“Amazing Sound of Music views”

Bearwallow Mountain
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed August 2, 2018

The 3/4 mile hike up was through woods and the trail was well marked and maintained. Some roots and rocks to step over but a relatively easy hike. I am 71 and had no problems. The meadow with cows and the serene view were great. I could see Mt Mitchell. The communication towers were not a distraction. The rocks to sit on and cool breeze made it a perfect place for a picnic to enjoy the view. No facilities are available. You can take the gravel service road down which is easier if desired.

1  Thank Davistravels
"tower"
"rocks"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed June 13, 2018

I have lived and worked within sight of Bearwallow for over
50 years, but had never been to the top. After my youngest
daughter went up the mountain on a school field trip, I was
spurred into action. I walked up the trail to the top and back
down the access road. I was pleasantly surprised at the
excellent trail condition because of recent record rainfall.
I enjoyed the cows being there as it reminded me of my
grandparents farm in Virginia. I walked 2.5 miles total and
took over 100 pictures. An excellent outing!!!

2  Thank John F
Reviewed June 6, 2018

It took some work to find the trail head (our fault as there are multiple Bearwallow roads). This address should work in your GPS and if in doubt, keeping climbing until you pass Grand Highlands subdivision - it is less than 1/2 mile from there. There is no separate parking lot - just parking along the side of the road. There are two separate trails at the trail head. Go through the gate by the port-a-john for Bearwallow Mountain. The trail is about 0.6 miles (one-way, 1.2 out and back on trail or 1.0 if you use the gravel road as a loop), fairly steep, but very well maintained. We met a cow munching in the woods on the way up. The top is a "bald" with a herd of cows. Almost Swiss Alps, but no cow bells. There is a 180 degree panoramic view. It is an amazing spot for sunset, There are some rocks that make a great sitting area to watch (even has a plaque in memorial to someone who loved this spot). We had an amazing sunset and walked down in the dusk - a highlight of our vacation in the area. I highly recommend!

3  Thank bmantravel
Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I arrived early Saturday morning to start our hike. It was a long drive up the curvy roads to the trailhead. Finally, we parked and started out hike up the trail. The hike was fairly easy but we did run into a couple spots with ice patches so we had to be careful. I would definitely recommend taking the trail up, then using the road to hike down. Made the hike very manageable.