“Great Youth Group Day Trip!!”
Review of Moonshine Mountain

Moonshine Mountain
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Spartanburg, South Carolina
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great Youth Group Day Trip!!”
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I read several of the reviews and I was prepared for the worst. Honestly, I don't see what everyone's problem with this place is. I was terrified of the ride and the workers at the top were so friendly and cordial. They made conversation as we waited and were really great! The slopes are dangerous, but here's thing, that's how snow tubing is! It's dangerous! It's not crazy dangerous, but it's not like you're reading a book either.

The porta potties were clean when we were there. We got there on a Sunday just as they opened and paid $20 for a two hour ticket. Non group rate is $25. Believe me two hours was plenty! Even with a crowd we tubed about 6 times. I rode up the mountain, but some of the kids climbed instead and probably rode down a few more times than the adults.

The decor all around is pretty cool and there are two very sweet labs there. One wants you to play fetch while waiting in line and the kids loved that!!

I know that we'll be going back! Thanks so much to the AWESOME staff! Seriously, they really made it a great trip!

1 Thank KristinGautam

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Pre-children, I probably would've loved this place.”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

As a parent, I won't be returning. Even the lack of well-equipped bathrooms wasn't really a major problem, because you're there for a limited time. However, it's really just an unsafe place. The "bridge" has a limit of 5 people, with no attendant to enforce the rule. Plus, the limit needs to be weight based. Are they talking about a family of 5, with little kids, or 5 adults?

Then, if you want any chance of tubing more than a couple of times, you'll bypass the lift and walk up the hill. That is, until you start the trek and realize you're leading your kids onto an ice slick, while carrying a heavy tube.

When you arrive at the bottom of the tubing run, it's a literal run for life, to avoid being clobbered by a "train" of 8+ people, in tubes hooked together by wrapping their legs around the person in front of them. These "trains" get quite a bit of momentum and they careen up an embankment, narrowly missing trees and then slide back down the embankment, onto whomever hasn't moved out of the way quickly enough.

Just FYI: My husband's an attorney and the many, many signs warning visitors about risk of injury or death, don't really matter. They're still liable if you're hurt, or worse. A lawsuit will probably close this place down at some point. Unfortunately, an innocent person will suffer.

Great family concept, but needs to be run the right way. Right now, it's a tragedy waiting to occur.

Visited February 2014
9 Thank Maisygirl3
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Try Moonshine Mountain For Yourself”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My family, friends, and I decided to give Moonshine Mountain a try despite some of the bad reviews on this site, and we were not disappointed. We arrived at 6:45 p.m. and waited for about 30 minutes for our group of fifteen to get started. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the tubing runs were lots of fun. Despite the crowd, we each went down the hill at least seven times in our two hours there.

Summerfield, North Carolina
132 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“We had a great time!”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Went here recently with our two girls. We had a blast.
There are 3 tubing trails and a couple of them you catch some air.
The guys working here are nice and look out for everyone safety.
I would not call them unorganized. You get there, pay and they give you a tag for your jacket that has your quit time on it. There is a clock near the tow where you can keep an eye on the time.
They cannot control the wait time (but they could limit the number of people they let in at a given time to cut the wait) Also if you don't want to wait for the tow, you can always walk up. My recommendation is to be there when they open for less of a wait.
This place is eclectic with cool things they have collected all around and a nice built in fire pit
My girl took their bike helmets and we wore layers to keep warm.
Price is $25 for 2 hours.

1 Thank Abycats
Asheville, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fast awesome great people”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Went there with family there was a wait but anywhere you go that is fun you wait they had a jump slide to kill some time for the kids as I watched other people flying down the hill we waited 2 hrs to tube wasn't sure how many times we were gonna ride but walking up I know I road 18 plus times that is was worth the wait all employee's where so helpful not sure how the man that hands out tubes does that job we plan on going back before there season is over didn't realize all those people didn't have a job on a not so important holiday good times

2 Thank rosceo