“Good food, average service”
Review of Mezzaluna

Mezzaluna
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
San Diego, California
“Good food, average service”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

My calzone was very tasty as was the soup. The waiter, bartender didn't seem to have much of a clue, but the place is very nice and clean and vibrant, the food is always very good and right in the heart of town. Income here very time I'm in tone and it never disappoints.

Visited August 2014

“Nice lunch meeting spot”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

The prices are a little above average. The food is good as is the service. Very quiet spot for a lunch meeting or date day. We had approximately 25 there for a retirement lunch and everything went great!

Visited June 2014
New Philadelphia, Ohio
“Great Place Downtown”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Great Italian-style restaurant. Server was very pleasant and helpful. Choices from pasta to pizza dishes. My children really liked the calzones (big enough to share one order).

Visited August 2014
Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Casual good dining”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

First time to visit Hendersonville/FlatRock area. Hotel staff recommended this restaurant and we were not disappointed. Very attentive, friendly staff including our server, Scott. He seemed aware that the ambient noise level make it difficult to hear his suggestions and had established a way of dealing with that. I had house salad and salmon entrée and my husband had an entree bib lettuce salad topped with shrimp House salad was generic but house dressing light and tasty. The salmon was well-prepared and the risotto was creamy and rich. My husband felt for the up charge there should have been a few more shrimp but the watermelon radish was a colorful, tasty ingredient.

• Visited August 2014
Flat Rock, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Recent Changes Not Good”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We used to love this place. One of our favorite appetizers was their bruschetta. My mother came from out of town and this was one of the places we had raved about to her. We were extremely disappointed to find they changed their bruschetta and it no longer has fresh mozzarella on it, just the same tomato and bread combination you find anywhere. We also always got their Creme Brulee for dessert and found that instead of it being the classic that we have always enjoyed that they changed it to a flavored version that was not good at all. We were sat on a table where the A/C vent kept dripping on us. Something that we used to think was great we now see as average so we have not been back.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank 66Karen48
Robert M, General Manager at Mezzaluna, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
66Karen48,

I see that you became a TripAdvisor member to write this complaint. Could you not have become a member when you loved Mezzaluna? I don't make it a practice to "Call Out" a guest that writes a review on the internet. I really like to use the feedback for coaching and growth for the staff and especially myself.

I will make an exception here. Your complaint is about change. The solution would have been communication. Your dislike of your experience is not a result of poorly executed food but about your dislike of change. For example, some would say that the most common version of Bruschetta in the U.S. has cheese, specifically mozzarella. We changed the bruschetta from a "combination" you find "anywhere" to be more consistent with the classic Italian version. We wanted authenticity and simplicity.

Our Creme Brulee is good. My taste buds, family, and random internet reviews tell me so. We wanted to offer some variety, so we change it up a bit. I want to make one with lavender. When you don't like an item we serve you, tell us. We will fix it or get you something you love. You certainly will not pay for it.

Did you tell anyone the vent was dripping on you? During the humid summer, metal vents with cold air flowing through them sometimes produce condensation. Had you said something we would easily have fixed it.

We have great food. You will find something you love on this menu. Keep in mind, though, that this menu will change over time. It helps us stay fresh, relevant.

Keep in mind also that as a restaurant reviewer you have an obligation to communicate in a timely fashion your great and subpar experiences in a constructive and balanced fashion. That will add credibility to your reviews.

Keep in mind that small businesses need to hear the positive. Don't be a squeaky wheel.

I hope that you will return. We will bend over backwards to walk you through the new menu. We will guide you to your next favorite menu item.

Robert Moore