“Ok”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Greenville, North Carolina
“Ok”
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

This environment is elegant. Nice tablecloths. The food is ok. A little overpriced. Few options for the non meat eaters.

Nashville, Tennessee
“A Rediscovered Gem”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I first knew the Plum Tree Bistro when it was in Salter Path, NC, 13 years ago. I came here because the name resonated somehow and I checked the restaurant's website. Only after I was seated, reading about the unusual floor (in a lugubriously long explanation on the menu), that I realized this was the new incarnation of the only decent place to eat, at the time, along the Emerald Isle strip. This Greenville version was great. The chipotle shrimp appetizer would be fine for many, but the shrimp still had their tails on, which everyone seems to do, and I dislike because I don't like picking up my food with my hands. The Australian lamb chops served with mashed potatoes and excellently lightly steamed vegetables were grilled to perfection. So good that I picked them up, after eating them in a civilized fashion, to gnaw away every last morsel I could get. Service was just right, and it was nice to have the owners come by and talk for a short time. Figure out how to get there and you'll be rewarded. Use Staples as your landmark; it's right along from it. I'd have liked a description of the wines by the glass. The menu is quite large, with four appetizers and four entrees as specials.

• Visited October 2013
Coastal NC
“Excellent Chef, Husband and staff? Not so Hot”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have frequented this restaurant for years, taken my spouse there and entertained business clients in Plum Tree's private dining rooms more times than I can count.

If I can say anything about Plum Tree, it is very consistent. When I say "consistent," this is what I mean:

1. Cuisine: Consistently delicious. Chef Heather is involved in all details of your meal preparation and it shows. The menu has been the same for many years and all of the dishes have met our high expectations. I rarely say this, but I can't ever remember having a bad meal at this place.

2. Wait Staff: Consistently inconsistent. On some evenings, we have great service and on others the wait staff is either pompous, clueless and/or incompetent.

It goes without saying that both great cuisine AND excellent service is the expectation in an establishment such as this. A clear lack of server training is evident, which brings me to my last point...

3. The Owners: Chef Heather and her husband own and operate the Plum Tree Bistro. Chef Heather is consistently gracious and more than happy to go out of her way to make the meal special.

Sadly, her husband is consistently rude, pompous and unprofessional; it's doubtful he could manage a snow cone stand. I completely agree with the previous TripAdvisor poster that stated "Her husband/owner is rude and treats customers as if they are doing him a favor by being there."

In summary, if you visit Plum Tree, you'll be impressed by the food but the service is a toss-up. Stay away from the husband/owner and you may be OK. This restaurant probably survives on drug rep dinners, but it sounds like that drug rep dinners will be going away with all of the changes to healthcare coming soon.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bunky1998
“Foodie find!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Rare sesame encrusted tuna with an awesome wasabi sauce was pure perfection. And the serving was huge! Duck with blueberry sauce was a second outstanding dish. Five amazing soups....we were given a sampler of all...loved the tomato basil the best. The chef and wait staff are small town friendly, not big town snooty. It is a gem of a place. I cannot wait to go back. If you like chains, this is probably not for you. If you want unusual dishes with fresh ingredients, don't mind paying $25-30 for an entree (with salad) and having a leisurely dinner, give them a try. If you are a foodie, definitely a hidden gem!

Visited August 2013
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Great potential if the owner was not there”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This place has a fantastic chef that serves great dishes. Her husband / owner is rude and treats customers as if they are doing him a favor by being there. I decided I will not subject myself to his "attitude" ever again.

• Visited September 2012