The Inn of the Patriots B & B
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Super 8 Kings Mountain(Kings Mountain)
Quality Inn(Kings Mountain)
View Hotel
All reviewscooking classwhite house chefrevolutionary warbed and breakfasthistorical artifactshistory lessonprivate bathroomnational military parkamerican historykings mountainother guestsoatmealperfect weekendlittle touchesenjoyed our staybreakfast was deliciouseach morning
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This proved to be quite a relaxing place for a reunion with my college roommate... a very comfortable inn in a small quiet town for much needed R&R and delicious meals -- a perfect setting for two long-time friends to "catch up" with each other. Chef Marti, his wife (and their sweet little daughter) were gracious hosts ... accommodating our needs while also giving guests space to visit and rest... What great fun we had in the kitchen with Marti and hearing his stories along with seeing some of his collection from White House days. If you need a bustling city, Charlotte is a short drive away; but Grover offers opportunity for quiet strolls, and The Inn provides quiet spaces for reading, renewal -- exactly what I needed and wanted!

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank sz m
Reviewed October 10, 2011

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Inn of the Patriots in September. The accomodations were very comfortable, the staff, and hosts were very gracious, helpful, and friendly, and the food was generous and delicious! Marti gave us an excellent tour of the Inn. Glenda showed me the yard with the chickens and the herbs and vegetables. We also met and enjoyed the other guests who were there at the time we were. Sitting on the porch in the rocking chairs was also a treat. The weather happened to be very pleasant during our stay. We felt God's peace in the Inn, and hope to make a return visit sometime in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with the king-sized bed.
Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Maureen B
Reviewed September 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this B&B as part of a LivingSocial deal. We've been to plenty of B&B's, and this one did not meet our expectations. We did not get a warm welcome when we arrived. We also never met the owners, which disappointed us. We heard rave reviews about Chef Marti, but never got to try his food. At breakfast, there was never enough to go around, and the food was only OK. The house has lots of stuff in it, including two gift shops that sell tasteless trinkets. The town of Grover doesn't offer much, but we did visit a nice winery about 40 minutes away (well worth the trip), and we got some good hiking in. Also, the train runs right through Grover, and we could hear it while we were sleeping. It work my husband up a few times. Overall, we will not be back and would not recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
17  Thank VirginiaLover1
Reviewed August 5, 2011

My dear wife and I are traveling with friends, and we capitalized this week (August 3, 2011) on the hospitality and unique personality of The Inn of the Patriots Bed and Breakfast in Grover, North Carolina. Inn keeper and retired U. S. Navy Chief Petty Officer, Chef Marti Mongiello and his wife Stormy, also a Navy veteran, are fun and highly competent as chefs and as inn managers. We took advantage of retired CPO's Mongiello's cooking class option, and the afternoon spent with him in his kitchen was fun, informative, and tasty.

The 130 plus-year-old home that houses the B & B provides a fascinating showcase for the the retired navy man's years of service and adventures as a chef for U. S. presidents, military resorts, and submarine crews. Mongiello's lively story-telling and wonderful imagination entertained us, very literally, for hours. His experience as a chef and resort manager provide the grist for hours of enjoyable tales--as well as guarantee an experienced host for the inn.

The breakfasts we enjoyed made us feel as though we were being given a glimpse of the cuisine of Camp David, and the Victorian motif of the old mansion created an out-of-time feeling--that of stepping back into history.
Our impression of The Inn of the Patriots is positive. The inn is well staffed. The atmosphere is quiet and creative.

Grover, North Carolina, is a very small community only a few miles from the historic Kings Mountain National Battlefield, the site of a significant battle of the Revolutionary War. Our visit to the inn included an afternoon in the kitchen with Marti, and a next day tour of the battlefield memorial park.

We visited for one of our meals the nearby Carolina Crossroads restaurant which we found to be a pleasant experience. The restaurant is a small local establishment that serves good, solid "home-cooking."

We enjoyed our stay at the inn, and we appreciated greatly the hospitality of the inn-keeper, his wife, and the staff.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank K R
Reviewed August 2, 2011

From the first moment of my contact with The Inn of the Patriots for reservations, I knew I was dealing with an exceptional hotel. Chef Marti was most courteous, helpful and professional in responding to my questions and taking care of my requests. Unfortunately, my husband has to have surgery and I was forced to cancel our reservations. Chef Marti was awesome! I absolutely could not believe how comfortable he made me feel and how considerate he was of our situation. NO cancellation charges and a complete refund! WE WILL make this trip later and are looking forward to it with great expectations!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple