“Good Local Eastern Carolina Q.”

Parkers Barbecue Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 282 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

This is the real stuff from Eastern Carolina! Country Style buffet brought to your table like being at Grandma's and Grandpa's home back in the day. Make sure you bring cash since they don't accept debit or credit cards.. Great food, service reasonable priced. A local favorite when visiting Greenville for a ECU game or just in town.

1  Thank Jeremy_Jill_USMC

Reviewed December 27, 2012

First time visiting Greenville, NC after some post Christmas shopping at the Greenville Mall. Stopped at the Parkers on 264 after recommended by local retail personnel. Step up from the usual fast-food stop, but not as time consuming as a full service restaurant. Ordered the BBQ sandwich and 2 pc. fried chicken dinner w/ 3 small sides. With 2 drinks we paid $15.15 and was surprised they didn't accept credit cards. Cash/checks only. The BBQ sandwich was w/ slaw which I believe is the only way to order BBQ and incl. 2 hush puppies (good) /2 corn sticks (dry). The fried chicken was very good with nice crispy seasoned coating and juicy chicken. The sides we chose was the mac-n-cheese (homemade goodness!), Brunswick chicken stew (tomatoe-y) and slaw (too finely chopped w/ too much vinegar for my taste). In spite of some shortcomings the meal was enjoyable. Definitely something better than the burger/fries alternative.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

for barbecue lovers it is hard to do much better than Parkers. The service is very good,the physical plant is quite clean,servings are generous and price is moderate.After more than 30yrs. of sampling various restaurants I know a good eating place and this is one of them.Purists in E.N C will favor Bea's barbecue in Greenville but for families and singles alike,Parkers will be a clearly more satisfying experience.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have been going to Parker's BBQ since I can remember. It was a Saturday night tradition! The barbecue is great and I love the brunswick stew. I actually like the corn sticks better than the hushpuppies, but both are great dipped in the slaw. The green beans and stewed potatoes are also good. The chicken can be hit or miss at times.

There are two locations in Greenville, one on Memorial and one on Greenville Blvd. I find that the one on Memorial has better service, so I usually go there. The one on Greenville Blvd does not have a wait staff, so you're kind of on your own once you get your food.

It is true that they only accept cash, so make sure that you visit the ATM before you stop. It is well worth the effort!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

As a young child back in the 60's, I traveled with my family to Florida in the summers. We always stopped at Parker's Barbecue in Wilson on our way south. I still remember sitting with the family and loving those hush puppies, that barbecue, and the sweet tea. So I just had to stop at Parker's again on my way through Greenville. My husband and I were told by the waiter that the Parker's in Wilson is no longer owned by the original family, but the two in Greenville still are. The barbecue brought back many memories and the flavor is just as good as ever. It literally melts in your mouth. And the fried chicken is even better - some of the best I've ever eaten. The hush puppies and corn sticks were not as fresh as they could have been, though the flavors were good. We were given cinnamon apples crispitos for dessert on the house. These consist of apple filling surrounded by a tortilla, rolled and fried - not our favorite. But it certainly was nice to receive a free dessert as a first time visitor! At any rate, the barbecue and sweet tea are still terrific and the service was the speediest we'd ever had at any restaurant - ever. Friendly waiter, too. A good place to enjoy old fashioned NC barbecue!