“Property is fine and overall a good experience, but the check-in was unacceptable”

Best Western Plus Suites-Greenville
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Greenville
Reviewed February 26, 2013

For the benefit of travelers wanting a review let me get the synopsis out of the way with my diatribe to follow:

Overall, the property seemed to be well maintained.

The suite was spacious, clean and the beds comfortable.

This is my 2nd stay in the area and this location is as good as it gets relative to ECU. Every dining option under the sun is within 3 miles on or just off Greenvile Blvd.

The "breakfast" is nothing to set the alarm for: just about everything is packaged and processed (save the fruits and beverages). But if a yogurt and cereal gets your day moving, you're good to go.

The fitness room is typical of most hotels: its there to satisfy the most ardent workout types.

Small swimming pool.

And now the diatribe:

Full disclosure: I know nothing about owning/running a hotel, but I have stayed in enough of them to know that at check-in, as is life itself, you only get one chance to make a first impression. In the case of this check-in, if I were owner-operator, I would have a come-to-Jesus meeting with the young woman manning the desk on the night of 2/22/13.

We walked in and an older woman behind the desk was in the middle of some transaction,but greeted us saying "someone" would be with us shortly. OK, fair enough. Five minutes. Ten minutes. Finally the woman stops what she is doing and goes and retrieves a younger woman who, based on how she was cleaning her teeth with her toungue, must've been in the middle of dinner. Hey, people have to eat, but could she show some manners?

In what could only be described as a detached and bothered manner, she proceeded to check us in. No "Good evening and welcome...". No courteous, professional demanor. Just the attitude "Let's get you two checked in and me back to my food". Fine, we were hungry too.

We get our key, go to the second floor and realize our room is going to be down at the end of a LONG hallway where we see people or kids (did I mention the hallway was long) running in and out of rooms. Now the hotel at about 7PM appeared to be empty so I said to my wife "We're not staying on an empty floor near the only noise eminating from it". So we went down and requested a room closer to the elevator. Again the check-in clerk acted as if this request was an afront to her education. No "I apologize for the inconvenience" or how about "Actually sir, we are at n% capacity, but let ME HELP YOU". None of that.

So we get back upstairs to the new room, sufficiently away from the noise, and the key doesn't work. So my wife says she will go down and inform the front desk. My wife comes back with the same observation about the clerk and her reply about the key is "to jiggle the handle". What? Instructions on entering a room? If it were me and I was't being bombarded with check-ins I would have gone upstairs to see the issue for myself.

My wife and I felt equally about this: the worst check-in experience in our lives. I'd say someone needs some remediation regarding customer service. We will be spending more and more time in Greenville with our son entering ECU in the Fall. I won't put up with this kind of service again.

BTW: the older woman at the desk was quite pleasant and tried to be of some help.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Retrograde613
celeste s, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Suites-Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

I sincerely apologize about your check in inconveniences you encountered. While the service and experiences are unjustifiable and will be addressed, I want you to know that we do try to make sure that situations like you described do not occur to our guests at check in. Our guests should never feel the way you describe or that their issues are not valued.

We strive to go above and beyond our guest expectations. Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to provide feedback to us whether positive or negative, as it helps us be successful in the future.

We do apologize again for your disappointments. If you have any further questions, comments or suggestions, we would love to hear more from you.

We hope to see you again real soon.

Warmest regards,

Kristy Crisp

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here several times in past. 3 years and it has always been clean and accomadating. Nice beds and pleasant staff. Hotel is abit away from the bustle of the action but not in a bad way.
I'll stay again and I recommend you stay too

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 30, 2012

The Best Western Plus Suites in Greenville, NC is a good place to stay. The hotel is very nice, the rooms are large and the bed very comfortable. The hotel is a bit out of the way location-wise, but a good value just the same.
Breakfast is short in time ending at 9:00 which is kind of early in my opinion. The breakfast is typical, nothing to write kudos about.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TracyW610
celeste s, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Suites-Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again real soon. If you miss breakfast next time, please feel free to come to the front desk and ask our staff to get you a muffin or other item from the kitchen. Coffee is available 24/7. Thanks for your review.
Celeste Stephens
Corporate Sales Mgr.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I recently stayed over the weekend to visit family for the holidays, and this is is by far one of the best hotels I've ever been to. The staff was extremely nice, housekeepers as well as front desk, and the facility was very clean. The rooms are spacious and the location is convenient, yet not right in the middle of the hustle and bustle. I will definitely be recommending this hotel to family and friends!

• Stayed: December 2012
celeste s, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Suites-Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Thank you for your kind words. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed December 22, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I came to Greenville NC from NYC the week of Nov.12th. to see if it was a place I would like to relocate to,and I must say the Best Western Plus Suites of Greenville was very welcoming to me and my family. Thanks to Ms.Jamie S. and Ms.Belinda of Housekeeping Staff, I felt safe,relaxed and at home.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank your for your review of our hotel. It is so nice to hear good things about our housekeeping staff and the work they do to keep our guests happy and your rooms ultra clean. I will share this review with them. Hope to see you at our property again!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed here the night before an ECU game and found it to be excellent. The rooms are HUGE! The service form every staff member was friendly and very helpful. The hotel is very clean as were the rooms with thermostats to allow you to regulate the temperature you like. . The free Internet Wifi was very fast. The breakfast was not exactly as labeled. They indicate a full hot breakfast....well, it was the same as the Hampton Inns and other such hotels have. They had a fancy pancake machine and a microwave to warm the cold items. Now, it was very good and provided us with what we needed for breakfast, but they should just label it continental plus...or complimentary breakfast. There are plenty of restaurants in the area.

All in all, I would highly recommend the BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Greenville location, and will certainly stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: Second floor on the back side of the hotel for the quietest rooms.