“Helpful Hints on Staying at this condo”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hatteras Island
The Villas of Hatteras Landing
Lakewood, Colorado
“Helpful Hints on Staying at this condo”
Reviewed October 9, 2008

This condo is located on Hatteras Island. The area is very pretty with access to a beautiful beach and Pamlico Sound. The location of the condo is in the middle of the village so your view of the ocean on the first floor is non existent. Homes with views right on the ocean and the sound will block your view. The property manager did tell me that all the condo's are priced the same so ask for a rental on the second floor on the sound side for better enjoyment of the sunsets. The condos also have a nice pool area so this would be a nice area to face. Be aware you will need to carry your suitcases to the second floor.

You will also pay a $25.00 registration fee no matter how many days you are staying. I ended up paying $18.00 to another on line company and still paid the $25.00 fee to the management company. I did talk to the management about taking the registration fee off the bill. No luck there and they have apparently had other people complain about this issue. Make your reservation directly with Kevin .Conner at [-]. You don't have to rent for a week which is also nice.

We were given Condo 105 though lots of units available. The unit is nicely decorated and updated. The unit is pretty small so I think it would be crowded for four adults. The photos online is misleading as it makes the area seem bigger than it actually is. The bathroom is small with shower and tub unit. I think the unit might be fine for two adults and two smaller children. The only bedroom has a king size bed and was very comfortable. The air conditioning units kept the place nice and cool. The unit is pretty dark except for the bedroom. There is a walk out patio with brick pavers. Beware mosguitos make it pretty uncomfortable to be outside in the morning and evening. Be sure and pack bug spray.

I think you could do some light cooking if you wanted to do so.
The kitchen is pleasant though we didn't cook anything. I do think management should supply coffee for the coffee maker in the room. I also would recommend the management company provide some coffee in the office area where nice tables and chairs allow you to comfortably set up your laptop to use the wireless internet.

You will need to bring own shampoo, conditioner, and soap. One very small package of soap is provided.

One other issue we dealt with while we were there concerned the lock on the door. We arrived after hours and found a packet with a key and a note. The lock on the door was in very poor condition and the key didn't want to work. The next morning we reported the issue to the woman in the office. I had to be pretty insistent this wasn't acceptable but she couldn't do anything. It was then reported to the management company and a keyless door lock was installed on the second day of our stay. It didn't make a good first impression but it was taken care of in a timely fashion.

While there we walked a short distance to the beach and found the area to be quite beautiful. Sunsets are gorgeous but you are better on the sound side. Don't miss taking the free ferry to Ocracoke Island. October is really a wonderful time to go. Very peaceful and quiet. Lots of places for rent because it is off season.

• Liked — location, peaceful area, nice king size bed, comfortable
  • Disliked — Door needed fixed, Registration fee, living area small for four people,bathroom, view
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank roxy1947

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed August 17, 2008

I kept looking around the web for reviews of this place on the web before I went, but couldn't find anything, so I swore I would post on tripadvisor to help out others who are looking at staying here...here goes...

I was looking for a place to stay during high season on Hatteras Island- I had a group of four adults, and didn't want to pay thousands of dollars for a place to stay for only a weekend stay. I came across the Villas of Hatteras Landing, a condo community with 1bdrm condo units that sleep up to 4 adults- 1 king size bed in the bedroom, and 1 sleeper sofa in the living room.

Customer Service - making a reservation the website was easy enough, and I received almost instantaneous confirmation that the nights had been booked, along with a helpful email, outling specific things to bring (see amenities below). I was leaving from work on friday, and was going to get there after 9pm when they closed, so I tried to get directions via email about how to check in- I never heard from them. A day before I was to check in though, I called and the woman on the phone was able to give me directions. I also called later on friday evening and spoke to the manager and all the directions were worked out. Again, almost an excellent, but lack of email response warrants an above average rating.

Condition of Unit - these are pretty new units- the one we stayed in seemed to have recently been built, with marble, new paint, and standard condo furniture. Everything was new, but there were a couple of things that kept me from rating it an "excellent". There was no DVD player, there was no alarm clock, and the cookware that was left was horrible- I usually like to cook when I stay near the beach, and it was very difficult to cook up fresh seafood with subpar cookware and utensils. To be fair, each unit is supposedly owned by different owners, so this may be a reflection of the owner of our unit, and not other units. There is a mini rangetop with 2 burners, and a microwave/convection oven - these were sufficient to meet our basic cooking needs during the weekend we stayed.
The unit is compact- with the sofa bed pulled out, there was only a small amount of room to sneak by between the bed and the TV cabinet- it's definitely cozy. There is no dining table, but there is a breakfast bar with 3 stools (may vary by unit). We had a pool view unit (even though we asked for a soundview or limited ocean view), but from walking around the complex, the views would not have been that impressive anyway. The unit was manageable for four adults, but I would say that it definitely would not be able to accomodate any more than that.
With respect to the property, it sits right next to the Ocracoke-Hatteras Ferry Landing, and a mini mall that has restaurants and shops. To get to the beach, you walk to the road, and cross it, and walk another couple hundred yards on a public beach access- took about 5 minutes from the unit to the beach, which is nice and spacious- was never too crowded when we were there.

Amenities - The amenities were pretty basic, and in line with other rental properties that I've vacationed at. They do NOT provide any toiletries, and only a small bar of handsoap, dishsoap, some paper towels and a small bottle of dishwashign liquid. A set of linens and towels are included in each rental, and you can pay a fee for additional towels, and/or maid service. Cable TV, swimming pool, Ice machine (supposedly- never actually verified it).
Nearby, there is a minimall with shops and some restaurants, and there is a gas station and general store/grocery store within about 1/4 mile down the street. Plenty of free parking at the condo too.

Overall, I would say this was an above average to great experience. The unit was cheap, would allow you to book nightly instead of weekly (probably the best part about the rental terms), and the unit was modern and clean. It was close to the beach, and my friends and I had a great time, at a relatively new, well-located condo. Now, at least there will be one review for others to see! My only regret is that I didn't take pictures....

• Liked — new accomodations, close to beach, great value
  • Disliked — no dvd player, cookware was subpar
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends