the HAUS HEIDELBURG is a specific destination on our trek!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Sandwiches were great. The Roasted potatoes were cold and tasted leftover. They are usually much better.

1  Thank Don H