“dinner...after a great lunch”

Flat Rock Wood Room
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pizza, Barbecue
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Laurel Park
“dinner...after a great lunch”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Returned to this restaurant for dinner having had a very good lunch experience a week or so earlier. Dinner: not so good. The mac & cheese is a penne pasta with a rather bland, watery sauce, which was served cool; that definitely needs the chef's overhaul. The green beans, which for our prior lunch, had been so tasty were not of the same standard, taste, flavor. The version served at dinner were over-garlicky and lacking in the spicy, seasoned flavoring that had set them apart during the lunch-visit.

The meat was good, but nothing over & above.

Our waitress was most pleasant, but it is always rather off-putting when one orders dinner and two plates of food are literally placed in front of you, not five minutes later! It felt rather like all the food had just been sitting, buffet-style, in the kitchen rather than 'cooked to order'. (Probably explains why the mac&cheese was all but cold when served.)

The one consistent element is the BBQ sauces, both range and flavors are excellent.

So, would we return? yes, but we hope to see some improvement - and consistency - with the food, in particular the side dishes.

Ambience-wise, the restaurant was busy and the atmosphere was good though could have been improved with some gentle background music. Nothing to blare out conversation, but something to soothe the echo of wooden floors & high ceilings.

I am writing this review in the hope the restaurant will read and take note, rather than to deter customers. This establishment has the right idea and it really is worth visiting for the BBQ sauces alone....just stick with the pulled pork/chicken (which we had at lunch) if you want a fall-safe dining experience.

• Visited December 2012

Laurel Park, North Carolina
“Really, really good bar-b-que!!”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Had a great lunch! Bar-b-que sauces are EXCELLENT!! The restaurant is decorated in a very comfortable manner. The owners are very committed to providing to their customers. Large menu that will suit all. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Dan M
“Great Food / Highly Recommend”
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant has the most tender meat & taste absolutely wonderful. Have been there several times & have tried a lot of different items on the menu & have never been disappointed. Also has a great selection of beers. Service has most of the time been excellent. Would highly recommend this restaurant.

2 Thank ytrap
Fenton, Michigan
“AWESOME AGAIN!!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Went back again this weekend with 3 friends. It's been a few months so I was anxious to see how everything was going. All I can say is ribs, pizza and burger were ordered and everyone loved everything. I recently spent a couple weeks in Italy and the Wood Rooms crust is just like I had over there - thank you for doing that light crust around here!!

2 Thank GlobalTraveler1962
“We didn't enjoy our meal here at all”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My Dad took my husband and I here for my husband's birthday. We found the restaurant to have a very cold atmosphere - it was cold outside and cold inside - not inviting at all! Thought the pizza crust was very tough that my husband had. I had a sandwich made with pizza crust and honestly it was almost all pizza crust - the veggies inside were sparse - it was supposed to have eggplant in the sandwich and I found one single super thin slice of eggplant! My Dad and his significant other ordered hamburgers which honestly, we thought there was more bread than meat.

I wouldn't recommend this restaurant and we won't go back there again.

• Visited November 2012