“Cape Hatteras National Seashore Oregon Inlet Campground” 5 of 5 bubbles

$99.00*
and up
Outer Banks Horseback Ride
More attraction details
Owner description: A national seashore preserve that has the most extensive stretch of undeveloped seashore along the Atlantic coast.
Princeton, New Jersey, United States
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Cape Hatteras National Seashore Oregon Inlet Campground”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We arrived at about 7:00 pm on September 24th without reservations. Only the Okracoke Island campground of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore accepts reservations. There was nobody to welcome us at the ranger station, so we just found an empty camping site and parked. RVs are accommodated on most of the sites, but there is a section set aside just for tents and "quiet" camping. Sites were clean, level, paved, offer no hook-ups and are just a dune away from breathtaking ocean beaches. Shortly after our arrival we were greeted by a campground "hostess" who welcomed us and let us know how we could register and pay the next morning when the ranger arrived. We had our own bathroom facilities, but there are toilets, lavatories and cold showers at several locations. Across the road, there is a dumping station and a supply of potable water for filling tanks. This campsites are an exceptional value, especially for seniors. Beaches are pristine, uncrowded and beautiful. We look forward to staying there again.

We stayed here in a Class A Motorhome.

Visited September 2012
9 Thank Lewis E

Simpsonville, SC
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Long Drive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I guess my expectations were not accurate. I imagined a drive where I would see the shore most of the way. The drive was 2 hours from Kill Devil Hills and there were just a few sights to enjoy, such as the Bodie Island Lighthouse, the Hatteras Lighthouse and a few pull outs with views of the beaches or the marshland. Having traveled extensively, I can say I have seen much more beautiful coastal drives in our country.

Visited March 2013
5 Thank SCfish
Boston, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Right here in the "ol USofA"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

To me, there is absolutely nothing more relaxing than to sit on the beaches along the Outer Banks coast.

Especially in the fall,,when it's quiet,,when it feels like I have the beach to myself.

If I could give it a 10 star review, I would..love the Outer Banks .....OBX

Visited October 2012
4 Thank Gorboo
Massachusetts
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Well worth the drive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

While staying in Kill Devil Hills, we drove as far as we could south...and as far as we could north. The Ocracoke Ferry was closed due to "shoaling", but that was fine. We went out for a walk on the beach and were delighted to find some nice shells, some warming sunshine, lots of pelicans - including one that walked to within a few feet of us! We also saw plenty of gulls, some gannets, but best of all were the dolphins and pilot whales playing off the shore. It all made for a wonderful memory.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Robin N
Greensboro, North Carolina
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“a long drive but worth it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed near Kitty Hawk and drove to Cape Hatteras one day. It is actually a really pretty site. There is a smal museum on the other side of the lighthouse which has some interesting facts. There are also great views and photo ops on top of the lighthouse, although the climb was exhausting and I am in good shape. If you are claustrophobic though you may not want to venture up the lighthouse. There is a parking lot which is right beside the entry and the walk from there to the lighthouse is very short.

Visited May 2012