“What a wonderful place to stay”

Melange Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 15 Hendersonville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Winterville, North Carolina
“What a wonderful place to stay”
Reviewed December 20, 2008

We stayed here for a romantic getaway. The house was gorgeous, and the attention to detail was fantastic! We stayed in the emerald room. The bed was was wonderful, the room gorgeous and the hosts gracious.

The breaksfasts were to die for. We ate so much, that we saved money on food because we were too full to eat the rest of the day. Each day was different. We stayed three nights, and enjoyed wonderful stolen, coffee cake, fruit parfaits, cheese blintzses and much more. Each morning was a treat to be treated with such care.

One evening we enjoyed a wonderful chocolate cake creation that was enchanting. Our room was supplied with water and soda, and wonderful robes.

Our hosts were gracious and offered suggestions (and directions) to places to visit.

The house was absolutely lovely, and I can't say enough how much we enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — The attention to detail of the house
  • Disliked — Loved every part of the place!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed December 11, 2008

I must first start this review with a note that this was a beautiful location for a wedding ceremony with lovely facilities and fantastic food. We throughly enjoyed our ceremony and reception and the weekend would have been perfect if not for the hosts themselves.

I must first say that we rented the entire B&B for the weekend of our ceremony which was to include Fri and Sat nights as well as Sun morning. I was disappointed to find that the owner also booked an important area of the grounds on Friday night to an anniversary dinner party without informing us that we would not have access to that area of the house for which we had already paid (a pretty penny I might add). This party led to less than attentive service to us by our hosts that evening. I have read that as part of the nightly accomodation, you are entitled to a dessert anywhere in the house or grounds each evening. Other reviews state that this was offered to them freely, I happened to read about this in their rental manual provided in each room (never mentioned by the owners) and had to ask that me and my guests be served. This was met with some reluctance and it was at that time we were told we could not be served in the area of our choice (the mediterranean courtyard) as it was booked for the other occasion. Ultimately we were served in another patio but the gathering was disrupted by the loud talk and laughter of the other party booked that evening. That party stayed fairly late into the evening and was disruptive to our free use of the house and grounds. This seemed a very blatant violation of our contract as we paid top dollar to rent the ENTIRE Inn that weekend.

The wedding itself was beautiful with the exception that only a few hours prior to our ceremony as we were getting the grounds and ourselves prepared, we were met with a direct and unpleasant confrontation from the Inn owner concerning our beverages. The Inn charges a fee on for all alcoholic beverages on top of the price paid for the alcohol itself (which we provided) and the bartender fee (which was a separate charge). He disapproved that our alcohol was in small kegs as opposed to individual bottles and demanded extra fees for the kegs on top of what was already paid. The difference was likely $20-40 dollars for him but created a very bad taste in our mouths that he would be so rude to the bride herself just hours before the ceremony. My husband ended up handling the dispute to avoid stressing me out on our special day and ended up handing over additional money to the Inn owner. We didn't mind paying the extra funds, we were more shocked by aggressive and rude way in which we were approached with the problem.

I truly hate to give a bad review to this Inn as it could have been an absolutely perfect and lovely experience had the owners not been so rude. Our wedding was lovely and did enjoy ourselves but had I known before the cold welcome we would experience, I would have chosen another location with more gracious hosts. People truly do make the experience.

We will not be returning to the Inn to celebrate any of our other special occasions.

Truly sad to post a poor review,
The disappointed bride

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank CrumpleZ0ne
NE, Arkansas
Reviewed August 29, 2008

We stayed at the Melange due to a wedding. From the moment we walked into this beautiful place we were amazed and could hardly believe our eyes. The hosts have really gone all out in decor. This home is amazing from the top to the bottom.

I got the Emerald room and I could not have been happier. It is beautiful. There is a huge comfy bed with nice linens. There were remarkable little touches all over the room including a deco style floor lamp, a fireplace, a rocking chair and writing desk. There was also a balcony. There were more books in the room than I could ever read of all subjects and a T.V and C.D player (Many titles included). The bathroom was stocked with bottled water, soda, herbal tea packets and free samples of avon night cream.

I had a jet tub and a huge shower. The bath robes were a plus and everything about my room was as perfect as you will get in this life.

The breakfast was unbelievable. Everything tasted great and since they used all natural all organic products you can feel safe in eating it. There was much fruit and juice and breakfast breads and we really were painfully full when we left the breakfast table.

The wedding was on site and it was perfect. The reception to follow was wonderful with the food provided by the Melange. Again it was great. I was very sad to leave and can't wait to go back.

The hosts were just as wonderful as the home they manage and if you find yourself in the area then you should check this place out. You will not be sorry.

I can't believe someone would give this place a bad rating. That just goes to show that you can not please everyone and some people want to be unhappy regardless of how wonderful the situation.

• Liked — everything - I also loved the cats laying around
  • Disliked — Can't think of one bad thing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank eryngobra
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed June 11, 2008

My husband and I have stayed at Melange twice (September 2005 and 2006) and I am planning our next trip right now. I was distressed to see a negative review so I am writing (a little late) about our two experiences. We loved everything about the Inn and we especially enjoyed the hosts. The rooms are immaculate, the breakfast is superb, the grounds and common areas are fascinating. I have recommended this Inn to several friends and they also loved it. We can't wait to get back!!!

• Liked — hosts, rooms, grounds, breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank MimiinAtlanta
Greenville, SC
Reviewed February 12, 2008

I was married at Melange in June 2007 and have visited several times since. The first time I drove up to the property, I knew instantly that I would be married there. My wedding was amazing - even more beautiful than I could have ever dreamed.

Mehmet and Lale, the inkeepers, are the best of hosts. They are very accommodating and tend to my every whim. The gardens are breathtaking and the food...oh the food...is extraordinary. I have a passion for fine dining, and without fail, I have been impressed by their dishes. Each creative and delectable meal boasts the freshest of ingredients melded together perfectly. Mehmet and Lale truly make cooking an art form.

The rooms are uniquely decorated with momentos from Mehmet and Lale's travels around the world. The word Melange itself means a collection or a blend of things of different kinds; it is the perfect description of the inn. Each room exudes European charm and luxury.

I would like to comment on a previous review regarding cats. There are a couple cats on the property, but the only time I really see them is when I go look for them (when you meet Kismet the cat, you will go looking for him too). Melange has excellent health inspection reports. You can view them yourself as they are displayed conspicuously in the dining room.

I would highly recommend Melange to anyone who enjoy a taste of European culture, great food, and being pampered. I intend to return again and again.

• Liked — The hosts and the food!
  • Disliked — Absolutely Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008
3 Thank lauraswc
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed January 14, 2008

Very nice stay. Although I haven't stayed in one of the hotels in the area, I can't believe that they would be as nice an experience. Room was spacious and the attention to detail was obvious. Inn keepers are very attentive and friendly. Breakfast was nicely done and plentiful.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Might be loud if a wedding is being hosted
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Va48
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 5, 2007

We just returned from a relaxing weekend in the NC mountains, and highly recommend Melange Bed & Breakfast. We will miss the gourmet breakfasts especially! The innkeepers go out of their way to assist you, and always offer you an afternoon snack or beverage. Take them up on it-- it will be delicious! They even prepared kid-friendly pancakes and waffles for our 11-year-old daughter. (This is not an inn for people trying to diet.) We are cat lovers, and also enjoyed meeting Hobbs, Kismet, and Goldilocks. When we return to Hendersonville, we will stay at Melange. We have stayed at other inns in the area, and my family agrees this one is the best!

• Liked — Large suite for family, 2 TVs, excellent breakfasts, beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hendersonville
Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville
#2 of 5 in Flat Rock
Mountain Lodge
Mountain Lodge
#3 of 5 in Flat Rock

Been to Melange Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!