“Still great!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“Still great!”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We have been many times over the past few months. Friends have agreed with our choice. Rainer, the chef and owner, does a great job of selecting and preparing fresh fish. The ambience is quite comfortable. The wine list has some good selections. The service is very good and relaxed. This is the best fish restaurant in Hendersonville and worth repeated business.

• Visited March 2014

“A Wonderful Find”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I had seen this restaurant driving by many times. We finally decided to try it and were delighted we did. I was a little leery because of mixed reviews, but there was apparently new ownership that might have made a difference. There was only one other table occupied (on a cold Wednesday evening). I had the sea trout special with pumpkin seed crust; my companion had the mahi mahi. Both dishes were excellent and accompanied by the usual salad and starch (boiled potatoes were the chef's choice). The wine list is limited, but we found a very nice bottle of silky chianti to accompany our meal. (Yes, we prefer European reds.) There was a lovely chocolate mocha cake served hot that completed our meal. Chef Reiner (and owner) has done a great job. We will return for more of the same good seafood.

• Visited January 2014
“Wretched”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I'm with "Disturbing Experience" on this one:

The facts: this place had 4 tables available for dining and the night we were there two people appeared to be running the place, a man in the kitchen cooking and a woman serving. The place – I refuse to call it a restaurant – was taken over by new owners about 6 months ago, I'm assuming that's who we dealt with. I had been to the restaurant before these owners, and the menu was more extensive than the current one. Also the staff was friendly then, unlike now.

A friend and I made reservations for dinner here on a Saturday night, after which we were going to a play – we allowed an hour and a half for dinner.
What a retched dining experience it turned out to be. I have never felt so uncomfortable in a restaurant before, and I dine out quite a bit. What made our experience at the Blue Water Seafood Restaurant & Market wretched was service so bad that even better food could not possibly ever make up for it
This place took an hour and 10 mins. to produce two entrees, one of which was not even complete and we never even saw the appetizer we ordered – it's like it vanished into thin air.
And then there was our server. This woman could not even handle describing approximately how big a bowl vs. a cup of soup was, and that was literally just the beginning of a string of awkward, unpleasant encounters with her.
For example, when, after waiting for food for 40 mins. I explained we needed to be somewhere in another 50 mins. she pointedly told us that if that was the case we should have told them that when we made the reservation. I also asked her if they had started our entrees – we were going to cancel them if they had not – and she said they had. It was another 35 mins. before they ever appeared. I think she lied to us. That left us 15 mins. to wolf down our food – so all I can say about the food is that the portions were big enough so that I wasn't hungry the rest of the evening.
To cap off this lovely dining experience at the register the woman made a point of asking for a tip. Need I say more, other than it is obvious why I'll never go back and that the service was so retched it prompted me to write such a lengthy review detailing the badness we experienced at the Blue Water Restaurant & Market in Hendersonville, NC.

• Visited October 2013
Brevard, North Carolina
“Distrubing Experince”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Diner from Asheville Joined Oct 2013

I have never been tempted to write a review before but am inspired to do so after our experience at the Blue Water Seafood Restaurant last night. First of all, the food was good, the presentation pleasant and the atmosphere cozy. However, the service we received was poor and even disturbing. We called earlier to request reservations at 6:15 and were told that wasn't possible but 6 was open. We left a workshop early in order to get there by 6 only to find that there was only `1 other person in the building. Only 4 other people came in while we were there (2 tables). Upon establishing that we had reservations (no welcome to our restaurant or other greeting), the waitress turned and without a word walked into another room. When she came back, we had to ask her if our table was in that room. After looking over our menus, we asked if there were specials since she had not mentioned any. She quickly went over the main choices but gave no details. After questioning, she indicated that the details were on the board in the front room but agreed to go over them for us anyway (seeming annoyed that she had to do that). We had several questions concerning the menu and possible substitutions. She seemed very irritated and got the owner to explain to us why they didn't like to do substitutions. He did reluctantly agree to do a couple for us. One of us requested potatoes (which were on the menu) instead of rice. He did receive the potatoes and no rice but not the other side that was suppose to come with his special. Another in our party received only broccoli as a side which was suppose to include carrots. When we asked about the vegetables our server indicated in an irritated voice that she had brought the broccoli. We pointed out that she had told us earlier that carrots were part of the vegetables du jour. Without a word, she turned around and left our table. A while later the owner brought out a small dish of carrots. At no time did anyone apologize for the oversight. One of our party received her meal a full 10 minutes before the rest of us without any explanation. No one ever checked to see if we needed refills on drinks although 1 of our glasses was empty about half way though the meal. We continued to be friendly and polite despite the problems. We regularly eat at nice, upscale restaurants and usually encounter servers who are friendly, attentive and eager to please. Unfortunately our server last evening was none of the above. In fact, she seldom if ever smiled and acted as if she was doing us a favor by serving us. Although we routinely leave tips of 15 to 20% even for mediocre service , the lady that was treating us to dinner decided that the service was not worth more than 11% (rounding up from 10). As we were leaving, the owner confronted us, wanting to know why we had left such a small gratuity especially after they had gone out of their way to make substitutions. The waitress continued to mumble about how hard she had worked and how disgusting it was for us to leave such a small tip. They waited until the lady that paid the bill came out of the restroom and confronted her as well. They were amazingly unprofessional. Needless to say, we won't be going back and will make sure no one we know goes. I doubt that they will be there much longer anyway.

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank carolyn b
Navarre, Fl.
“Blue Water Seafood Restaurant”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My wife and I are from the Gulf Coast and enjoy good seafood. We often eat out and enjoy the fresh seafood at our local restaurants. When we are in Hendersonville for 6 months throughout the summer we often visit the Blue Water Seafood Restaurant. They have a vast menu with many items to choose from. If you can not find something to eat there your just not wanting to eat. The food is absolutely wonderful and fresh. Last time we went I had the Grouper and it was moist and delicious. I would say that this is the best place in Hendersonville for seafood and I would recommend it to everyone.

• Visited August 2013