“Great tour but wine was disappointing”
Review of Travels in Wine Day Tours - CLOSED

Travels in Wine Day Tours
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I will begin this review by saying I do not consider myself a wine connoisseur, but I do love wine and I have been to multiple vineyards, wineries, classes, and wine tours. My husband and I even travelled to Chile earlier this year and spent seven days tours vineyards and wineries in the Santiago area.

Paul was our tour guide and while not overly engaged he was a kind and thoughtful host. We actually began our tour at his winery, Falderal, and frankly he had the best wine of any that we tasted. He offered a very unique creation that he calls Planchette White that is mild and has a citrus flavor. I think it would be an excellent wine to serve with brunch if mimosas are not on the menu. We brought home a bottle.

After we left Falderal, we headed out to the countryside to see the rest of the vineyards and wineries. The drive was beautiful. Afterall, it was October in the North Carolina mountains. The vineyards were spectacular, but the wine left much to be desired. Sadly there were few to no buckets to dump out samples that were unpleasant. I found myself chugging down samples and quickly following them with water to rinse away the taste. It brought back many unhappy childhood memories of choking down medicine. Instead of focusing on the poor wine though, we focused our attention on the gorgeous weather we were enjoying and the fun people we met on the trip. We ended the day with pleasant memories but only one bottle of wine to take home.

I can say I will not be participating in anymore wine tours of North Carolina, but I'm glad that we took the trip. Otherwise I may always wonder if I missed out on the opportunity to experience great wine from my own backyard! Now I know and I know to avoid North Carolina wine as it does not suite my taste.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

There were 6 of us that had signed up for the Halloween wine tour. We were greeted by a lovely and friendly Kimberlee who entertained us thruogh the evening - with facts and a few ghosts stories. Each of the wineries we visited were unique in their presentations and wine tasting venues - all were Great! The wine was wonderful - with some very unique flavors. We finished with a bon fire at Over Mountain Wineries. All in all, we had a wonderful experience and will DEFINITELY do this again. Thanks to all who made it a "BOO"-tiful evening!

2  Thank TripAdviso54259
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The tour out of Hendersonville is well planned and very well executed. If you like wine and learning about how to make it, start a winery, start a vineyard, where to buy grapes, where to sell you grapes, etc....this is the tour for you. We began in Hendersonville and made our way all over the mountains of NC. It was a beautiful day and we thoroughly enjoyed the tour and the people on the tour. The wines were tasty, many varietals to select from, the winery owners were characters each with a different personality....lunch was great and it was overall a truly relaxing, enjoyable, memorable day. Highly, highly recommend this tour! Look for coupons on Groupon and Living Social. They are having a special Ghost Tour now...which is really cool for the season. Bring some friends and be prepared to have an absolutely wonderful time!

1  Thank GVL605
Reviewed September 23, 2012

It was a great tour! Very well done...easy going pace, beautiful wineries, great people! Would definitely do it again! Thanks again Kimberlee!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 23, 2012

A reunion group of 13 women booked their winery tour. They picked us up at the house in which we were staying and took us to 4 very different wineries. They were all about taking care of their customers. If we bought a bottle of wine, they took care of boxing and keeping up with our individual purchases. I had never done a winery tour before. It was great fun and they took out the intimidation factor for me. It's a safe and fun way to experience the wine country. Enjoy and leave the driving to them!!

1  Thank Teresa S