“Yummy authentic German food”

Haus Heidelberg German Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 205 Restaurants in Hendersonville
Cuisines: Delicatessen, German
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2012

One of my favorite restaurants around. Always consistent and tasty. Reservations can be taken, suggested for weekends and good tables. Servers are great and friendly. They are also pretty child friendly. Make sure you visit the deli and shop next door for authentic German finds

1  Thank Heather L

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Once again I found myself in Hendersonville during dinner time and the obvious choice was Haus Heidelberg! We had been here once before and fell in love with the food. The location is very unpretentious its simple, not loaded up with "stuff" like many other traditional German restaurants I have been to are. The food is the exact same way! Its exactly what you want when you go to a German restaurant. To start off our dinner we had the house salad which has some of the simplest veggies in it. Green beans, lettuce, tomato and cucumber but its the dressing that they put on it that makes it pop! Its light and refreshing!
I stuck to my old standby when I go to German restaurants, the sausages!!! I have tried several of the sausages and I have not found any that I do not like which is surprising there are usually a couple sausages that I just do not care for, but I tried the sampler tonight and loved them all! There Spaetzle is outstanding, some of the best I have ever had. The red cabbage is equally as good, I have fallen in love with German red cabbage and theirs is some of the best around! Tonight I tried the wine cabbage (Sauerkraut) along with the red and I actually like the sauerkraut just as much! All to often I get way overpowered vinegar taste when ordering Sauerkraut, but not with theirs, it was just right! My wife got Jagermeister Schnitzel which was breaded pork and a wonderful brown mushroom sauce. This is the second time she has gotten it and it was just as delicious our first try. Even there kids meals are great. My daughter will NOT eat any of the standard German fare, so when we found out that they had a proper kids menu we were quite excited. Our daughter got the chicken fingers and mashed potatoes. Once her meal arrived she was surprised and how good the meal looked. She could not stop talking about the chicken and how good it tasted, lets not even get into the mashed potatoes! Okay, maybe I will, they were wonderful! Seasoned perfectly, with butter and cream... oh man, so good!!!!
All in all, I would really encourage anyone thinking about coming to this restaurant to look at all of the good reviews, I have met the owners and I cannot believe some of the stories that I have heard on here. In short; Great food, great service, decent prices, standard but delicious kids menu and great beer!!!

1  Thank DrPhish
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Never in my life have I ever walked out of a restaurant, this was a first! The food was so bad. The potato pancakes were large and thick and doughy and so heavily seasoned with nutmeg they were bitter. The red cabbage was spoiled and rotten, and the gravy for the saur Brauten was nasty. I am German and have eaten many different versions of German food and this stuff was just food gone bad, and in past date, rotten, bad cook. kind in bad. Then the waiter tried to convince me that Weiner Schnitzle isn't made of veal, they have NO veal on their menu at all they say its to expensive for them to work with, yet they list it on the menu and serve pork or some other meat in its place. Spare yourself don't go or you'll have that bitter nutmeg taste or some other spoiled food taste in your mouth all night long! Who knows you might even have to pay for it too!

2  Thank jetty5253
Helge H, Owner at Haus Heidelberg German Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

I was very disappointed by your review of my restaurant on Tripadvisor. In addition to exaggeratiing the facts there are some outright statements with no factual value to them....
First of all i RESENT your assertion, that my food was rotten, it most certainly was not neither the Red cabbage (which we sell 200 pounds a week of and it couldn't go bad if we tried), also not everybody likes sauerbraten sauce with raisins in it but to call it nasty is just being unfair (which seems to be the point of your entire review). You were right about the Potato pancakes and we told you so while you were here, and you declined me making things right. we didn't charge you for anything, so why try to make people think we did!?
As for the Veal nowhere on the menu does it say we serve veal, as you so glibly point out in your "review"
We at Haus Heidelberg are proud of the food we serve

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Such a mystery to me how a really good German chef and his family ended up in Hendersonville. Wish they were somewhere I visit more often, because I would eat here again and again. I lived in Europe for a year, and ever since have sought out good German food to no avail. But here it is. Very high quality meats, perfectly prepared sides. Unfortunately we were way too full from the sauerkrat and red cabbage to even think about strudel.
This is not what you would call a "white-tablecloth" restaurant. Its more of a beer and sausage place. But I looked around the room and saw families, bikers, tourists, and couples (and a line out the door)- basically a cross section of America- ones seeking good food at a very affordable price. Yes- a bit tacky-but the wall of postcards was fun, and we enjoyed watching the film of Germany on the TV monitors. But ambiance does not matter once you are biting a perfectly cooked wurst.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

the place is not dumpy it has decor of german items such as plates and mugs and a large screen showing scenes of germany. makes me want to go there. service and food was good. seemed to have lots of locals