“I'm no mathmatician”
Review of Square Root - CLOSED

Square Root
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in beautiful downtown Hendersonville, The Square Root Restaurant is a contemporary and cozy location to enjoy fabulous food. Our atmosphere is inviting for romantic evenings, cocktails with friends, and family gatherings. We pride ourselves on serving locally roasted coffee from The Brown Bean, and we offer several local brews on tap and by the bottle. Menu choices include options to please the young and the old, the adventurous and the picky eaters, and anyone who enjoys delicious fresh food at reasonable prices. We also offer a full bar with extensive wine and cocktail choices.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I’m not what anyone I know would call a mathematician but I’ll tell you what, I can tell you about the square root of Hendersonville. Wife and I had made our second annual trip to Flat Rock/Hendersonville to give our soon to be fourteen, healthy Golden Retriever Lucy, a promised vacation that includes a dip in the stream at Hooker Falls in the DuPont Forest nearby. The trip is for Lucy because we love her so and pray that she be healthy and live for a long time. We coax her to do so by making a deal to return to DuPont the following year as long as she is – she did it this year and we are praying for next year.
Aside from our Lucy promise we like the area for its friendly people, beautiful environment and climate and the multitude of restaurant choices. This year we included The Square Root restaurant that is located in downtown Hendersonville on Main Street. As with many restaurants in town, the SR has sidewalk dining. The personnel are very good and in particular we had a waitress named Carly. She was helpful and efficient and very personable.
The menu at SR is very eclectic and brave. We had lunch and its menu included a large variety of dishes from curried lamb meatballs to salmon. My wife decided on the eggplant club and I on the fish tacos. We started by sharing an order of fried green tomatoes.
My wife’s eggplant club was very unique and delicious. It’s described in the menu as being Portobello Mushrooms, Pesto, Roasted Red Peppers, Feta Cheese and Mixed Greens sandwiched between Breaded Eggplant Cutlets. That’s exactly what it is but what isn’t described is the thin slices that make it work. The eggplant is sliced very thin and yet substantial enough to be crispy and supportive of the rest of the ingredients. The filling is thin sliced as well but it all stacks up to about three to four inches of delicious flavor and texture.
Wanting something light I had the fish tacos that turned out to be very filling and very delicious. Menu describes them as being Fried Swai in a Blue Corn Tortilla with Shredded Cabbage, Jasmine Rice, Black Beans and Cheddar Cheese, topped with Salsa and Sour Cream. Swai is a flaky white flesh fish very mild in taste. The SR breads theirs and fries them to a crispy finish. The fish is almost too big to fit in the taco that is small but wonderfully corny tasting. The black beans are a fit with the taco but they were a bit runny and as careful as I was trying to be (even in a food frenzy) a couple found their way to my shirt – I didn’t care – simply delicious. They were served with a side that was a combination of carrots and parsnips that were suspiciously square in shape!
The fried green tomatoes were very good also. Nice crispy outside with the warm tart inside spiced a little warm and served with a creamy Dijon sauce.
We loved it. My wife is just short of being an eggplant fanatic and she was gaga over her club. Service was great, I liked my fish tacos and the outdoor seating was perfect. The SR gets a big yes from us.

3  Thank aging_nicely

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have dined at Square Root a number of times since it opened last fall, the latest was on Sunday of Labor Day week-end with guest in town for the Apple Festival. All of our meals were very good. We had the Fish Tacos, the Oyster Po Boy, Fried Green Tomato Sandwich and a Hamburger. We have not had a bad experience at Square Root and we are surprised at some of the negative comments. At times the service could be better, but we pass those times off to their being busy or staff inexperience. We will continue to patronize Square Root and hope that they are around for a long time

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This used to be our "go to restaurant" for fine dining in Hendersonville since they opened last fall. Since that time the menu has stagnated and more importantly the service has become terrible. The owner is the chef and he has lost control over the quality of his wait staff.

1  Thank Phil D
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by the owners of our old summer camp who live here half the year. It was just right for five women looking for a nice lunch place but even a hearty eater would be fine here. We had a hard time choosing what to eat. My rare tuna salad was good, though a bit light compared to the other salads my friends were eating. I should have had a soup, too. My friend, who had lived in New Orleans said the gumbo wasn't really a gumbo but just a chicken soup. Everyone seemed happy. The service is friendly and fairly efficient.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Square Root offers a diverse menu for travellers looking for something a little different. I chose the Chicken Tikka Kabobs (Tandori spiced chicken with tomato Tsatziki, Mediterranean orange mint and peanut cous cous with a slice of grilled naan.) The chicken was good, but nothing I could not prepare in my own kitchen. I did not discern either peanuts or even peanut flavor in the cous cous nor could I discern any "orange mint." Perhaps those ingredients were there - if so I should have been able to at least get a hint of their flavor. My husband had the pan seared sea scallops served over wild mushroom risotto and topped with a tomato, bacon and red onion succotash. He thought the dish was excellent. Both dishes came with a small side salad that was fresh but ordinary. Hot tea was incredibly expensive - after all it was only a cup of hot water and a tea bag. I understand the menu changes about three times a year so I will give it another go trying a different dish the next time.