“Everything was good, the waitress was very accomidating”
Review of Tripps Restaurant - CLOSED

Tripps Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My wife and I went for Lunch on a Wednesday, the place was relatively full, I would say about 2/3, which isn't bad for a Greenville restaurant. This was our first time here, it's your typical family dining Americana place, with cloth napkins and sturdy silverware.

The menu was average to large, with a typical selection of salads, sandwiches, steaks and pastas.

They had a menu insert with an interesting shrimp with a spicy sauce, I was interested, by my wife noticed a fire cracker shrimp on the regular appetizer menu. We gave that a try. It wasn't bad, it arrived in a large Margareta glass, with a bed on wine on the bottom to leave the shrimp on the top. It also came with small wooden skewers (like large toothpicks) to eat them with. I liked it, it was, breaded, fried and tossed with a slightly spicy sauce. I am used to Bangkok style shrimp (Lemongrass in Winterville does an excellent job with these), and it was similar, just not nearly as much sauce. I give it a 8/10.

:) We asked to alter each dish, and the waitress was very accommodating. My wife got the salmon salad, but instead of the greens that come with the salmon salad, she asked for the greens that come with the southwest salad (including a few tortillas and a generous portion of guacamole). So she basically got the southwest salad, but with the salmon on top rather than whatever usually comes with it. No prob! The salmon and salad were very good.

I got the fish tacos, but switched out one of the sides for a bowl of French onion soup. :) I love Panera, but they just disappoint me with their onion soup, the Tripps soup was exactly the way I like it, a generous portion of cheese covered to top completely, you had to dig through it with a spoon. Our meal came with a loaf of bread, most of which wound up in my soup. The bread had a garlicy crust that was pretty good. I let my wife eat the top and I used the loaf to absorb soup. The fish tacos themselves were not bad. The fish came in cubes, breaded and apparently deep fried, then scooped into the bottom of the shell. Both of the tacos had a very generious scoop of guacamole on top. The led to a temperature situation in which the bottom of the taco was hot and the top cold, but if that doesn't bother you, then it was pretty good.

Our waitress was top notch, she was very attentive and accommodating to our requests to adjust the dishes on the menu. We were very happy with Wednesday's lunch. My only suggestion would be to add a few more interesting items to the menu, but I honestly have no complaints.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Went in for dinner with family (8 people) and had a small wait (30 minutes) Got seated and it took our server about 10 minutes to show up. Took drink order and it was another 10 minutes. By then we knew what we wanted but she would be right back. Needless to say it didn't get much better. Food order was placed and it took 30 minutes for MOST of it to arrive. One order the waitress forgot to put in, two were wrong and one was sent back due to being undercooked! A total waste of an evening and the omitted order showed up as the rest of us were finishing. Managements reply? Would you like the order to go? Blamed problems on short kitchen staff and no adjustment to bill at all! Bill was over 130 not including tip. There was a tip but it was not the usual 20%

1  Thank J D
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This review may not be fair to Tripps as it will be done from a somewhat dulled memory. My excuse being that my team's biggest rival for the premier league had just let slip a 3-0 lead and hence I had been celebrating...
I went here with work colleagues and customers as they had recommended the place for dinner.
I seem to remember it was a very good restaurant and I certainly polished off my steak. My boss, who is a fussy eater, didn't finish his and he fussed but everyone else seemed to be happy with what they got.
The drinks also flowed and they seemed to have a great selection.
Overall it was a good experience.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

When you travel a lot and revisit restaurants, it is not unusual to walk out saying it wasn't as good I remember.....But Tripps is the exception. Over the last 8 years, I have eaten there maybe 16 times and I can honestly say that the food is consistently good, service is good, and if you are not happy ( very hard to get a steak right for my wife) they do everything possible to please you.

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

I usually attend the one in Garner and I've always had an enjoyable time with the service and food. Came here to visit my girlfriend and we came here for brunch. The food was amazing and I have to say... The price was great as there was an over abundance of food on my plate, to the point I couldn't finish it all. The staff were friendly and engaging. The establishment was clean including the bathrooms. I'll be back again.