“Best part of our North Carolina vacation”

Elijah Mountain Gem Mine
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Elijah Mountain Gem Mine in Hendersonville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Warm indoor mining open every winter day. At Elijah Mountain Gem Mine, in Hendersonville, NC, you become a prospector from the 1800's and mine for real gem stones that you can keep! Gems that are found daily include Rubys, Sapphires, Emeralds, Quartz crystals, Citrine, Amethyst, Garnets, Adventurine, Sodalite, Opal, Fluorite, Aquamarine and many more! Our flumes are covered for your comfort and for rain or shine mining! You can even bring a picnic and relax at one of our picnic tables or by the creek! During colder months we have INDOOR mining too!Our Rock Shop is the best around and no one can beat our prices! Also, come pet our baby goats!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Stroller parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Elijah Mountain Gem Mine was the highlight of our kids trip to North Carolina. We arrived mid afternoon and were told that they would stay open as late as we needed them to. The staff was very kind and helped us decide what was best for our family. The outdoor mine was close but they had sleuces inside which was much better because of the weather. We found three ziplock bags full of semi-precious gems which they identified for us.Their rock shop was also very interesting and the prices were great. If you like finding treasure, this is a great place to start!

3  Thank patricia s
in 17 reviews
"kids love"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed January 26, 2013

After seeing a brochure at our hotel and calling and listening to a recording to verify operating times, we packed up our two kids and excitedly headed to Elijah Mountain Gem Mine. We were soon joined by another couple, then a family with several children. We all wandered the parking lot, peering in the windows of the building, calling the phone number repeatedly, but no one ever showed up! On the answering machine was an additional number to call to speak to a "live" person. This was yet another recording, with an invitation to text. I did text but one week later have still not recieved a response! Huge disappointment and waste of time on a short weekend getaway. What a terrible way to run a business.

5  Thank twofratgirls
Dean C, Owner at Elijah Mountain Gem Mine, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

We are very sorry that our employee was late on Sunday. Once we realized there was an issue we came right away and took care of everyone. Please return for free mining next time! Our goal is 100% happiness! We are open every day.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

It was warm weather and we decided to go to Elijah Mtn. for the afternoon. They have different size buckets, with different rocks - you can get ones focused on fossils or gems, or more precious gems such as rubies/sapphires/emeralds. We got 2 large "prospector" size regualr gem buckets, which took my little girl some time to get through - she loves digging in the sandbox, and pretty rocks so this was a great activity for her which combined both. It was fun for me, too, and a bit hard to let her do all the digging and sorting.
The gift shop is huge, and amazing. Between the gemstones and fossils, one could spend some time just walking around the store. There is also a koi fish pond inside which caught her interest as I looked around. I bought a nice fossil for a great price to give as a present. I think I will go back and buy a few for teachers to use as paperweights (fossils, geodes or large interesting rocks such as "desert rose") for teacher appreciation day.
JOE was very helpful as he patiently identified the rocks for us, and was very knowledgeable. He also "caught" a rock for us when my daughter knocked it into the flume, preventing a small "crisis" from her. We also met ELIJAH (yes, it's name after him!), a very nice young man behind the counter who was also very nice and patient with my daughter going around and touching and asking questions about everything.
The location is also good for us as it's only about a 40 minute drive from Asheville, versus much further to the other gem mines in WNC - if anyone has ever driven in a car with a toddler who doesn't sleep, you know how any drive over an hour is near impossible. Overall, a great experience, and plan on returning again!

5  Thank Demitechnic
Reviewed January 5, 2013

A lot of fun to go to! I got a lot of "goodies" out of the bucket I bought. To be a 35 year old, I think I had more fun then the children I was with! The staff was fun and helpful. Not to mention the store was neat to check out.

2  Thank netuggle77