“A taste on NC barbacue”

Skipper Forsyth's Bar-b-q
Ranked #4 of 59 Restaurants in Henderson
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I don't know what the best of the meal was because it is a toss up between the friendly service and excellent barbacue with the sides. It is one of those places that you would expect see on the Andy Griffith show. We were greeted very warmly when we came in and the warmth continued throughout our stay. I could tell that this is a place where the regulars come in on a frequent basis since I heard the staff call several of the customers by name. The barbacue was some of the best I ever had along with the hushpuppies and side orders. I would highly recommend this place and I plan on stopping back by when I'm through this way again.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Ate here twice in 2 weeks on the way to & from NY. Loved the Fried Chicken! BBQ was also great. A Must if you are in the neighborhood.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stopped in on 8/23/13 at 8:30 pm, 30 min. before closing. Service was really nonexistent. Was told that most food was out so not much in selection. I was pleased to see a variety of sidedishes on menu but upon inquiring waitress said most were either canned or frozen. I ordered a pulled pork BBQ plate, my father ordered a chopped BBQ plate. For this being a "BBQ" place, unfortunately they do not know what that means. My dinner consisted of pulled pork, not BBQ. I asked for BBQ sauce and was told they did not have any but they offered a "red" and a "yellow" sauce along with hot sauce on the table. Twice customers came in only to be told they were closing in 15 min. and all food had already been put away so people couldn't order food. There was trash and food on floor under tables that had not been cleaned up. Coleslaw had a vinegar pickled taste to it. My dad's BBQ plate (which he enjoyed) was done in a vinegar hot sauce base, not a BBQ base at all. Staff was talking loudly to each other as they were cleaning up and even talked about how their competitor, Smithfields, who served the same food (stated by waitress) chopped BBQ was better than theirs (stated by same waitress). We asked for more hush puppies and waitress stated that although they had closed down and clean vat, she would get more (which she did somewhat reluctantly), it was a horrible experience. "Restaurant Impossible"....this place desperately needs your help in all areas....food, service, cleaniness.

1  Thank Darlene N
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Skipper's is a local treasure. The Barbeque is famous, but the best plates may be the barbeque chicken, catfish or the oysters. Some say the ribs are the best.
Easy access from I-85 (Satterwhite Point Road) and US 1

Reviewed July 4, 2013

It's a decent mom-&-pop barbecue joint - and I remember it from years ago as being pretty good. After about 15 years, I rediscovered it, and it's just so-so. I guess I have been called a barbecue snob - and I love Eastern NC barbecue done right....but Skipper Forsyth's misses the mark a bit on that one. Too many great barbecue places in Eastern NC to go back to this one again.....

Too bad - now my memories aren't as good as they once were!

1  Thank StevenVA