“Definitely a find.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hendersonville
Cottages of Flat Rock
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We, too, have returned to The Cottages at Flat Rock several times after discovering this site several years ago. And each time we return to the area, this is where we choose to stay. We have now stayed in three different cottages and while pretty comparable, they are each slightly different in small ways. In comparison to other cottages or cabins in the area, these far exceed and improve upon those small, nearly primitive offerings. The screened-in porches in particular both expand the living areas and provide additional comfortable bug-free space to sit, rock, read, visit, or just listen to the birds. In July the owners brought a basket of fresh peaches to enjoy.
My only concerns are the faint gas smell apparently leaking from a heater which we did not use and the somewhat tired linens in the bedroom. But we had the windows open so were not too concerned about the heater. The linens, however, did not quite fit the mattress and the fitted sheet kept coming loose during the night. Nevertheless, if our travel plans bring us back to this area, we will definitely consider staying here once again.
Travel tip: If you are arriving using the map on the website or the brochure provided by the proprietors, know that the exits and the street routes are not accurate as presented. Use MapQuest or your GPS to get there without the hassle of getting lost.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Ladyvol
There are newer reviews for Cottages of Flat Rock

Reviewed April 3, 2013

First, the good news. The outside photos are representative of this pleasant property on the outskirts of a fun town. The cottages are vintage but reasonably well maintained. At least one person on the staff is genuinely concerned about the guests' experience while there.
Now, our stay: We booked in January, requesting a specific cabin, and received verbal and written assurances that we were booked into it. We paid 50% of the three day stay in advance. The morning of our scheduled arrival, highway I-40 experienced 4-8" of snow in themountains. With a bit of pushing on my part the staff agreed to defer our stay by a day. (I had to probe to find out that the subsequent day was unbooked.)
On arrival, we got the 30 second "Give us the balance, the keys are in the door" greeting and were sent to a different cabin than we had booked. My wife went back to the office and was told the guest in "our" cabin had extended their stay. No explanation offered upfront, no apology.
In the cabin, we encountered a gas smell and a raucous unvented gas heater. (At least two other reviews mention the noise. I suspect that some of the musty comments are related.) The fan never stopped running, as long as you followed the instructions not to turn it below the pilot setting. No mention of the electric baseboard heat in the bedroom, that might have spared us from the "heater that doth murder sleep". My wife got about two hours sleep and had a scratchy throat the next day. We left at 8 AM, before the office opened at 9, since we had little hope of getting a refund. (See their cancellation policy)
We called from the road around 11 to tell them we wouldn't be back and they could rent it to someone else. We received a half hearted "Sorry it didn't work for you."
So we were very surprised when Tim called two hours later, apologized and wanted to make our experience it right. We were already most of the way back to our home base so we declined, but he did insist on returning the second check for 50% plus taxes and offered a night's stay gratis.
Tim said that some heaters are more noisy than others. As those heaters fail, they are being replaced by "a different type". If you want to stay here during heating season, I recommend you insist on the "different type". I also suggest you inspect your cabin before you pay the balance of your stay. Any problems, insist on talking to Tim. He's the only one we encountered there who seemed to care about the guests.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Don R
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Husband and I first discovered these lovely little cottages several years ago when we visited for an anniversary weekend and fell in love with the location. We have returned several times since then -- in different seasons -- and have always enjoyed our trip. We like to stay in the same cottage for sentimental reasons, but have also stayed in others.

Furnishings were comfortable, TV and DVD player suited us fine, Internet connection worked once we found the access code. We did have to get used to the wall-mounted gas heater during our winter visit -- took some practice to get it regulated and bedroom was still a little chilly, but then we are used to a modern HVAC system at home. During spring and summer we love the flowers and screened porch with rockers.

I guess if these cottages were at the beach, they might be called shabby chic, but to us they were nostalgic and cozy. Not fancy -- you might even be tempted to put your stocking feet on the coffee table, but that "at home" feeling is part of the charm.

All in all, we found the cottages to be clean and comfortable -- I even recall lavendar-scented bed linens. The owners and on-site manager have always been responsive and gracious. All of this and affordable rates means that we will continue to be return customers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank bwodom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just got home from a two day stay at the Cottages of Flat Rock, and this was our first visit. My husband must have used the word, quaint a dozen times, but I say it was very cozy. If you're looking for quaint, and cozy, this is a very special place to stay. No, it wasn't Perfectly clean, but is YOUR house. So those who made remarks of it being dirty are incorrect. If you've ever stayed in a log cabin, or cottages, you are going to find some musty odors, especially in older ones. But you can walk into the best hotel room and get the same thing. When air isn't moving the air can get stale. Well guess what? When we got home after a week away, our house had a stale odor until we turned on fans, and opened a couple of window. So my point is, this was a very clean, charming, and cozy place to spend a couple of days for us. The price was good, and it was close to everything we had planned to see. So if you are too particular, then you best pay a bigger price for a high class hotel. However, you will miss the very charm that this place has to offer. Tim & Sylvia, the Hooks will return. You are exactly 2 hours traveling time from our home in SC. How great is that? Sorry I didn't spend more time getting to know you, but perhaps next time. Bonnie Hook.

Room Tip: Bring your breakfast and lunch items. The kitchen is a perfect size, and the refrig. is full size, b...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Bonnie H
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This review is several months late. My husband and I, and our furkid have stayed at the cottages numerous times over the past year. We started out in cabin 6, then moved around between the duplexes and one of the larger cottages. All the times spent we have greatly enjoyed ourselves. The cottages behind the creek are our favorites!

The first time we spent a week over the 4th of July, and it was HOT. Thought in the mountains it wasn't supposed to be like that, oh well. ALL of the cottages have a screened in porch and our critter loved all the squirrels, a little too much. There is a kitchen area, which we didn't cook other than to reheat our foods. Bring your own food, but there is silverware, glasses, cookware for use. We didn't feel like we had to be neat and tidy while we were there. Again, we were there for the relaxation - cooking isn't relaxing for me!

If you are foodies, like us, there are tons of locally owned restaurants to eat. There is a brick oven restaurant within walking distance of the property. Downtown Hendersonville is a great area. There is great little bakery (not open on Sundays) McFarlan's, that is super. Of all the times we have visited, I don't think we have repeated a restaurant that we've eaten at. Other than the bakery :-)

I think if you read this review, you need to make a reservation. The only bad thing is now, since we moved it will take us 4 hours to get to the area instead of two.

The proprietors of the Cottages have been very gracious to us, and our hectic schedules. We have had to reschedule our trips to the area on two different occasions and they have worked with us as best they could. We will be going again in November (after delaying our trip in June, because of moving).

So, if you are deciding whether to book a reservation, do it!!! Just have a couple of dates available for you to choose as many people are starting to realize this getaway!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank piratesfolly
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at the cottages August 5-12, 2012. I dropped my son off at Camp Our Time and then I checked into the cottage which was very clean and accommodating. There was a full kitchen with table and chair, coach, chair, bar stools, large bedroom and closet and spacious bathroom. The grounds were beautiful with several benches to sit and enjoy the surroundings. The porch had a full screen which it made it nice to sit and read, or just relax. I am from California so when I saw my first fireflies I lite up like a little girl. The cottages are located in a perfect area which made getting around easy. I met Julie, Pete, Tim and Tim Jr., all of whom were extremely nice. When I arrived I found out that the flat screen TV had to be replaced with a new one which was nice. I have never been to North Carolina, but I ever return I will stay at the cottages!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank CARMENC392
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We have stayed at the Cottages of Flat Rock many times over the years, sometimes as a couple in a one bedroom cottage, and other times with our adult children and grandchildren in the two bedroom cottage, plus other cottages for the various families. It is always clean, comfortable, well furnished and cheerfully decorated. The kitchens are well stocked and serviceable. The last time we were there from March 15 through April 24, and the cherry blossoms and other flowering trees and shrubs were amazingly beautiful. We love to eat on the screened-in front porch and enjoy the beauty of the trees and flowers. The owner and manager are always helpful, friendly and willing to provide whatever is needed. For longer stays, the laundromat with two washers and two dryers is helpful. In the back of the property they have a hen house and fenced in chicken yard. As a bonus they offer us fresh eggs. Our three year old granddaughter enjoyed visiting the hen house. This place is a treasure, and the only place we choose to stay in Hendersonville.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Jean042012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hendersonville
CedarWood Inn
#1 of 11 in Hendersonville
Mountain Lodge
Mountain Lodge
#2 of 5 in Flat Rock

Been to Cottages of Flat Rock? Share your experiences!