“excellent every time”

Stepp's Hillcrest Orchard
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Great every time I've been. From August to October always fruit available. Every fall for the last 10 years I try and stop by if in the area. Keep up the good work. Even a food truck there the last time I went. Easy trip from Asheville.

1  Thank Erin N
"beautiful weather"
"country store"
"in season"
in 3 reviews
"staff is very friendly and helpful"
"nice folks"

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We were staying in Asheville and decided to take a day and do some apple picking! We had researched Stepps Farm on trip advisor and were impressed with all the good comments and so off we headed. It was very easy to find and very easy to park. Not only do they have row after row of apple trees but the farm-store was very impressive. We had lunch there as well as taking the hay ride (which was also very fun!).

We would recommend this to anyone looking for a relaxing day out (with or without children). We will visit again!

(oh and did I mention the apples were GREAT!)

1  Thank J P
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We just went this past weekend, 11/02, thought it was too late but had plenty of varieties to pick. Really nice folks. Orchard laid out nicely & labeled with map. You can drive your vehicle up the hills & down the aisles. We picked mutsu, fuji, cameo, pink lady, Arkansas black, Granny Smith. All were sweet & juicy. They provided baskets & boxes @ $20 per bushel. You can't go wrong with Stepp farm. We will return next season. We made apple juice with juice extractor & our kids thought we added sugar. It was so sweet, even when diluted in ice. Fresh apples off the trees make apples from groceries like immations. We love Hendersonville, one of the best bakery The Underground Baking Co.

2  Thank DoMeister
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife had us drive home from Asheville a few hours early so we could make sure to check out the Stepp Orchard because she'd found their nice website and good reviews. Unfortunately, when we arrived we found few signs of life other than two older ladies behind the counter speaking with an acquaintance. When we walked in one of them offered assistance, but we just wanted to get the lay of the land first.

We circled the small rustic shop and chose some cider, a jar of pumpkin butter, and were considering actually picking some apples when I spotted some intriguing sorghum. I'm from Kentucky and grew up with this so I decided to inquire about a sample (some sorghum is good, some sorghum is not so good). My wife and I stood at the counter approximately 6 feet from the closest employee and she never glanced over at us. The other lady was making small signs and both were chatting with the family friend on our side of the counter. After more than a minute it was clear that there was no business taking place so I asked if I could be helped. They continued their conversation but eventually came up for air so that I could ask about the sample. One of the ladies explained that they had samples of all other items, but not the sorghum.

Here's the thing. The sorghum was not a local product. So I I totally get why they didn't have samples available. It was the sternness of the response that bothered me. I didn't feel any caring and I really felt that they'd rather be talking amongst themselves more than to take the $25 I was hoping to spend.

We looked around at a handful of sloppy scarecrows and a painted hay roll and it almost looked like an abandoned orchard. There certainly was no hint outside the shop that the place was open. I wasn't in the mood to purchase my original choices at that point so we drove down the road and ended up having a far better hour at the nearby Justus Orchard.

3  Thank Campbell72
See more reviews
Reviewed October 16, 2013

After searching through all of the apple picking options available in Hendersonville, we landed on JH Stepp Farm's Hillcrest Orchard because of the wide selection of apple varieties on their 70 acre farm.

Even in the midst of a busy Saturday afternoon in the peak season, their staff was friendly and available in assisting us with choosing basket sizes, determining where to start picking, and even letting us sample an entire apple to see if we liked that variety.

The farmland is gorgeous, with rolling pastures and not-so-shy Jersey cows that will happily eat entire apples out of your hand. The rows of trees are endless and you could (happily) get lost in a row all to yourself, but a detailed map is provided for those who prefer to be a little more oriented. On the second weekend of October, nearly all of the trees were filled with apples with the exception of Granny Smiths that had yet to bloom. The farm staff invites you to pick an apple off the tree, take a bite, and determine if that variety is a keeper. Little red wagons are available for kids to ride in or for transport of apples (read: the baskets get HEAVY). Cars are also allowed between rows, but if walking is doable for you, then I highly recommend it.

The prices are great and fair; we got nearly 15 pounds of apples for less than $1/pound- a price that can't be beat at any grocery store.

Plan to spend upwards of two hours here and definitely bring your camera. Visit the country store afterwards for all things apple, including fresh pressed cider. Picnic tables are available near the main parking lot. Very kid and family friendly.