Travels in Wine Day Tours - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Poor communication, good wineries, not a good value

Reviewed June 8, 2014
TravelSouthernQueen
Asheville, North Carolina
Frustrating and Disappointing Experience

Reviewed March 15, 2014
RimeIce
Hendersonville, NC

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This company is very frustrating to communicate with. They list a phone number on their website but they don't answer the phone and their message says the don't accept voice mail messages and that you must email them.

However, I went on the tour and thought it was fun. The two wineries they took us to were picturesque and the wines were pretty darn good (especially at Parker-Binns).

The tour didn't provide a chocolate tasting at the Poe House, although they advertise that they do. They also didn't provide a "guided behind the scenes visit". Basically, you just do the wine tasting and you can walk around the grounds like any other guest. The chauffeur service is a big white van so don't think you are getting a limo.

The dinner they provide is a $10 plate from Moe's Barbecue. The tour included the tastings which would cost you $7 each at the 2 wineries. They provide tiny muffins, strawberries and small yogurt cups with mimosas before you begin the tour.

I suggest that you bring your own sandwich or boxed lunch because they don't provide one and you will get hungry and need something to soak up all that alcohol. They provide cheese, strawberries and pita chips for snacks at the first winery but it's not enough to get you through the day.

It seems a little pricey for what you get, especially when you factor in the tip. As long as you don't drink too much, I recommend doing the trip on your own.

1  Thank TravelSouthernQueen
Reviewed March 15, 2014

The other recent reviews pretty much describe our experience---this company was unresponsive to phone calls, e-mails, and even in-person visits in our five months of trying to schedule a tour. A date was finally booked, but then we found it had been cancelled when we attempted to confirm it a few days before the tour. We never were notified of the cancellation and they declined to meet with us to coordinate a new tour date. We have requested credit from Groupon.

4  Thank RimeIce
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I had gotten a Groupon for this tour an waited until the fall to go. There is no way but email to contact this company and they do not respond in a timely manner, if you're lucky to get a response at all. My tour was scheduled for October but was cancelled due to the tour guides family emergency. We rescheduled and went on the tour. No information was given about where to meet or what time to meet. We read the prior reviews and went on the tour with an open mind. Despite the foggy weather we attempted to enjoy ourselves. Our guide/sommelier was of no help and barely provided information. The food provided was minimal. The can was cramped and uncomfortable. On the ride home it was mentioned by other couples that they also had significant trouble contacting the company and scheduling their tours and getting questions answered.
To top it off, the wineries seemed to rush us through the tastings and out the door. I've been to numerous wine tastings and have never felt rushed or unwelcome. This has been a severely disappointing experience. I would never recommend this company.

2  Thank MNatashaS
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Our Wine Tour was OK however, Kimberlee has the worse customer service skills! She started a Wine Club in Charlotte, NC. She took our club membership dues and then abruptly step down as the Club Organizer! We never received any refunds or any further communication.

Please avoid Kimberlee Young, Travels in Wine, The Poe House and any of her other businesses!

3  Thank Eboni M
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband bought me a wine tour from this group via LivingSocial in May 2013 for mothers day. It is now nearly November, and we have had ZERO customer service. My husband has called, only to be redirected to an email which is never monitored. He has tried countless number of times to get a hold of them and to no avail. After 4 months, he finally heard back that the date we requested was "now full", which is somewhat ironic, given I don't know how they fill a tour when they don't respond to anyone.

Ridiculous. Do not book with them - EVER. We will be requesting our money back from Living Social and hope they are easier to deal with than Travels in Wine. We think attempting for 5 months to book ONE tour merits a refund.

4  Thank Kris B
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I have been waiting until the fall to use a Groupon for Travels in Wine, and when I tried to schedule an appointment, by the phone # provided, it goes to a phone that is never answered and cant leave a message. You then are directed to an email, which never gets responded too. Finally after a month, I called Groupon and they recommended us to let them contact them and they will get back to you within 48 hours. Guess what? We NEVER heard from them! Im calling Groupon today and they said they will give a refund, but hopefully it is a real refund, not just a Groupon credit!

2  Thank Chris K
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I got the Groupon last April and called and left numerous messages in order to schedule. The only way I got a response is by sending a request form for a large party then once they emailed me back I noted I had the groupon for 2 people. I scheduled 3 months later because they were too busy and after all of that i was cancelled on less than a 24 hour notice. Don't waste your money or time! I had to correspond for over a week to get a refund in the form of a groupon credit and noticed they not only have the offer for groupon but also living social. No idea how they will handle the volume!

1  Thank Darby C
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This company is so difficult to communicate with. Left several message and emails. Only after calling Living Social to complain that we couldn't use our vouchers did the company respond and book a tour for 2 months later. THEN THEY CANCELLED ON US 2 DAYS BEFORE OUR SCHEDULED TOUR!!! We were trying to be understanding and give them another chance and booked again for 2 1/2 months later. Two weeks before our tour, we emailed to confirm that the tour was still on and didn't hear back for 10 days. We called, too, but there was no answer and no option to leave a message. Four days before our tour, we finally got an email confirming our tour and then the evening before our tour, THEY CANCELLED ON US AGAIN! I'm usually very understanding of small business owners and the difficulties that can come up but this company doesn't even try!

1  Thank Kostantina56
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I purchased a groupon months ago and it expires this month so I have been trying to schedule with them for over a week with absolutely no response from them via phone or email!!! I've sent three emails and called numerous times. There is no one to ever answer the phone and all inquiries are directed to email which is obviously never answered either. Awful customer service and business!

1  Thank CBGil
Reviewed October 6, 2013

It should have been an omen when I was emailing Kimberlee, the liaison, I was told that they had room for my husband and I for a private tour and that I needed to book ASAP and in the next email she acted like we had never communicated at all and that the dates I had given her in the first email had no private tours. After emailing her twice more and then calling, I was finally able to book a wine tour for Oct 2. This was a month earlier. My husband and I planned the rest of our trip accordingly and specifically booked a hotel in Asheville the night before the tour. On our drive up I received an email from Kimberlee stating that our tour had been cancelled due to scheduling conflicts. I was shocked that this was only discovered the day before, so I called.... Conveniently they were closed on Monday and had no "on call" line. I sent Kimberlee an email explaining how unprofessional canceling via email was the day before a trip that had been planned for a month! I still have not received an apology email or call. I would never recommend this company.

3  Thank Kennah B