“Horrible, dangerous, dirty: we left immediately”

Rodeway Inn & Suites
Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Greenville
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Horrible, dangerous, dirty: we left immediately”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We booked this as "Choice" members because we were traveling with our dog and we were not expecting 4 stars but a clean place to sleep on a road trip. It was dirty including the toilet and a sticky bathroom floor. In the 15 minutes it took to check in and the decide to leave we saw all sorts of sketchy things. People coming and going like it was a convenient store, others just sitting in cars and more loitering around. We did not feel our vehicle would be safe in the parking lot. This place is BAD news. I am shocked that Choice Hotels would offer it - we are seriously thinking about dropping the Choice hotels over this horrible experience. As frequent long distance travelers we have stayed in plenty of low cost but decent motels, this was not one of them.

Room Tip: Don't even consider this place.
Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SjKal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Lenoir, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I needed a place to stay for an early meeting within 30 minutes of Greenville. Online reservation was no problem through choice hotels. It is an older facility, but was clean and bug free. I had a good nights sleep and was ready to go the next morning. They have only coffee in the desk area in the morning, but there were several chain eateries within sight from the parking lot.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Daniel M
motel6greenville, Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank for taking time to write a response. All the information we collect is used to help improve everyone's experience.
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Well, I booked this hotel only because it was the only hotel showing a room available at the time in the date selected. First, let me say that the room pictured on this page looks NOTHING like what you get! No flat screen TV, not well lit, broken lamps, old furniture and darkly painted rooms. The decor and everything about this place spells DRUGS, HOOKERS, LOW RENT and DESPERATE. The price for this room was also jacked up to a price not even close to the quality you would expect at an average price. Thw linens had hair on them, wrinkled sheets, awful towels, and dirty parking lot. We checked in thinking well, how bad can it really be? We went to dinner and came back nearing dark and saw all the unquestionable and savory characters rolling into this eatablisent, hanging out in the balconies drinking, smoking and looking like a place inviting crime to come here. No security, not well lit and just horrible. Sure, renovated from a MOTEL 6? Okay, ugly dark carpet and ugly darkly painted rooms with no fridge, no microwave, one bat of cheap soap, no other toiletries with broken furniture and scratched up furniture, showers and toilets. Rodeway should be ashamed of this and EXPEDIA should not list this place on their website. Do NOT go to this place! We left without getting a refund and found a wonderful place to stay that was clean, safe, well lit and not much more than this dump.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Tchr15
motel6greenville, Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
I am troubled by your experience at our hotel. We have taken numerous steps to assure the safety and comfort of all our guests. I am looking into the issues you have raised here and will be addressing those with our staff to ensure these are corrected as soon as possible.
We have multiple rooms types available; the room you described are our economy rooms, which offer limited amenities, and are smaller rooms. We clearly state on our website the differences in these rooms types.
The excess activity in the parking lot was associated with the college football game. We encourage tailgating at our property, include the use of our courtyard for grilling, tents and other fan-related activities. I apologize that this activity disrupted your stay.

Travelers are raving about these Greenville hotels

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I just recently stayed at this hotel and it was the worse experience I have ever had. I booked this hotel thru hotels .com and it was the only one in the city that had rooms and I was in the city for a funeral. I booked two rooms and was charged $150 per room. I knew it was a lot of money but I had no choice. When we checked into the rooms I was horrified at what we had gotten. It was so dirty you were almost afraid to touch anything,the curtains would not go all across the windows so people could look right in,I ask for tape but never got any. The bathtub was so filthy you wouldn't dare step in it, a electric fixture in the bath was hanging out of the ceiling. The sink would not drain and no mattress covers on bed.terrible looking people hanging around. I took pictures and plan to send them to The Mayor,health department and everyone else I can. I slept with my clothes on and it would have been nice to have been able to brush my teeth. Do not stay here and I plan to contact Choice Hotels also. I have traveled all over the world and this was the pits. They would not even consider giving me a refund and I cannot believe they could keep a straight face and tell me that.DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helen R
East Bend
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was in Greenville & stay @ this Hotel ( Old Motel 6) rate was good & renovation was going on I got new renovated suite room & its good clerk (Lawrence) told me that they converting to rodeway inn choice hotels brand in next week
I like the location & room rate was good wiil stay again

Room Tip: suites rooms are nice
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank patnaut
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this motel because our friends booked it for us. It was very convenient to where we wanted to go there just wasn't much around the motel. We traveled with our dog. During the night and the early morning hours the next day, my husband took our dog outside and there were quite a few people just loitering around the premises, leaning up against doors and buildings. It made him and the dog uncomfortable. The room itself was just average. The beds were not queen size, the bathroom was very small and cramped. - but it's a Motel 6. I don't guess we could have expected otherwise. Don't expect much besides a bed to sleep in and a place to shower. The room was basically clean, but not fresh-smelling clean. Actually, I kind of wondered when was the last time the bedspreads had been laundered.

I mention our dog for one reason. We spent one night at the motel. She started scratching the next day. By the time we got home that night, she had a full-blown skin infection. I'm not saying the motel or its premises had anything to do with the skin infection, but to me it seemed to be a bit too much of a coincidence. If we had to go back, we'd probably stay there again but not with our dog. Personally, I think I'd save up a bit more money and upgrade to a hotel/motel with a little bit more to offer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I came to visit a friend and needed a pet friendly, inexpensive motel. The moment I got out of my car to check in I was accosted by a resident. I had made my reservation on line and requested a non-smoking room but the first room s-t-u-n-k of smoke. So I was transferred to another room. When I was finally able to get into that room (after two more trips to the front desk) it also smelled strongly of smoke and there were cigarette ashes all along the "head rail" of the bed. At that point I was done and requested a refund. Miranda, at the front desk, was the only bright spot in this whole misadventure. She was friendly, professional and accommodating. Miranda, you are way too good for that dump! After this experience I will never stay in a Motel 6, no matter which one. So, they can leave the light on for me but they will just be wasting energy!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank PoodleMaus
motel6greenville, Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for your review. All the feedback we get, whether positive or negative helps us improve the quality of our service.

First let me say, I will certainly forward your positive remarks to Maranda. She is our most recent addition and has quickly become a valuable employee.

I am sorrowed to hear the problems you had with the room. Unfortunately, without your name I was unable to look up the information about your stay, however, if you will call me at the motel or email me, I will be happy to look up your stay and offer you a discount toward a future stay with us.

We are, unfortunately, aware that many of our non-smoking rooms have been smoked in. This is a problem we inherited when purchasing the property this summer. While we have made efforts to stop this behavior and treat rooms, it is taking time to remove some of the lingering smoke smell in some rooms. The best solution is the removal of carpets, drapes and painting, which I'm happy to say will begin next week.

We have completed most of the structural repair and will begin priming and painting next week with carpeting to follow. A firm date has not be established for furniture and bedding, but the owners have indicated that process will underway prior to December with a completion date sometime in January. Some of the more cosmetic issues are also slated to take place during the next three-four months.

I welcome you and all visitors to Greenville to stop by and see the changes as they take place.
Lawrence