“Distrubing Experince”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Diner from Asheville Joined Oct 2013

I have never been tempted to write a review before but am inspired to do so after our experience at the Blue Water Seafood Restaurant last night. First of all, the food was good, the presentation pleasant and the atmosphere cozy. However, the service we received was poor and even disturbing. We called earlier to request reservations at 6:15 and were told that wasn't possible but 6 was open. We left a workshop early in order to get there by 6 only to find that there was only `1 other person in the building. Only 4 other people came in while we were there (2 tables). Upon establishing that we had reservations (no welcome to our restaurant or other greeting), the waitress turned and without a word walked into another room. When she came back, we had to ask her if our table was in that room. After looking over our menus, we asked if there were specials since she had not mentioned any. She quickly went over the main choices but gave no details. After questioning, she indicated that the details were on the board in the front room but agreed to go over them for us anyway (seeming annoyed that she had to do that). We had several questions concerning the menu and possible substitutions. She seemed very irritated and got the owner to explain to us why they didn't like to do substitutions. He did reluctantly agree to do a couple for us. One of us requested potatoes (which were on the menu) instead of rice. He did receive the potatoes and no rice but not the other side that was suppose to come with his special. Another in our party received only broccoli as a side which was suppose to include carrots. When we asked about the vegetables our server indicated in an irritated voice that she had brought the broccoli. We pointed out that she had told us earlier that carrots were part of the vegetables du jour. Without a word, she turned around and left our table. A while later the owner brought out a small dish of carrots. At no time did anyone apologize for the oversight. One of our party received her meal a full 10 minutes before the rest of us without any explanation. No one ever checked to see if we needed refills on drinks although 1 of our glasses was empty about half way though the meal. We continued to be friendly and polite despite the problems. We regularly eat at nice, upscale restaurants and usually encounter servers who are friendly, attentive and eager to please. Unfortunately our server last evening was none of the above. In fact, she seldom if ever smiled and acted as if she was doing us a favor by serving us. Although we routinely leave tips of 15 to 20% even for mediocre service , the lady that was treating us to dinner decided that the service was not worth more than 11% (rounding up from 10). As we were leaving, the owner confronted us, wanting to know why we had left such a small gratuity especially after they had gone out of their way to make substitutions. The waitress continued to mumble about how hard she had worked and how disgusting it was for us to leave such a small tip. They waited until the lady that paid the bill came out of the restroom and confronted her as well. They were amazingly unprofessional. Needless to say, we won't be going back and will make sure no one we know goes. I doubt that they will be there much longer anyway.

4  Thank carolyn b

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My wife and I are from the Gulf Coast and enjoy good seafood. We often eat out and enjoy the fresh seafood at our local restaurants. When we are in Hendersonville for 6 months throughout the summer we often visit the Blue Water Seafood Restaurant. They have a vast menu with many items to choose from. If you can not find something to eat there your just not wanting to eat. The food is absolutely wonderful and fresh. Last time we went I had the Grouper and it was moist and delicious. I would say that this is the best place in Hendersonville for seafood and I would recommend it to everyone.

1  Thank Dan H
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Like previous reviewers, it is very confusing why this place is not attracting more customers because the food is excellent. Interesting specials, and lots of great options to try on their regular menu. I especially like that the food is NOT oversalted, as is true at so many places. I had their blackened redfish dish and my husband had the cod. Both dishes were very nicely prepared, the fish was very fresh and the staff was very nice. I hope they stay in business because this place is worth coming to over and over again!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our dinner was delicious but there was only one other table of people in the restaurant. We had scallops and they were grilled perfectly. Our server, Marcia, was attentive.

Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time at this restaurant and I was blown away by the quality of the seafood, the preparation and presentation. I have lived on the coast and know what fresh seafood is supposed to be. Normally I am very hesitant to order seafood this far inland. I am also very picky about my seafood, having grown up eating bad fish a long way from the coast. We ordered the peel and eat shrimp and from the first bite I knew that THIS was a place that I would be back to for fresh seafood! The shrimp were perfect; sweet, firm, freshly steamed and iced down. My wife had the smelt which were prepared exactly right. I had the grouper, and they actually had to fillet it first. Awesome! We had a nice bottle of white with our meal, and the price was more than reasonable. All in all, this place rocks. We will be regulars.

1  Thank Roland1240