“Great Food - Horrible, horrible, horrible service”

The Green Room Cafe And Coffee House
Cuisines: American, Healthy, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are a mom and pop operation. Sue Green is mom and Ben Green is pop and we offer classic breakfast items, custom sandwiches and salads for lunch, and steak, seafood, etc for dinner. Please join us for a semi-fine dining experience in a casual atmosphere.
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great Food - Horrible, horrible, horrible service”
Reviewed September 12, 2010

My Mom and I stopped into the Livingroom Coffeehouse and Cafe in Hendersonville during the 2010 Apple Festival. As you can imagine, most of the Main Street restraurants were filled with festival goers and extremely busy; however, the Livingroom did not have a line and conveniently had a table open up right when we walked in. That should have served as our first clue.

First, there are no signs indicating "Seat Yourself" or "Wait to be Seated". So, we stood at the front door a little clueless. Also, we had no less than 3 employees walk by and say hello, yet no one said the classic, "we'll be with you in just a moment". Finally, the Manager (? - use the term loosely) all but screamed at two ladies that walked in after us telling them that they did not have room, would not pull together tables, and they needed to come back later. I guess we made the cut because we were seated right after that delightful exchange.

We placed our orders which consisted of a club sandwich and the Main Street (basicaly cold cuts, cheese, and bread), and proceeded to wait. We again watched the pseduo-manager yell at potential patrons about not being able to help them, and a very unhappy server glummy walk up to tables (although she would yell at the ONE helpful server if she in any way poached one of her tables). Incidently, we are still waiting for our food a good 30 minutes after we've ordered it. Actually, a table of five ordered their food, received it, ate it, paid, and left before we ever saw anything.

What kills me the most is EVERYONE was running around fussing about how slammed they were. I have worked in food and bev in the past, and I feel I have a good grasp of what "slammed" really is. A max capacity of 12 tables total does not make for slammed circumstances.

Finally, after asked about our food a couple of times we receive it. The unfortunate part is, the food was actually really good. Had the rest of the experience been any better, I would have eaten there again.

Finally, as we are in the coffee line to pay (without a ticket because they either don't believe in them or they just never thought to bring ours), I overheard a lady complaining to her husband about her salad. She had ordered a roughly $10 salad that was supposed to come with a number of additions other than just lettuce and chicken (e.g., tomatoes, eggs, cucumbers, etc.). As she reads the ingredients to our good friend the manager, she is talked to as if she is a greedy child asking for a second helping of dessert. I applaud the patron for her restraint, as the manager's response was completely uncalled for. All the while, my Mom is trying to pay. She has to remind the cashier that we were supposed to receive 30% off (which is all the incomplete-salad diner received, despite the fact she was already entitled to that discount to begin with). It honestly took the cashier 2 minutes of pecking away on the calculator to determine what 30% might be off of a $20 ticket.

The absolute best part of the whole experience was the manager yelling at potential patrons that the kitchen was closed and they would reopen around 5 or 6. Hmmm, patrons= sales, sales = tips, tips = income for servers. Also, what do most restaurants do when they are closing for lunch to prep for dinner? They put up a sign to that effect, so the general public is aware. What did they do? Continue to yell.

My suggestion, save your time, money, and patience. Go to Hannah Flanigan's instead!

Ben G, Owner at The Green Room Cafe And Coffee House, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
I apologize for your lousy dining experience. Please know that The Living Room is under new ownership and a new name. We are now "The Green Room Cafe and Coffeehouse"
Please try us out.

“I am local to Hendersonville. When I am...”
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I am local to Hendersonville. When I am in no rush, in a lazy mood and want a sandwhich and a great cup of joe, the Living Room is usually where I hand up. (warning do not expect to be in and out in less than 1 hour if there are a few patrons already, unless all you are having is coffee and cheesecake)
The atmosphere is super relaxed, comfy and has more light than the other coffee house on Main.
The food is prepared with delicate attention with fresh products and it shows. The sandwhiches are simply awesome.
And finally the cheesecake, I am NOT a cheesecake person, but this one must be laced with heavenly purity. It is dense yet fluffy and airy. You positively must give it a try!
Overall I highly recommend the Living Room.

San Diego, CA
“A nice surprise”
Reviewed October 13, 2009

The actual name of the restaurant is the Living Room Coffeehouse and Cafe. I was intrigued by the name and peaked inside to see that the decor really looks like they set up tables inside someone's livingroom. The food and staff was outstanding....a real treat. As we waited for the food, we had fun playing with the Trivial Pursuit cards at the table. And yes, they have great coffee too....and Sandy's Cheesecake was a real NY cheesecake. Well done!

Hendersonville, NC
“My favorite local coffee shop (and the food's great, too!)”
Reviewed January 13, 2009

Love the Living Room coffeehouse! Originally started visiting for the great coffee and their Damn Good Cookies (really, that's what they're called and that's exactly what they are), but have since tried many of the items on their lunch menu. The butternut squash bisque is fantastic, and many of their menu items cater to vegetarians (like my fave, the veggie cuban). Great atmosphere and the staff are friendly and engaging. They also give downtown employees a discount, which I think is a nice show of support for our downtown community. I find them a much more engaging environment than the other coffee shops on Main Street, and they seem to offer a larger variety of coffee and teas.

Atlanta
“Hendersonville's best-kept secret”
Reviewed December 28, 2008

We stopped at this quaint but roomy coffeehouse for a quick bite on our way back to Atlanta after visiting family in Hendersonville. The service was excellent, coffee was wonderful, but the food is what will bring us back to the Living Room Cafe. The specialty sandwiches are meaty and delicious, the homemade potato salad has a unique smoked apple and bacon flavor and the shrimp bisque is out of this world. Don't forget the homemade cheesecake!