“Treated like I was special!”

The Inn of the Patriots B & B
Ranked #1 of 1 Grover B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Radford, Virginia
“Treated like I was special!”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

From the first moment of my contact with The Inn of the Patriots for reservations, I knew I was dealing with an exceptional hotel. Chef Marti was most courteous, helpful and professional in responding to my questions and taking care of my requests. Unfortunately, my husband has to have surgery and I was forced to cancel our reservations. Chef Marti was awesome! I absolutely could not believe how comfortable he made me feel and how considerate he was of our situation. NO cancellation charges and a complete refund! WE WILL make this trip later and are looking forward to it with great expectations!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mommag77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Decatur, GA
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Like many more recent reviews, we stayed here as part of the Living Social deal offered late last year. Heading in to the weekend, I had some concerns given the reviews, but after my stay I feel the need to add my two cents.

Visiting the IotP is very much like staying with relatives; the owners are very personable, very welcoming, and it's obvious they have put a lot of effort into maintaining the atmosphere of the original property. Yes, there are a lot of artifacts, mementos, "decorations" and the like throughout the house. If you like that kind of thing, there will be a lot to keep you interested. If you don't, well you're in for a long weekend.

Our room was very comfortable; we stayed in the Nature & Earth room and all-in-all it was pleasant. The ceiling fan kept things very cool, which was a huge relief from the July heat. Massage chair, foot massage, really fluffy robes, and classical music from the flat screen provided a very mellow atmosphere. Large number of pillows. The bed wasn't too firm but not too soft either. Despite the train (and yes, it's nearby and runs pretty frequently including at night) I slept very well. My wife took advantage of the stacks of books to forget the train.

The shared toilet/bath was not a big issue, but if you're a late-riser you may have to wait a few minutes. There is a second bathroom under the stairs, so you can pretend you are Harry Potter...

Breakfast was good although it's a communal setting, waiting until everyone was seated before stuff came out so if you're in a hurry you may want to ask about your options.

The owners made plenty of plates or glassware available, and my wife and I enjoyed some time in the back garden with a bottle of wine and some cheese during our last night there. A large fridge is available with wine and soft drinks for sale. The city of Grover is tiny. Minutely small. You'd be wise to stop off at one of the larger exits on either side of #106 in case you need something; otherwise you are left with a truck stop for provisions. Between Gastonia and Spartanburg you're covered for wine/contact lens solution/Starbucks in the morning.

Several restaurants in nearby Shelby were recommended by other guests, but sadly we didn't get a chance to check them out. Google/Yelp beforehand to make the most of your plans. One thing I did want to mention was the cooking class. I didn't sign up for it, but I read other reviews that didn't paint a rosy picture. The guests we shared breakfast with described a much more sophisticated menu, so I don't know if IotP took the criticism to heart or if other reviews only focused on one negative. For the record, this past weekend guests told us they made scampi, crème brulee, and seared steak over greens.

Big question time: would I stay here again? The initial stay was a gift, so I didn't shoulder the cost (I did have to shoulder the state tax, but I felt that was fair). It was comfortable, safe, very homey and loaded to the gills with character. But, like staying with a relative, no matter how comfortable you start to feel like getting out. This isn't a mark or slate against IotP, just how I felt. If you're over 40 and really like history, you'll enjoy this place immensely. If you're part of the younger crowd or aren't enamored with history, you'll likely make use of your time just for sleep instead of the experience. I think I would possibly stay again, but only if I wanted the B&B protocol. My wife would take a pass over IotP to stay closer to Charlotte to allow more time for visiting.

Room Tip: The Nature & Earth room is very large and away from the bathroom and owner suite, giving you a l...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank UncleGroucho
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed July 18, 2011

What we found upon our arrival was more than disappointing. The house was packed wall to wall with stuff...not even antiques (although quite a few were)...just stuff. That was fine, and I could deal with that. When we checked into our room, I was quite surprised to find that their idea of a private bathroom was a toilet in one closet and a shower in another closet. Literally, you open the door to the closet and there is a shower curtain hanging in the closet doorway. I knew that the room would be covered with several dolls and other antiques, but they even had creepy dolls peering our from under the bed. And, although I could have made the room work, no one mentioned that it was located right next to the train tracks and that trains would go through 6 times in one night, waking both myself (who is a light sleeper) and my partner (who is the heaviest sleeper I know).

The cooking class as well was disappointing. We started 45 minutes late. The class was to begin at 2, and we started at 2:45. And, we were done by 5:15, which included two 15 minute breaks. Therefore, we definitely didn't get a 4-5 hour cooking class out of it. Even, if you include the dinner and clean up time, we were done by 6pm. And, the kitchen was something that I would be embarrassed to have anyone in, let alone teach a cooking class in. The stove didn't even have temperature marks on it, fly paper hung from the ceiling and the oven vent was held together by at least six 2 foot long pieces of duct tape. There was so much crap everywhere in the kitchen that there was barely room to even turn around. And although he used bleach to clean up, he never checked to make sure the others in the class washed their hands before touching ALL of OUR food. I know I had just washed, but I surely don't know about the others (and perhaps that is why I am horribly sick now). I know that the "chef" kept commenting that he was all about a low key approach. I can appreciate that. I am rather low key as well, but this was just plain sad and unprofessional. I honestly cannot believe that he was a White House Chef. And the chocolate covered strawberries that were to be included in our room....well, they were strawberries that he just squirted some store-bought glaze over. Why do I know this? Because he told us that it was too much work to do actual hand-dipped strawberries, so he just started using store glaze (that didn't even taste like chocolate). Honestly, they were the WORST strawberries I've ever had.

Although I could deal with one or two of these issues, all of them combined resulted in a horrible experience. I just sat in the room the next morning and cried...of course, it didn't help that I was so tired after not sleeping. We stayed for breakfast, but then, we decided we had had enough. I ended up paying for another night at another hotel just not to be woken up by trains. We don't get time off very often, and it is so sad that this is the way that we ended up spending it.

Room Tip: There is NOTHING to do in Grover
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
19 Thank ribar1en
RALEIGH
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed there as a romantic overnight. There really is not much going on in Grover...a Dollar General to walk to. The breakfast was good but the B&B was just filled with trinkets and mementos, really to overflowing, many of which you could purchase in souvenir shops in DC. If you want a visually soothing experience, this isn't your place.

The bed matress was a Days Inn quality. The grounds were not as well kept as many residential backyards.

I take giving this kind of review very seriously. While the hosts did their best to be nice and tell good stories, I would not spend my money on a trip here again. It's marketing but not delivery on the goods.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
19 Thank Someone042_11
Sun City Center, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I originally gave this B&B a great review on Bed&breakfast.com, right after we returned from our weekend getaway. However, we then saw an additional charge of $43 on our credit card from this establishment. Here is what happened: they had a cooking class on Saturday, for which they charge an additional $100 or more per person. My husband attended, but I did not. There were about 12 "chefs" who prepared the evening meal. I was the only one who did not attend the cooking class. However, when it came time to eat, I joined the group with my husband. At least 3 of the "chefs" left right after dinner and did not partake of the meal, so there was a ton of food to be eaten or else thrown away. When we returned from the trip, we realized they charged us $40 after the fact for the meal I ate. When I emailed them, they acted like they were doing me a favor by giving me a promotional rate (we used a "Living Social" certificate, as did everyone else staying there that weekend); well, it was their choice to offer this rate to everyone, not mine. They said that "in society, we have no trouble filling the rooms at our regular rate." Then why go to Living Social to fill up the rooms?? Then they had the audacity to state that the cost of food is going up! Well, believe me, for at least $100 x 12 people, $1200 is more than enough to buy some shrimp, spaghetti, chick peas, salad, bread and dessert fixings!

I wish I had waited to review this Inn on Bed&breakfast.com; I will in the future, since these people charged my credit card after the fact.

Suffice it to say, we will never visit them again, nor will we ever recommend them to anyone else!

Room Tip: Private bath; first floor - top floor is HOT
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
19 Thank jaugusti1950
Cary, NC
Reviewed June 1, 2011

My wife, 7ry old son, and myself stayed here for a night. Not having stayed at a a B&B before I was a little dubious when entering the inn.
However, it really turned out very well. If like me you are into history then coming here is great. Marti is full of stories about the house and the area. There are artifacts and books everywhere to feast your eyes and imagination on.

The breakfast was very good as was mingling wwith the other guests.
A very enjoyable, welcoming place.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Siouville
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 24, 2011

You couldn't ask for better hosts than Marti and Stormy -- and of course their beautiful daughter Rania! And what more can you ask for breakfast than to have it prepared by a Former Executive Chef to the White House?! Situated in a quaint town on the edge of the NC/SC state border, there is the opportunity to stroll around the neighborhood or jump in the car for a short trip to any of a number of local attractions. I highly recommend the Inn of the Patriots to anyone looking for a fun and relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the first floor
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rvabusiness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grover
Holiday Inn Express Kings Mountain
#5 of 8 in Shelby
Hampton Inn Gaffney
Hampton Inn Gaffney
#1 of 8 in Gaffney

Been to The Inn of the Patriots B & B? Share your experiences!