“Good hotel, lousy policy”

Best Western Plus Suites-Greenville
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Greenville
Reviewed October 28, 2012

good hotel, big rooms close to the ECU campus, stadium and everything good in Greenville. The only problem is their cancellation policy. While most hotels will allow same day or 24 hours, they require 72 hours or they charge full rate. That is not the problem.... it's the flexibility of their policy. We have stayed here many times, but this weekend their was hurricane Sandy off the Carolina coast. They wouldn't let people cancel even if it was a safety issue and the state of NC had declared a State of Emergency for the coast. All rational thought has gone out the window on this one. It makes me consider changing back to another hotel out of principal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ECUPirates64

Reviewed October 8, 2012

As a frequent traveler, I was extremely disappointed at both the service and quality of stay at Best Western. The hotel is infested with COCKROACHES. I was able to catch the 3.5-4 inch cockroach in a glass and bring it to the front desk and I was met with indifference. When the manager called, they felt it only fit to comp me 20% of my stay and said that these type of things happen despite spraying. In my 20 years of travel, this is the first time I have ever encountered this and I will never stay at a Best Western again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Frequent_Traveler615
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I'm a loyal and avid Hilton guy for business and pleasure but based on the TripAd reviews AND a wonderful experience I had at the Best Western Plus in Dillsboro NC a couple months ago, I was willing to try out this hotel. The location is a bit out of the way but G'ville is a smaller city so nothing seems very far away. Check-in was great. Sierra was a delight. She was very polite and courteous. From there, the experience went downhill. The room just felt sparse and barren, like a cheap hotel. The air was off so it was 81 degrees in the room according to the thermostat. The AC wouldn't cut on when i lowered the temp so I had to go to the window unit and actually turn it on. I set the temp at 71. It took a while to cool but confident that it would, we settled in and fell asleep. Around 4 am, I woke up and found the room to be back at 76 degrees. I need a cold room to sleep and woke up sweating. I could not get the A/C to come back on. After messing around with it, I finally got the fan to work which at least moved the air around but did not cool the room and I basically did not sleep much after that. When I asked at checkout, I was told there is a fail-safe when the air is set for a temperature 10 degrees or more from the actual room temp. Maintenance (she said) would have to come and reset it. Huh? When I got up to shower, I found two 1/2 inch bugs crawling around on the bathroom floor as well as some flying thing that I had to kill. I'm a reasonable guy and the VERY slow internet and few carpet stains in our room would not have caused me to leave a bad review but the a/c and bugs necessitate it. The next time I'm in Greenville, I will trust my instincts and stay at the Hampton.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hampton instead.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 2BEis2SKI
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed for just one night and moved on.
The front desk experience was without issues.
The rooms were very large and fairly clean (I'm fairly picky).
Bed was very comfortable.
Shower had good pressure and decent shower head.
If they don't have a glass door shower (this didn't), at least I do like the outward curving shower curtain rail, which means you don't get the shower curtain touching you.
The breakfast was the usual fare (cheap, poor quality) for this class of hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This was, by far, the nicest experience we've had at staying away from home. The staff at the registration desk was very friendly & helpful. We needed to extend our stay for an extra night & everything was handled smoothly. The young lady at the "continental breakfast" was also friendly & helpful w/helping w/the use of the waffle iron, etc. The room was on the first floor fairly close to an exit & the room was very clean & welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had a downstairs room near the entrance with two beds, a pull-out sofa, several desks, a refrigerater, and a microwave. With two teenage boys, this worked beautifully. There was a fitness center and pool that they loved. I really liked the homey atmosphere and not having to go up several floors and down a long hallway to get to my room. I plan to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I travel frequently to Eastern North Carolina and am always looking for clean hotels whose accommodations offer good value. During my most recent trip (June, 2012), I followed the recommendations of other TripAdvisor travelers and stayed at the Best Western Suites Hotel in Greenville. I found the rooms to be clean, the breakfast good and the staff very friendly and helpful. I was so impressed that I plan to stay there on my next visit and will recommend it to friends and family.

cruisinpro