“Hands Down Best in the Western North Carolina and Beyond!!”

Flat Rock Wood Room
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pizza, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hickory, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hands Down Best in the Western North Carolina and Beyond!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

What a place! Flat Rock Wood Room servers three of my favorite things in the world, under one roof. BBQ, wood fired pizzas, and fine craft beers. I'm sure I have missed other things but I get tunnel vision when I go their. We come every chance we are in the area. They have the real deal BBQ, no gas or electric cooker here. They are cooking BBQ like it should be done, with wood and love! I had the pleasure of meeting the owners Kim and Wayne. Not only do they cook the food along with their staff(well trained staff) they run the front of the house too. I found out Kim and Wayne, on their days off do nothing else but what, cook BBQ. They travel the south cooking BBQ competition, and they have the awards on the restaurant's mantel to prove it. Like I said "the real deal" . If you can get past the BBQ, the pizza is something else. Brussels sprouts and pancetta pie is my favorite! If Brussels sprouts are not you thing Wayne is making some of the finest cured meat to top his pies this side of Italy. Their taps are pouring some of the finest craft beers the area offers. Western NC is making some of the finest craft beers in the country, and that's right they are pouring them.

1 Thank Thomas R

Nashville, Tennessee
“A decent dining experience in a small town”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

It's rare to find unique restaurants with excellent food when you venture from a big city to a small town. We use trip advisor to locate decent local spots. This place came well recommended. My colleague and I both had pizza which is woodfired. It was tasty but could have done with another few minutes in the oven. We shared an appetizer of fried green beans which were awful. The batter was thick and didnt taste nice. The patio dining was enjoyable as it was pleasant weather.

• Visited July 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastically wonderful, best BBQ and pizza, with AMAZING service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stopped by Flat Rock Wood Room after an afternoon of waterfall hiking. Thank you, iMaps!!! The four of us shared four different meals from White pizza with garlic and mozzarella to ribs, the extreme BBQ sampler and. Caesar Salad. EVERYTHING was to die for!! Plus, these people make their own sauces and have won many prizes for their BBQ and sauces. Our favorites were the Sweet, Mustard, the Spicy and a new one, smoked Jalapeño.. Yum!!!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Lindadayj
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Quality Ribs, Good Kids Menu, Good Atmosphere and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Visited this restaurant based on TripAdvisor rating. Called ahead for a porch reservation as advised - nice porch, set well back from the road (see pics). Friendly staff, rounded menu, with pizza, ribs, chicken, brisket and catfish.
Kids "squealers" menu was $5.99 - choice of catfish (pic), ribs (pic), pulled pork sandwich or chicken tenders plus cornbread, one side and a drink. Micro brewery local brews on tap. $5 to $8 wine.
Food was well presented, cornbread melted in our mouthes, the meat fell off the rib bones and my husband enjoyed the brisket. Kids said the mac and cheese side was yummy, so too were my sweet potatoes fries. Very satisfied. Will return if in Hendersonville again!
If you like bar-b-que ... give this restaurant a try!

2 Thank Amanda R
The Villages, Florida
“Wood Room Excellent Q”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Absolute best dry rubbed ribs I ever had. Great sauces to accompany them, but not necessary. Great beans and slaw. Wife had pulled pork dinner which was way above average. Usually you need to add sauces to it to bring out the flavor of the pork, but not here.
While I was looking over the trophies he had won in q competitions, the owner and I had a great discussion about how to prepare good q. Afterward, he came to our table and gave me more tips because I like t bbq also.
Great service, friendly staff, excellent food. What more can you say!! We would come back if ever I've the area again.

2 Thank Frank F