“Awesome Anniversary Weekend!”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hendersonville B&B and Inns
Jacksonville, North Carolina
“Awesome Anniversary Weekend!”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this Inn The Staff/Owners were very attentive and the Inn itself is Gorgeous. The local Restaurants are Excellent and the historic town of Hendersonville is quaint. We had a blast going through the shops and neat Museum all within walking distance. The evening social hour is nice they make sure everyone feels engaged .There are cakes and cookies always out for you to enjoy and they are delicious We did a day trip to Biltmore Estate and it was Beautifully decorated for Christmas Our room was on the front of the building and noise was not an issue The Homemade Breakfast was Superb! We have stayed in many bed and breakfast and this one is top notch We hope to return soon. Thanks for making our Anniversary Special.

Room Tip: Just GO you will not regret it.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Charlotte
Reviewed November 6, 2013

From the moment we arrived, Diane made us feel welcome and at home! The Bed and Breakfast is charming and warm. The rooms are lovely and tastefully decorated. The Inn is located just down the street from the main street area of Hendersonville - an easy walk to quaint shops and dining.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
north carolina
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The Waverly is over 100 years old and a lovely rambling Victorian 3 story inn it is. Because of its age, one must allow for the small but cozy rooms, tiny closets and small bathrooms with clawfoot tubs. If you enjoy historic properties, these small inconveniences are part of the fun! The owners have done all one could do to add modern amenities, for example making taking a shower possible in a clawfoot tub. Our room even had a small flat screen TV, unusual in historic B&Bs but great for the World Series! The breakfast is outstanding, with many delicious choices available everyday. The owner has a wonderful cocktail hour in the evening with wine and cheese and pleasant conversation. The location of the Inn is wonderful... just one block from the marvelous downtown area with its many shops and restaurants. Dont miss the charming Mineral and Lapidary museum and the Historic Hendersonville museum with its wonderful Civil War room found in the old courthouse. Two blocks away is the Southern Appalachian Brewery with local microbrews. You can walk to everything. Because it is right in town, there is a little street noise, but we just ran the AC fan and had no problem. Stayed in Fire Pink on the 3rd floor and it was small but comfortable with a king bed. A unique experience all around, and a wonderful B&B.

Room Tip: Fire Pink on the 3rd floor was good. A bit small but quiet with no one above or on one side.
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed October 30, 2013

So I picked this inn mainly because of the reviews here, both my husband and I were totally disappointed! Truthfully, we can not believe how these people gave these reviews. I certainly hope you post my review, so that people looking for a place can get a different perspective. The Inn itself is beautiful, that is true. We understand it is an old house and we are not picking on the structure or the fact that it is old. That was the only thing we actually cared for. The beds are truly uncomfortable!! They are extremely worn, bulgy, lumpy etc.. It is not just one bed because we asked for a different room our second night there (another story). The linens, though a beautiful color as mentioned by another reviewer, did not smell fresh. The bathroom of the first room we had, had a wonderful old fashioned tub, however due to the fact that the plastic shower curtain had to be pulled into the tub (and there was a lot of stiff plastic!!) you could barely take a shower (by the way I am a small female). The shower curtain left a lot to be desired, it was quite dirty and you did not really want to come into contact with it. The second room we had, was a shower only, so that was better. The paint on this poor old house has been slapped on layer after layer. I am not an expert painter by any means, I do not stay very well in the lines, but I do know better, than to try to cover up bad paint with more bad paint. I considered taking pictures but than I decided this review was bad enough. One more thing I have to mention for you coffee lovers...do not drink the coffee!! My own pet peeve, but really Hampton Inn has better coffee! All in all, I am glad we only spent 2 nights here! I am not even going to mention the noise issues or the billing issues we had. I don't know about all those wonderful reviews on here but this was not cheap and definitely not worth the money!

3 Thank edownie3
4innkeepers, Manager at 1898 Waverly Inn, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
We are sorry that you were so disappointed with your stay. We are also sorry that we were unable to correct some of the issues since we were not aware of them at the time of your stay. The only thing we knew was that you has a hard time walking to the third floor. Although we have some guests that really like our coffee, we have had some people request something stronger so we are currently working on that. An alternative is to have coffee from the Flavia machine where there are several options available. Your waitress will make it for you at breakfast if you request it! Most people comment on how much they love our beds so this was upsetting and we are terribly sorry that you were not comfortable in either bed. We do have soft, fluffy mattress toppers on the beds and some people dislike them. If we are made aware that you do not like it, we are happy to remove it from your bed. The top of the line handmade park Place mattresses are usually an asset. I have made the housekeeping staff aware that the shower curtains are not being properly cleaned and we will get them replaced. Thank you for that constructive criticism. We do appreciate your taking the time to voice your thoughts.
Vonore, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Inn its self is beautiful. The bed linens, wall colors, and special details to everyroom is magnificent. The Owner's really take thought into everything. The breakfast is wonderful. Everything is fresh and filling. Many choices from a classic eggs'n'bacon to a fabulous fresh fruit covered french toast! Homemade cakes and cookies out all afternoon and night! Two grand porches to just sit and relax. The Staff is great! Diane, Darla, John and Debbie thanks for everything. All of us girls had a great time and were very relaxed. Also thanks for letting us take over the Inn for getting ready for my wedding! You all thought of everything and we couldn't have asked for anything else!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband has to get all the credit for this choice. He was planning our "Fall Colors" vacation and stumbled on the 1898 Waverly Inn Bed and Breakfast. I have to say that this was the best hotel (and I hate to call it a hotel because it was really like staying at home but you don't have to do any work) that we have ever stayed in. It looks like the period in the name--1898--but with modern amenities. The proprietors and all the staff are only interested in one thing and that is making sure that your stay is comfortable and most of all memorable. Starting at 5pm and going til 6pm, or maybe a little later, is a social gathering on the front porch which is large and covered. Diane is the hostess and inspires conversation between all the guests. No one feels left out. You can have wine, lemonade, cheese and crackers, but that is just the prelude to what waits in the dining room after hours. Someone, and I was told that it is Darla (Diane's sister) whips up these scrumptious desserts and leaves clean dishes, silverware and coffee cups so that you can have a little midnight snack. After you have slept the night away in your room (which is very cozy) you can come down to breakfast which is cooked by John, Diane's husband. Breakfast is wonderful! There is a daily special. It is between 8 and 9am. Everything is cooked perfectly. I would and already have recommended this establishment to anyone who is planning to go to North Carolina. There are shops and gourmet restaurants within walking distance of the Inn. Thank you Diane, John, Darla and your staff for a really memorable experience.

Room Tip: We had two different rooms because we split our stay. Ours were the Hepatica and the Azalia. Both...
1 Thank Kathy n John J
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Never even thought about going to a bed-and-breakfast before, but I found myself needing to stay in town (Hendersonville) a day longer to complete some business. While the previous five nights have been covered by the company, this night was on ME.

I only had three simple goals in mind - clean, close, and cheap.
To be honest the room was more than I expected, but still quite reasonable.

I came very close to saying no and going online and setting my pricing on a room at a chain hotel like I usually do... Boy oh boy!! Am I ever glad I was too tired to do that, because honestly this was THE best lodging experience I've ever had in my 40+ years of life.

In today's modern world I tend to think of comfort and luxury at a hotel as fine dining, cutting edge architecture & technology, and an almost museum like feel.

Let's just say I've had a complete change of heart. The Waverly Inn is old school. And I experienced so much happiness as a result.

This feel like the ultimate trip to grandma's house. From the thick plush carpet throughout the entire house, to the bed that's so high up I felt like I had to climb up into it. From the homemade cookies and cake waiting for you when you come in, to the soft, plush bedding that I literally had to touch twice because I couldn't believe what I was feeling.

There was the moment I discovered there was a robe and decided to wear it to go get my breakfast real quick after cleaning myself up in the morning. When I placed it on...this is THE absolute truth... I stopped moving. It felt as soft as a cloud, like butter.

So let me wrap this up because I could go on forever and ever (and I've never posted a review for anything before).

This is what I remember about my visit - the Waverly made me smile. It made me smile at least six or seven times. Things were so nice and wonderful that several times I actually just started smiling. All by myself, with the biggest, dumbest grin across my face.

The Waverly just made me happy.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Steelgambit
4innkeepers, Manager at 1898 Waverly Inn, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
We are so happy we made you smile! We ALL need more smiles in our lives. :) :)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hendersonville
Hampton Inn Hendersonville
#6 of 11 in Hendersonville
Red Roof Inn Hendersonville
Red Roof Inn Hendersonville
#7 of 11 in Hendersonville

Been to 1898 Waverly Inn? Share your experiences!